Curash For Hot Spot?

Hi everyone

My little Humphrey (6 month old Golden Retriever) has a Hot Spot, this is his 2nd one :rofl:

I read in an earlier thread about Curash being used. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do with this? Do I wash the Hot Spot first or just put the Curash on? Any other process I need to know?

I've got cortisone cream from the last Hot Spot he had and I used that last night as that's all I had when I discovered it. Just wondered what else I can do to help my little boy :laugh:

Thank you!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can clean the muck off with either witch hazel or listerine before you apply the curash, but if you have neither and it's only a small spot and not too "crusty" just apply the curash powder - liberally and frequently :rofl:

How bad is the hot spot? If I catch them before they are weeping, I trim the fur quite liberally, dry the area as much as possible, then apply the Curash. I also use the Elizabethan collar for a day or two to give them a chance to heal. If you get them early enough this can sometimes stop them turning into bad ones.

However, if they're already weeping and angry, I found Curash does nothing, I will go to the vet for these ones.

Good luck, I hate hot spots :rofl:

Thanks Wuffles - it might be too far gone, it is weeping ;) The good thing is he can't reach where it is, so he can't make it any worse by scratching or licking. Will see how I go, otherwise it will be a vet visit, poor baby!

I'd definitely give the fur a trim if you haven't, I know that some people don't like to do this because it looks silly, but I've found it helps with the longer coated dogs. Nothing worse than fur matting across a hot spot ;)

Lynda - its a dermatitis type sore - open, red, itchy, usually round in shape and weeping - horrible nasty painful things! Can be caused by anything like a mozzie bite, flea bite, excess fur, humidity and a bunch of other things that once the skin is open bacteria gets in and it spreads like wildfire, within hours.

THE CURASH WORKED A TREAT - Thank you so much everyone. It literally dried up in hours, I'm thrilled :rainbowbridge::cheer::cheer:

I never trim the hair. I find if you wipe it with witch hazel (available from supermarket), coat it in curash and then get the blow dryer (on cool setting) and dry it out a couple of times a day. I've never had a problem even with angry looking hot spots.

Lynda - its a dermatitis type sore - open, red, itchy, usually round in shape and weeping - horrible nasty painful things! Can be caused by anything like a mozzie bite, flea bite, excess fur, humidity and a bunch of other things that once the skin is open bacteria gets in and it spreads like wildfire, within hours.

THE CURASH WORKED A TREAT - Thank you so much everyone. It literally dried up in hours, I'm thrilled :rainbowbridge::cheer::cheer:

Ill keep that in mind for if Lexi ever gets one, what is the first sign of a hotspot?

Goldengirl - Humphrey has had two so far and I've noticed it when the fur is 'wet' in a small patch. The first time I thought it was water until I went to touch it and he cried :love: . Once you pull the fur aside you will see it as horribly red raw, open, weeping and just downright awful things. He has had one on his rump above the tail and this one just below his neck toward his back. They literally appear within hours and spread so so fast.

Yesterday he wouldn't let me near it so I just squirtd the Curash on and tried to get as near the wound as possible - it must have worked because by late afternoon it was dry and he let me pull the fur apart to get closer, redid another application last night and this morning. He seems a happy camper now :laugh:

I never trim the hair. I find if you wipe it with witch hazel (available from supermarket), coat it in curash and then get the blow dryer (on cool setting) and dry it out a couple of times a day. I've never had a problem even with angry looking hot spots.

When Satch has had hotspots, they have gotten bad really fast. One night I noticed one, it was just a tiny moist patch so I dried it and went to bed... slept him in our bedroom so I would hear if he was licking it... when I woke up the next morning it was a huge weeping mess with hair stuck to it :love: I guess it depends on the individual dog and the reason the hotspot has appeared - but yes, if you can get away with not trimming the hair then go for it, as Satch looks silly with a bald rump :laugh: :D

I have a goldy who is prone to hotspots as well (I believe most goldies are). The first time I saw one I panicked since I didn't know what it was. DOL helped :love:

Now I watch out for any signs of persistent scratching. Usually I catch the hotspots before they start to weep. I trim the coat, put cortison cream and it's usually ok within a few hours. She recently had one which we missed so it grew to the size of a dollar coin and was weepy. We trimmed the area, put cortizone cream and took her to the vet. She was put on antibiotics. The vet also suggested bathing her with Malaseb.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

My golden (Snowy) got a hot spot on the weekend, pretty sure it was from all the rain we have been getting and then having his harness on in the car rubbing on his skin. Took him to the vet and she shaved the area and gave him a cortisone shot and antibiotics and cream... They look a lot better this morning so hopefully they heal quickly... This might be a silly/vain question but for those with goldens, how long does it take for his fur/hair to grow back?

Unfortunately it can take months. :mad

I have found the coat doesnt return to normal until after the next seasonal coat growth.

Our poor goldies and their delicate skin. I'm currently trying to get another allergy breakout under control. Eternal vigilance is what is needed.