Vets In Windsor/wilston

huski

Hi everyone

It looks like we might be moving to Windsor (Brissy northside). I was wondering if anyone had any good local vets they can recommend?

My main vet is out at Ormeau which is fine for yearly check ups but I would like a good vet in the area I can go to if I need to quickly.

I feed a raw diet and don't vaccinate each year so I would prefer a vet who isn't going to be judgmental about that.

Susan Dawson from Anvet Kedron. Not too far from there. :cry:

LOL that's who I already use as my local vet! Susan is great :cry: We are about 2 minutes away :cry:

I guess it's not too much further from Windsor - just thought I'd check and see if there was a good local vet there, if not I was going to stick with Susan.

Stick with Susan. She is the best. I travel from Ipswich to see her. :rofl:

I think this is wise advice. When you find a vet you thoroughly trust on all levels, it doesn't matter if you have to travel a bit.

I once decided to switch to a vet clinic in my own suburb, simply because I thought it would be cllose in an emergency.

That decision probably cost one of our precious dogs its life....even tho' she presented with no life-threatening condition.

Fortunately, a previous vet I did trust totally, is only 3 suburbs away. So back I went, & the dogs are in great nick, thanks to her emphasis on prevention.

Can I ask you guys why you like Susan? I have a great vet at Beenleigh who does homeopathic work with my dogs as well as traditional vet treatment and medicine. She also goes out of her way to look for other options and is very minimal with charging for her long term clients like me who ae also into prevention and close management of long term illnesses. As it is a hospital they also do their own testing, which I like. I suspect she will be looking at retiring in the coming years though and as she is the only vet I choose to use there that means I'll be looking around. She owns the hospital and has been my vet for probably 20+ years and for most of that time the same head vet nurse was there as well (she left a year ago - boo hoo). She's kind of gruff to the humans if she thinks they haven't been doing the right thing (I've personally been in trouble a couple of times) but calls all the animals "dahlink" (she's German) and has a genuine love of animals you can see on her face. She also has her own very large collection of dogs that have needed homes over the years.

So it is good to know of other options, just in case....

PS we have been going to see her for years and she's just lovely and knowledgable and no fuss.

I travel 45 minutes to see my other vet Rowan Kilmarten at Animal Options for chiro stuff and titre testing etc but it's great having such a good local vet you can trust too.

Edited by huski

Susan is the best forget about the rest :thumbsup: I will be travelling to her from Ipswich as well when needed.

Great to hear so many people know, trust & will travel far to her. That's what counts!

But I won't forget the vet I trust likewise.....Jennifer White at The Gap. :thumbsup: So good at diagnosis, never ever over-treating, & putting much emphasis on prevention to keep the pets healthy. And jolly good at the surgical part.

Edited by mita

We also use Susan and wouldn't dream of going elsewhere...when we were looking at houses in Bracken Ridge, we still said we'd see Susan excepting dire emergencies...but then again, would probably race to her anyway. :whip:

Dogs are boarding there while we move. Lilly is having a few minor procedures done while on-site (dental clean plus some teeth removal, and some bloods).

We like her because she's no nonsense, loves dogs, enjoys her job, understands where we're coming from, loves dogs...and treats everyone really well. Oh, she's not too expensive either. :rofl::confused:

She did Ruby's cruciate repair...very happy with the outcome as Ruby has re-gained nearly full use of leg now. :scold:

We have gone through a few vets since we got "the girls" 13 years ago. Changed to Dr Susan about 12 months ago and she is fantastic.

Have also been to Animal Options at Ormeau and wasnt super impressed. I have heard good things about The Gap though as my mum and brother still live there.

I travel 45 minutes to see my other vet Rowan Kilmarten at Animal Options for chiro stuff and titre testing etc but it's great having such a good local vet you can trust too.

I do this too! :confused: Unfortunately they are a bit too far away to use for everyday kind of stuff, do I have another vet I use for other occasions. :whip: