Amstaff Breeders

geo

Okay, so being a big fan of Amstaffs i quite often look at breeders websites and have a look at the dogs their producing.

The thing is, BSL is now threatening amstaffs and there has been many a thread arguing the difference between them and APBT and that the APBT owners did nothing to help the image of their dogs...

Lately there was a thread on Andonas and what he's doing to the breed, but he's not the only one out there pushing massive, tough looking amstaffs.

One breeder, AKNC registered not only advertises his dogs for colour, available in any colour if you want, but stating that bigger is best and that they're leading the way in amstaff breedings in this country, they breifly mention how they genetically test in a one line throw away and I doubt they do any, The website is full of nice comments about his dogs and how lovely they are but to read the speil they put on the website about amstaffs and where they come from was garbage, apparently they've been about since 1835 and the pitbull came from amstaffs.. They go on to mention how great guard dogs and family protectors the amstaff is and how it will protect you at all costs.

But my main problem is they are exactly what amstaff breeders shouldn't be, they're promoting big tough dogs, oversized American wanna be "blue whales"

with more leather studded collars than mardi gras, and they're selling them by the bucket load and they're AKNC registered.

They're damaging the breed through thoughtless breedings and hyping up the look of them to sell a tough dog.

If the AKNC is doing anything to stop BSL surely they should be stopping breeders like this from having their so called stamp of approval, so what if the amstaff has papers, if i wanted a mean looking street dog, i'd go straight to him and buy one, then when it gets in trouble which one of them invariably will the amstaff is going to be in the BSL firing line again. And why should these dogs be gievn any creedence in the show ring when they're so far from the standard..?

Though in all aspects these 45kg amstaffs are probably useless as any sort of working dog, intimidating yes, athlethic and trim with lots of stamina certainly not.

Does anyone else feel the same way? i feel the same when i see pitbulls for sale in the papers here, bred by people who realy don't have the best interest of the breed at heart.

When I looked at Andonas website I almost lost my coffee.

IMO they are unattractive dogs, half of them overweight with ridiculously massive heads. That to me is not what an Amstaff should look like. They are intelligent, athletic dogs, not burly penis extensions.

I agree, as our next dog will be an Amstaff, I only hope breeders like this don't make up the majority.

It's not as if i don't like his dogs, they look fine, but really do amstaffs need this sort of breeder... and my opinion is not.

I'm a big fan of APBT's but i don't breed them because invariably i'd only attract certain buyers, even if i sold all the pups to vetted homes there's always a risk that one would end up in the wrong hands.

There are some great breeders around breeding for type and staying with the breed for a lifetime, but some people should really consider why they breed, as my gut instincts tells me breeders like this only breed for looks without substance.

IMO they are unattractive dogs, half of them overweight with ridiculously massive heads. That to me is not what an Amstaff should look like. They are intelligent, athletic dogs, not burly penis extensions.

I agree, as our next dog will be an Amstaff, I only hope breeders like this don't make up the majority.

It doesn't matter whether it is the majority or just a handful. If any registered Amstaff breeders are perceived to be breeding for anything other than the 'cuddly pet market' the breed is in danger of being legislated against.

One breeder, AKNC registered not only advertises his dogs for colour, available in any colour if you want, but stating that bigger is best and that they're leading the way in amstaff breedings in this country, they breifly mention how they genetically test in a one line throw away and I doubt they do any, The website is full of nice comments about his dogs and how lovely they are but to read the speil they put on the website about amstaffs and where they come from was garbage, apparently they've been about since 1835 and the pitbull came from amstaffs.. They go on to mention how great guard dogs and family protectors the amstaff is and how it will protect you at all costs.

:love::laugh: Sorry but just couldn't overlook this one! Me thinks someone needs some good history lessons to say the least! All these years of breeders trying to distance themselves from the Pit Bull now they come up with this! What a joke :D

It doesn't matter whether it is the majority or just a handful. If any registered Amstaff breeders are perceived to be breeding for anything other than the 'cuddly pet market' the breed is in danger of being legislated against.

You're right Greytmate

You're right Greytmate

I've also no problem with breeders, breeding working lines etc.., but to breed on looks/colour just annoys the crap outta me, all they're after is a heavy big headed dog, if thats what you want at least get a dog that is originally that size and don't ruin a great breed, buy a bull arab/mastiff/american bulldog, a dog that can at least handle it's size and weight without losing working ability or speed.

You're right Greytmate

I've also no problem with breeders, breeding working lines etc.., but to breed on looks/colour just annoys the crap outta me, all they're after is a heavy big headed dog, if thats what you want at least get a dog that is originally that size and don't ruin a great breed, buy a bull arab/mastiff/american bulldog, a dog that can at least handle it's size and weight without losing working ability or speed.

Exactly

Exact same thing that's happening right now in the U.S. People breeding for size and image, people will always like that style of dog, then there is the other side who prefer there real APBT's.

