Dog Friendly Wedding/reception Venues

Arlizng

Hey DOL members,

One of my bestest friends just got engaged! So anyway, i would like to ask if people could suggestion places in Sydney, maybe around glebe if possible, that is a beautiful place for a wedding or a reception that allows pets, as she wants her dog to be a part of the ceremony. (Maybe as a ring bearer) And any addition information you can give would be wonderful.

Much appreciated everyone. Im so psyched! It's gonna be my first time being a bridesmaid too. Our dresses are suppose to match her dog. So i gotta go hunt for some vintage lacy dresses too. :cry:

Thanks for reading.

I have heard that the Hilton hotels are supposed to be dog friendly. (owners love dogs) However health restrictions do mean that dogs cannot be in areas where food is served.

No idea if the Hilton is suitable for you, or to what extent they really are dog-friendly, give them a call.

I would have thought an outdoor venue with catering would be ok with dogs, and that may give you many more options.

I know I'll be shot down in flames by my fellow dog lovers however I just don't understand people who involve their dogs at their weddings. My dogs are my family too but there is no way I would have them at my wedding, I think it's weird.

• Like 1

As a wedding photographer who has seen it all before... dogs as a part of the ceremony are fine as long as there is someone capable to look after them/deal with them. (which means that any outdoor venue will be fine for a ceremony)

Dogs as a part of the reception... NO. The bride and groom don't have time to pay them attention and what an absoloute drag for the person who is looking after them AND the dogs get bored (unless it's in their own back yard). If they have to be crated for the reception, then what's the point of having them there?

Best compromise - have them at the ceremony, get photos taken with them as soon as the ceremony is finished then have the capable person take them to a kennel or their home so the bride and groom can enjoy the day stress free.

ETA: I hope your friend finds a way to include them that she's happy with. :(

Edited by Ashanali
  • Like 1

We chose very early on in our relationship not to have children and have dogs instead. Our first dog was my husband present from me when we got engaged. Therefore not having the dogs at our wedding would be like not having our parents there.

After the ceremony a friend minded the dogs while the lovely people from the kennel came and picked them up. Then my friend collected them from the day care at the kennel after the reception (lunch time reception) and took them home with him.

Will be hard to find a reception place that has dogs but if you are getting married in a park shouldnt be a problem having the dogs in the ceremony.

My two were so laid back that after having one walk me down the aisle and one as my husbands "best dog" that they just laid at our feet with no-one holding the leads and happy to snooze in the shade. Certainly weigh up the temperment of the dogs and see if they are suitable for a large gathering as dont want them barking or lunging around.

I always thought I'd have my dog there if I was to get married! The first time it looked likely, I was the owner of a very naughty Lakeland Terrier, he'd have pee'd down the aisle and attacked men's feet most likely ... Luckily we broke up before I tested my theory .... Now I have a few dogs and marriage is most unlikely but I love the idea anyway! My dogs are my family.

I was doing some venue research in Sydney recently and came across a gorgeous place in the Hawkesbury area, it is an old chapel and the whole place is converted for non-denominational weddings, it looked glorious.

Maybe somewhere in the Blue Mountains might also be OK?

Alternatively, down at Clontarf, right by the dog off leash area, there is a restaurant that is in it's own garden space and that does weddings.

Maybe they could hire a house up at Palm Beach and get married in the garden / have the reception there? Friends of mine did that (not at Palm Beach).

Good luck finding the perfect place! We had our 4 dogs at our wedding- apart from the fact that we consider them family, my OH and i would not have met or gone out if it weren't for them. I LOVED having them there and have some gorgeous photos of all of us. We had a dog related reading during the ceremony as well and then stayed at dog friendly accomodation before our honeymoon.

Weird? Maybe unusual- but we loved every minute of it and it wouldn't have been the same if the dogs weren't there.

• Like 1

I always thought I'd have my dog there if I was to get married! The first time it looked likely, I was the owner of a very naughty Lakeland Terrier, he'd have pee'd down the aisle and attacked men's feet most likely ... Luckily we broke up before I tested my theory .... Now I have a few dogs and marriage is most unlikely but I love the idea anyway! My dogs are my family.

I have a picture in my head of your naughty little boy lifting his leg on each pew and then attacking the shoes of the men standing to watch you walk down the aisle and there would be Jane smiling blissfully thinking 'dog he's cute, I'm so glad I included him in the day' :D :) ;)

• 7 years later...

The Residences in Centennial Park in Sydney is the only place I know where  dogs can be part of it all.  There's an open house day on Tuesday 11th5959a4981aa1c_TheResidencesCentennialPark.jpg.c6cc18e7cfbdfeb723583697fc9aae57.jpg

35 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

My aunt got married in a Catholic church last year & the priest kindly turned a blind eye to the dog we snuck in ;) 

We had a digital line drawing made up of Malcolm and he featured on all our stationary. Anyway, a friend who worked at the company printed out a life-sized version of the graphic, cut it out and stuck it up on one of pillars in the church. Neither the groom or myself knew. We looked across when we were seated after saying our vows and discovered that our boy had not only made it to our wedding but was right up the front with the wedding party! :rofl:

• Like 1

Well that was all seven years ago, no doubt the wedding went well, they mostly seem to.

I was caught too, I was about to say to Clyde hi haven't seen you here for ages, what have you been up to?   Oops.   (Wonder how Clyde is going since the big move).

w