4th Annual Mdba Dog Owners Choice Awards

Steve

Felicity Paterson from YYSUR [dogz havahug] has been nominated for Best Breeder of the Year

What an awesome story and nomination for Felicity which reminds me once again that if we didnt have these awards there are so many 'WOW' stories I wouldnt hear.

Well done Felicity ! http://www.freewebs.com/yysurhavanese-basenji/

Hope to see you in Melbourne on the 19th of March

Julie

:cheer: OMG thank you so much. I am shocked and stoked at the same time. Cant beleive I have been nominated for something I enjoy doing. So happy :(:)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jana Berg [dogz cockerlover] has been nominated for Excellence in Contribution or leadership in Canine Affairs

Her nomination spoke of how much she has done behind the scenes to help people and their dogs.

Well done Jana

Cant wait to catch up again in Melbourne!

Julie

Jana Berg [dogz cockerlover] has been nominated for Excellence in Contribution or leadership in Canine Affairs

Her nomination spoke of how much she has done behind the scenes to help people and their dogs.

Well done Jana

Julie

Go Jana!! :thumbsup::laugh::(

If only i had Beanie when the nominations happened - could have been Breeder of the Year!!! :)

Edited by kitty

Well done Jana

Julie

Go Jana!! :laugh::laugh::bolt:

If only i had Beanie when the nominations happened - could have been Breeder of the Year!!! :D

THANKU Julie for a little ray of sunshine ,in what has been a very dull few weeks for me, I feel humbled by this award nomination:was great chatting with u ,& sincere thanx for the fantastic job u do ,

sincere thanx also to the person that took the time to nominate me .

I love doing for others . .

congratulation to all nominated folk

Lisa Marie Ford [Ellz- dogz] from Ellz staffords and American Cockers has been nominated for Master Breeder of the Year

Her puppy buyers are certainly very happy with their dogs and the way Ellz has provided them with support and help!

Job well done Lisa

Take a bow and it will be good to meet up in person at the Jika.post-199-1294187527_thumb.jpg

Peter Levett & Pauline Gill</SPAN> of Tapua Labradores have been nominated for Master Breeder of the Year.

This nomination spoke of what these guys do to ensure they breed only the best puppies and the fantastic relationship they develop with their puppy buyers.

It was my pleasure to speak to them regarding their nomination and cant wait to catch up again in Melbourne.

Well done guys

Take a bow!

Julie

Clint Brittain and Jane Millard have been nominated for Master Puppy Buyers of the Year.

I really enjoyed chatting with Jane who had the most wonderful things to say about her dogs ' breeder and her dogs.

They are also coming to the awards evening in March and have accepted their free MDBA membership too!

See you there!

Julie

Nerrida Scott from Rosebird Labs has been nominated for Master Breeder of the Year.

Nerrida's nominations spoke of sound knowledge of her breed and the extra lengths she goes to in order to try to get it right.

Her puppy buyers speak of her with such high regard it was certainly a plasure to speak with her and tell her personally what a great job she is doing

Well done Nerrida

I hope you can make it to Melbourne.

Julie

Lesley Stewart - dogz goldchow has been nominated for Excellence in Service and has refused the nomination as she is on our board of directors for both the MDBA and Pacers and felt it was a conflict for her to accept.

So in respect for her and the person who has nominated her I would like to share this with you all because I think you will agree that she deserves the recognition and if not by nomination at least acknowledgement.

I would like to nominate Leslie Stewart for the Excellence in Contribution and/or Leadership in Canine Affairs.

I would like to nominate her for the effort that she has put in with the 12th of May tragedy where an ex -member of MDBA was seriously burnt and a number of her dogs were killed by a house fire.

I have known her for a number of years and have seen the work she has put into both MDBA and Pacers. I met her at a dog show with her beautiful 4 legs kids. I would like to explain the events of that terrible day in May.

