Monthly Expenses For Larger Breeds...

Nadine83

Approx $100 a month for our spoilt Dobe.

Food, wormers. No flea treatment because we don't need it.

Add a random flea collar once or twice a year.

Add the random doggy bed/mattress/toy.

Does not include vet costs. We are putting out for meds and the occasional visit now as she is getting older. But younger, healthy dogs don't have that expense.

Maybe put a bit aside for your dog's old age. :grouphug:

If you are going to do the annual vaccinations, add a couple of hundred a year for that.

We don't carry pet insurance. I did the figures once and decided it was not worth it. We are well ahead by not doing so. Luck maybe. ;)

One can always opt to run a special account (maybe with ING) to cover emergencies.

I reckon we spend about $70 a month on food, flea/tick treatment and wormers.

About $500 year on vet fees - checkups etc (Few small ongoing issues)

About $400 year on toys

And I reckon theres probably more too that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Giant Breed

Food - $200 (dry food plus bones, raw, trainign treats and extras)

Insurance - around $60 a month.

Worming/ Fleas etc - around $20 a month if only treating once a month.

Medicated shampoo and oil treatments - probably around $20 a month (at least)

Other costs:

A course of antibiotics is around $70.

Beds are on average $200

Coat for house - around $75 and outside around $120.

Crates are around $200.

Vax - will titre test so around $150 for that (would not be every year)

Desexing - around $250.

Leads, bowls, toys etc all cost more for larger dogs.

Then there is the DogsNSW membership, breed club membership, council registration...

Edited by Danois

At a guess approx $150 per month in food, wormers, insurance and other bits and pieces (grooming products etc)

Though apart from insurance it is never that regular, we might buy $50 worth of meat one week, then $60 on Interceptor (wormers) another week, then nothing for a bit, then a few supplements for meals another week...

Then there are the things that are not neccessities like a new leather leash and collar (around $100), or a coat for winter ($50-$100 each) that I tend to buy every once in a while. Or little things like training treats/toys, new bowls, blankets etc.

Also registration once per year and annual check up at the vets.

Its all depends on the dog and any health issues it may have, food and pet insurance and heartworm you are looking around $150 a month for a large breed perhaps less, I have over budgeted a but, if i added in all our allergy related expenses it would probably put anyone off owning a dog lol!

wow he is spoilt.

i buy about $25.00 worth of cheapie biscuits which leo( very large dally) gets 1 margarine container full per day and is still gaining weight. also feeds the 4 small dogs as well for a whole month.

i bought some leads a harness and a collar last week all on sale they cost $26.50.... i haven't bought any toys for a while...

yeah i am a cheap skate.

I prefer to live in ignorance of what my two GSDs cost me per month :laugh:

With 3 Rottweilers (and 1 pug) I just don't want to know what they cost either. :laugh:

I added up just my vet fees for year once and nearly fainted - I always prefered to live in ignorance! One old Dobe, a young one that took heaps to feed and a very oversized Stafford with major skin issues-nup never wanted to know!

Food approx $30

Shampoo/Condtioner - $30, $10, $15... hmmm that looks good too $20 :laugh:

Vets Yearly between $70-$500+

Bones... $20

Mince - $20

the list goes on :laugh:

was more when i had more dogs but nw only have 1 afghan

• 1 month later...

I spend up to $100 a month on food for 3 dogs (50kg, 60kg, 24kg). This is because someone is super sensitive so we are limited to what they can be fed and I would rather they all eat the same thing. If i'm tight it can go down to less then $50 for the month but I prefer to spoil them with the good stuff :thumbsup:

vet bills - slim to none we dont have yearly vaccs here and rarely see a vet anymore.

worming - $20-$30 a year

heartworm - $0

Shampoos, probably 1 bottle a year or use what the hydrobath has in it already

toys - probably up to $100 a year at the most

Diesel is the most expensive with his supplements but I get those through the bargain chemist/work so probably $40 every 2 months

Although I added up the rotties vet bills, supplements, therapy and equipment he's gone well over the $5000 mark in under 3 years

Don't have my dog yet as it won't be ready to be picked up until around December-ish. But I have done my research and worked out rough prices (as a fully grown dog, wherever possible).