As long as people dont start thinking and calling them american pitbulls i dont have an issue.

Edited by APBT

Exact same thing that's happening right now in the U.S. People breeding for size and image, people will always like that style of dog, then there is the other side who prefer there real APBT's.

As long as people dont start thinking and calling them american pitbulls i dont have an issue.

:) yeah right. I wonder what all of the Amercian Pit Bull owners have their dogs registered and chipped as ? certainly not APBT

:) yeah right. I wonder what all of the Amercian Pit Bull owners have their dogs registered and chipped as ? certainly not APBT

Well if it was safe to do so, i'm sure they would... though i don't see APBT mentioning registration, that must be your gripe.

This thread is more about AKNC registered breeders doing more to promote the real amstaff, not the massive dogs that are infiltrating their ranks and becoming the norm.... people mention what the undesirables done to the pitbull, well now the are breeding amstaffs under the AKNC banner and portraying them in a "they're so tough" kind of way.

It's a topic about the image of the Amstaff and what some breeders are doing, that potentially paints the breed in a bad light. There's nothing more damaging to the image of the Amstaff than to be referred to as a pit bull.

When it comes to BSL, the Amstaff needs place as much distance between itself and the PB as possible and that includes ditching all of the hanger-on-ers that aren't Amstaffs but have owners that like to refer to them as such, when it suits them.

APBT can't have it both ways. He either owns an APBT or her doesn't and he needn't worry about Amstaff people thinking or referring to their dogs as PB's, most are running in the opposite direction , as fast as they can.

It's a topic about the image of the Amstaff and what some breeders are doing, that potentially paints the breed in a bad light. There's nothing more damaging to the image of the Amstaff than to be referred to as a pit bull.

When it comes to BSL, the Amstaff needs place as much distance between itself and the PB as possible and that includes ditching all of the hanger-on-ers that aren't Amstaffs but have owners that like to refer to them as such, when it suits them.

APBT can't have it both ways. He either owns an APBT or her doesn't and he needn't worry about Amstaff people thinking or referring to their dogs as PB's, most are running in the opposite direction , as fast as they can.

The thread title, Amstaff Breeders, not BSL not pitbull v's amstaff argument. i nor APBT are refferring to amstaffs as pitbulls, what i'm saying is that there are a minority of amstaff breeders aiming for huge tough monsters in their breeding program, this has nothing to do with pitbulls or their plight but you can draw a common line where amstaffs are being bred to look and act tough and it'll be their downfall and all along they can say well they're pure bred AKNC registered dogs they can't be bad....

Websites full of pics with dogs head to toe in leather spouting crap about how they behave etc.. and they're flogging pups by the truck load to people who want a tough looking dog

Now this isn't the norm and the majority are great amstaff breeders, but we all know that means nothing.

ummm, ive owned APBT's and Amstaffs. I respect both for what they are, as should everyone else.

No one should be ditching anyone, we need to stick together and fight it.

Seems your a front running cur.

Edited by APBT

Amstaffs just seem to attract owners for the wrong sorts of reasons, and then they decide they might like to try showing, and then breeding and suddenly the show ring is full of these giant dogs. I have watched it happen. Now a correct "to the standard" sized Amstaff looks like a dwarf in comparison. It is a big worry. The breed should not have a massive stafford-like head, it should not be 24 inches at the shoulder, it should not be blue. I have had a long association with the breed, and have owned them for a quite a few years now, and am very close friends with a lovely, ethical breeder. But still, I cannot be convinced to get into breeding, because the market is flooded with "registered" pets, and I do not want to be seen to be adding to this population explosion.

I will show my current boy to his title and then that will be it for me. At least until my friend talks me into showing another one for her :rofl:

ummm, ive owned APBT's and Amstaffs. I respect both for what they are, as should everyone else.

No, too late.

Time for responsible breeders of registered and recognised breeds to distance themselves from the losing team.

Amstaffs just seem to attract owners for the wrong sorts of reasons, and then they decide they might like to try showing, and then breeding and suddenly the show ring is full of these giant dogs. I have watched it happen. Now a correct "to the standard" sized Amstaff looks like a dwarf in comparison. It is a big worry. The breed should not have a massive stafford-like head, it should not be 24 inches at the shoulder, it should not be blue. I have had a long association with the breed, and have owned them for a quite a few years now, and am very close friends with a lovely, ethical breeder. But still, I cannot be convinced to get into breeding, because the market is flooded with "registered" pets, and I do not want to be seen to be adding to this population explosion.

I will show my current boy to his title and then that will be it for me. At least until my friend talks me into showing another one for her :rofl:

I thought blue was acceptable for amstaffs? not that it matters

No, too late.

Time for responsible breeders of registered and recognised breeds to distance themselves from the losing team.

Is that tongue in cheek? I know that is the stance of SBT, because if not the amstaffs will be the losing team if these "registered" breeders keep at it...