My day started as normal with getting the children off to school. It was 8.00am in the morning and Margaret, who lives in our granny flat and also a MDBA member was leaving for town for an appointment. So I decided to get a coffee and relax for a while the house being all quite. While having my coffee on this morning I could hear Margaret's phone ringing and ringing repeatedly. I was thinking that whoever it was must need her. But knowing she was out I let it go. I went by doing my usual chores of the morning when my phone rang. I answer it and it was Lesley and she was in tears she was asking me where was Marg. I told her she was in town at an appointment. She asked if I knew where and I did luckily. Lesley told me that there had been a fire at Jane's house and dogs had been killed and Jane was burnt and she needed Marg's help to rescue the dogs that didn't get killed in the fire. I told her to hang on and I would get back to her as I would endeavor to find Marg. Well then it was all action I phoned where Marg had her appointment just catching her as she walked out the door. I told Marg what had happen and she said that she would be at Leslie's in about ½ hour. I rang Leslie back and told her to sit tight and Marg was on her way.

Within and hour of receiving the news Leslie had organized a rescue mission to retrieve the dogs that had survived the fire. She had her dog trailer on, blankets, sheets, water, leads, collars, Pet packs and was ready to go when Marg arrived at her house. With numerous people on the telephone trying to find out information about what had happen, Leslie and Marg set off as it was a three hour drive to Jane's house. As I also knew Jane personally I started to ring around and find out where she had been taken. I also had the news on and was watching for news updates as I had been to Jane's house and knew some of the dogs she owned. Once I found information I was on the phone to them both telling of them where Jane had been taken and I saw on the news the RSPCA taking the dogs from the burnt out ruins of the house. As I knew some of the dogs I could tell them that I had seen Shandy, Marjorie, boxer puppies and Cav's. As to how many no one knew. It was a very daunting trip to Brisbane for both ladies as it was a much unknown thing they would face. They first went to the house to find it totally destroyed by the fire. Both of ladies knowing Jane so well went looking for any dogs that didn't make it. They found some and wrapped them up in blankets which they had brought with them. Both of them were totally gutted at what they found. But both of them kept going which was no mean feat for anyone being faced with tragedy. I know I could not have faced what they did on that day.

With people from MDBA, Paces and I we found out information that help them continue their rescue mission. We had found out that Jane had been taken to Royal Brisbane Hospital and the dogs taken to RSPCA. With this information and names of people they needed. They were off again to RSPCA which is on the other side of Brisbane. This was a mammoth task in itself, with the dog trailer on and map in hand they set off for RSPCA. When they had arrived it was around 4.30pm in the afternoon which of course was peak hour traffic wise and with a trailer on even made it more stressful. They met the RSPCA official and he was so nice (from their reports), Leslie and Marg went with him to see the dogs that had survived. When they saw who was there it was very upsetting as they knew that a lot of Jane's beloved dogs had not survived the fire. In total there was 14 Cav's, 2 Cocker Spaniels, and 3 boxer puppies. All the dogs were terrified as you could well understand as what they had been through that day and not knowing where their mum was would have been more distressing for them. The RSPCA released all the dogs to Leslie that afternoon. So Leslie and Marg packed them all up and made them all comfortable for the long trip back to Leslie's place. It took them many hours to get home as they had to stop to check on the dogs and give them water and toilet stops. With 19 dogs on board this took some time. I kept in constant contact with them all the way as to the progress knowing it had been a heart retching day for all. They arrived at Leslies late in the night. Both ladies along with George help to settle the dogs in. Both Leslie and her husband worked late into night and wee hours to do this. Marg had rang me before she left and said that she was bring home some dogs. I had already fed all her dogs and put them to bed for the night. When I knew she was bring home some of the dogs I started to organize dogs trolleys for them as I didn't know how many she was bring home and their condition. When Marg finally arrived home I was ready for her, she had the two cockers and the boxer puppies. I help her settle them in for the night and made a cuppa, with ever one settled it was off for some well deserved rest for all.