Aside from the one off fees, i.e desexing etc, these are some rough ideas I have worked out for my Akita

Pet insurance - $25.68 per month with Medibank - Top cover (Gold) this is accidental + illness, $500 excess - 10% discount for existing members

Flea and tick prevention - Advocate for dogs over 25kg, 6 monthly - $12.15 per month

Worming tablets (Aristopet allwormer, given every 3 months) - $2.80

Registration under Brisbane City Council - $92 per year for a non-desexed dog, or $39 per year for a desexed dog

Food - much harder for me to guess this one without having my dog yet, but I'd say.... $50??

Shampoo - probably only about $10 - one bottle for the year. Akita's only need the occasional bath, regular bathing isn't good for their coat

Toys - probably only $50 per year, initial outlay will probably set me back closer to $100, but hopefully I'll buy sturdy toys that the dog won't chew to bits

Things like bowls, crates, bedding etc won't need to be replaced regularly but they can cost a bit. $200 roughly for a crate/kennel. Bowls - $50ish etc

Hmmm, no idea. I tend to buy food for the two plus the foster all together so not really sure what I spend or how long it lasts. Depends on the specials of the month too. I can spot an orange reduced sticker in the meat aisle from 2km away.

$35 for a hydrobath every 4 weeks. That saves me doing flea control.

I decided not to go with pet insurance. It was going to cost $60/mth for both dogs. Over the ten years I have owned dogs I worked out I would have paid something like $32,000 in insurance but have only had two emergency visits costing about $4000 all up. I just whack an extra $20/wk into my mortgage and then I will redraw it if (touch wood) there is an emergency.

Oh, and your costs will depend on if you add in things that the dog has chewed that wasn't supposed to. Eg, my $10,000 worth of landscaping, about $200 worth of shoes, 6 tv remotes, 3 sheridan doona covers........................................

Edited by Burkes

Hmmm, no idea. I tend to buy food for the two plus the foster all together so not really sure what I spend or how long it lasts. Depends on the specials of the month too. I can spot an orange reduced sticker in the meat aisle from 2km away.

$35 for a hydrobath every 4 weeks. That saves me doing flea control.

I decided not to go with pet insurance. It was going to cost $60/mth for both dogs. Over the ten years I have owned dogs I worked out I would have paid something like $32,000 in insurance but have only had two emergency visits costing about $4000 all up. I just whack an extra $20/wk into my mortgage and then I will redraw it if (touch wood) there is an emergency.

Oh, and your costs will depend on if you add in things that the dog has chewed that wasn't supposed to. Eg, my $10,000 worth of landscaping, about $200 worth of shoes, 6 tv remotes, 3 sheridan doona covers........................................

:thumbsup::laugh::idea:

My two GSD's probably cost me around $200 to $350 a month to feed ... but it depends if I can buy their food in bulk and cheaper. Winter is more expensive as they eat much more. They are both fed raw ... and it is getting more difficult to buy decent quality raw food at a reasonable price.

Vaccinations used to be around $75 per dog ... the youngest was vaccinated yesterday and it is now $90.

Registration with the BCC council for an entire dog used to be $75 per year - it is now $90. Desexed dog is $39. I have one of each.

Heart wormer and all wormers (I use Heartgard Chews and Paragard) are around the $190 for the older dog and $105 for the youngest (at the moment) for the year.

I use Permoxin (sp?) for tick treatment - that is about $100 for a litre but if can be found online for around $60 for the litre!!!! Thankfully we don't use too much of it - so a litre lasts about a year.

Normally we don't have too many vet bills but the older boy became sick on night and $4,600+ later he was desexed and diagnosed with prostate issues. He later got a paralysis tick - that was another $1,000 in a weekend. Ear infections with antibiotics and drops are usually around $200+. I try to put away about $150 a fortnight for both dogs to cover vet bills - sort like a savings account for the dogs rather then paying vet insurance.

I haven't even considered the costs of damage to the yard, chewing through the aircondition, chewing up for plants, the temporary fencing to keep what is left of my garden, the sleep less night, the dog training, dog crates, hydrobath, blankets and bedding.

No wonder I am broke .... If only dogs were considered dependants on my tax ... :thumbsup:

Edited by Tilly