The next day was the start of 6 very busy months for Leslie. I simply don't know how she coped with all the extra dogs. But Leslie was simply amazing a tower of strength. Leslie simply didn't just have to feed 14 extra dogs she had the welfare of all of them to consider too. The very next day it all started with her having to get the vet to come out and check all the dogs over to make sure they were all well and any injuries could be treated. As with 14 dogs Leslie had and the 5 more Marg brought back, to look at the vet spent most of the day with the dogs checking them over, giving them medication etc. Leslie even organized feed and people to go and look after two horses that were at the property where Jane lived. She called on lots of favors from people all over Brisbane and all were happy to help anyway possible. The next weeks were a blur to everyone, but Leslie stood strong, organizing feed for the dogs, vets to come and check and also organizing the many volunteers that offered time to help. All the dogs needed weekly grooming so a roster was put into place with volunteers coming and going helping her with many jobs that needed to be done. Along with other MDBA members she set up places where people could donate items for the dogs. Jane was well known in the dog world so many people wanted to help. Leslie coordinated all of this while looking after the extra dogs she now had housed in her boarding kennels. She had people picking up donated dog food for her from all over the place. All while she was in constant contact with Jane's daughters about the health of their mother.

With all the extra work that came with caring for 14 extra dogs, Leslie was a tower of strength to everyone throughout the whole 6 months. I think a lot of people didn't and still don't realize what Leslie has done. I saw what went on behind the scenes that most people didn't see. Leslie would be up at the crack of dawn every morning to start what I would call a hectic day. Along with the 14 extra dogs she also had her own dogs to care for and them being a breed that needs a lot of grooming her day would only end when the sun went down and then it would be for her a night on the phone trying or organize things for the next day and answering the many messages that had been left during the day. So many of a day would end around midnight for her as she would be working on paperwork when it got too late for her to ring anyone else. Then the next day would be here sooner than you could think and it would start all over again for her. In between all of this she would find the time to make the trip to Brisbane to see Jane in hospital and give her reports on how her dogs where doing and also the sad news that many dogs didn't make it. Which was heart breaking in itself?

The stress that Leslie has endured over the last six months is simply indescribable. But not once have I heard Leslie complain. She has been a tower of strength for all people connect in this tragic situation that occurred in May 2010. She put her life and business on hold to care for these dogs. She has gone beyond the call of a normal human being and for this I would like to nominate her this award as I believe that she truly deserves the reconnection for Excellence in Contribution and/or Leadership in Canine Affairs.

Kim

Edited by Steve

Kim Brooks dogz MadWoofter has been nominated for Best Pet sitter/ walker of the Year.

This nomination spoke of all the extra things Kim does to help people as well as her reliability and concern for all things canine.

See you in Melbourne Kim !

Job well done.

Julie

:thumbsup:

Kim Brooks dogz MadWoofter has been nominated for Best Pet sitter/ walker of the Year.

This nomination spoke of all the extra things Kim does to help people as well as her reliability and concern for all things canine.

See you in Melbourne Kim !

Job well done.

Julie

Congratulations kim ,another angel in the dog world ,so well deserved

Lilli Grgat [dogz lilli] of Takas Anatolians and Volkodav Central Asian Shepherd Dogs

has beeen nominated for Master Breeder of the Year.

Lilli's nomination spoke of her passion for her breeds and the lengths she goes to ensuring she breeds the best possible dogs .

It also spoke at length about her dedication and the way she has been able to build relationships with her puppy buyers with one declaring that Lilli was her ehro!

Job well done Lilli and Im so glad you will be able to attend the dinner and awards presentations at the Jika on the 19th of March.

Good Girl

Julie

Once again Margaret Coles of Moolarben Cocker Spaniels has been nminated for Master Breeder of the Year.

Most will know that Marg has won this title for the last 2 years and she is one hell of a breeder and a hell of a lady.

Margs nomination went for 10 pages and the content was inspriing to say the least. She most certainly is very much exactly what we feel is agreat breeder.

Someone who not only leaves her mark in a very postive fashion in her breed but who has had such a huge impact on the people who she has handed one of her puppies to as pets and life long companions.

Its very much my honour to say again - Job very well done Marg and its my honour and pleasure to know you and have you as an MDBA Breeder member

See you in Melbourne.

Julie

Clint Brittain and Jane Millard have been nominated for Master Puppy Buyers of the Year.

I really enjoyed chatting with Jane who had the most wonderful things to say about her dogs ' breeder and her dogs.

They are also coming to the awards evening in March and have accepted their free MDBA membership too!

See you there!

Julie

:love: Cool.

• 2 months later...