Attacked By An Anatolian Shepherd

Cuchulain

I think the injuries you suffered were not from the other dog attacking you as such but more from being in the middle of the attack. It is always risky when you go into breaking up a fight, I don't think the other dog meant to hurt you. Argh I cannot get the words to sound right, somebody help me out here please :party:

Hope you get some resolution and Max is healing well :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wolfgirl, while that might be so, this was at a dog training class. every dog training class i have been at, there have been child handlers with their dogs. It is not beyond the realm of possibility for a child to have been involved in this incident, especially since this dog has a reputation issues previously.

While it may not be Human Aggressive in the truest sense, the risk to a child or a smaller dog is a great risk in this training situation.

wolfgirl, while that might be so, this was at a dog training class. every dog training class i have been at, there have been child handlers with their dogs. It is not beyond the realm of possibility for a child to have been involved in this incident, especially since this dog has a reputation issues previously.

While it may not be Human Aggressive in the truest sense, the risk to a child or a smaller dog is a great risk in this training situation.

I understand that but reading this line

I managed to get between Max and the attacking dog but unfortunately the damage was all ready done.

makes me feel that the dog wasn't focusing on the human it was to the other dog so don't know that you could call it Human Aggressive or that you could say it would attack a child :laugh:

ETA That I think the attacking dog should not allowed to be off leash or without a muzzle while at the training club, lets hope the committee on that club do the right thing by Cuchulain and Max :)

Edited by wolfgirl

I managed to get between Max and the attacking dog but unfortunately the damage was all ready done.

makes me feel that the dog wasn't focusing on the human it was to the other dog so don't know that you could call it Human Aggressive or that you could say it would attack a child :laugh:

ETA That I think the attacking dog should not allowed to be off leash or without a muzzle while at the training club, lets hope the committee on that club do the right thing by Cuchulain and Max :)

Where in her original post did Cuchulain say the dog was Human Aggressive? I cant seem to find it. She simply said "What if the dog had attacked a child?" Which I think is a very valid response considering what happened.. what if a child or smaller person had been holding a dog that this anatolian decided to attack? Would they have not done the same thing (stand between their dog and the attacking dog) could have been very messy.. and while I agree an obedience class is no place for a child by the sounds of it this dog could pose a threat to other dogs wherever it goes.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a war. At the club I attend there is more than one class on the go at any one time. In the breed class there are children of I would guess 12 or 13? I'm not good with ages :laugh: In the agility class there are also youngsters of the same sort of age and in the puppy class there have sometimes been younger children together with a parent. In my class one of the dogs is sometimes handled by a 14-year-old who is significantly smaller and lighter than me. In all honesty the dog probably wasn't aiming for me but for Max. The reality is: I was bitten. The attack on Max was deliberate, violent and unmistakably aggressive. A smaller dog would certainly have been more badly injured. Had one of younger club members been involved I'm sure the injuries would have been a lot more serious than mine. Luckily for me I was wearing "browns" - for the non-South Africans out there browns are the hard-wearing virtually indestructible army uniform of the old SADF and I was saved from having my skin broken. My pants show evidence of the dog's teeth, as does my left calf. :)

While I understand many clubs do not allow children on the premises, at the club I attend children are allowed to accompany their parents and I have seen toddlers at the club house. (I don't want to really get into that whole debate!) On the day of the attack there was at least one child under the age of 10 on the grounds. (His grandmother is the instructor in my class.) At the time of the attack that particular child was in the club house. The dog, however, was off-lead and totally out of control - it could have gone to the club house or any of the other classes being run at that time.

ETA That I think the attacking dog should not allowed to be off leash or without a muzzle while at the training club, lets hope the committee on that club do the right thing by Cuchulain and Max :laugh:

The dog probably wouldn't "attack" a child but if the dog happened to attack a childs dog then it's logical to think that the child would jump in the middle trying to save their dog and be severely injured. Kids aren't able to weigh up the risks, nor would they have the knowledge or ability to break up a dog fight and will just dive in without thinking about it.

Cuchulain, I hope Max is okay.

Well your not going to get any sympathy from me.

When dog people congregate with other dog people either at training or shows or other area's where dogs congregate you can expect something to wrong.

Be it a lead breaks or dog breaks from an off lead exercise or some other situation you do your best to handle the situation with dignity.

Not go racing off to a lawyer.

Firstly contact the owner politely and discuss the matter of the vet bills.

Secondly, politely contact the club with any concerns that you have.

Give some time for them to reply to you. You may find that the person is more than willing to pay any vet fees.

You don't know, the club may have already spoken to the other party.

If you want to get yourself disliked keep going the way you are.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Yes, your over reacting. What about the person that ownes this dog ?.....have you ever thought that they are so embarrased and shocked over the incident that just might just want to run away and hide. Not the right thing to do of course, infact very wrong.

How do you know the dog has not already been put down.

This was an accident in a controlled situation that got out of controll, at least wait and see what happens first.

If you get no satisfaction then go to a Lawyer.

JMHO

What an awful experience to go through!

I hope that you and Max recover from this incident :laugh: I would be steaming mad if the dog that attacked me had already had two warnings to its name!!! It should have been on lead and muzzled. :o

I hope you get answers from the club soon. Unfortunately in todays world so many people are not accountable for ther actions. :laugh:

Yes, your over reacting. What about the person that ownes this dog ?.....have you ever thought that they are so embarrased and shocked over the incident that just might just want to run away and hide. Not the right thing to do of course, infact very wrong.

This was an accident in a controlled situation that got out of controll, at least wait and see what happens first.

JMHO

Did you actually read the OP? The dog and its owner joined the class after Max had been attacked. Did you also read that this is NOT the first time the dog has attacked?

When dog people congregate with other dog people either at training or shows or other area's where dogs congregate you can expect something to wrong.

Be it a lead breaks or dog breaks from an off lead exercise or some other situation you do your best to handle the situation with dignity.

Give some time for them to reply to you. You may find that the person is more than willing to pay any vet fees.

JMHO

Wow.. :laugh: That's a bit harsh!!

I hope Max makes a speedy recovery both physically and emotionally. :laugh:

In reply to your post oakway:

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY - Let's just get that out of the way. :eek:

Accidents do happen - I do not dispute that. I query "accident" when Max is the 3rd dog bitten by the same off-lead, uncontrolled and vicious dog.

I have been unable to contact the owner - the club is being very evasive in supplying contact details. At the time she showed no interest in either Max or me and has until today not offered an apology to the instructor concerned or the club. She has made no attempt to contact me either. Since she calmly joined the class after the incident I don't believe she was embarrassed at all.

I have emailed the club 3 times (once while Max was still at the vet, once on Sunday night and again on Monday morning). I have spoken with the Secretary who declined to give me contact details for the owner. The matter was passed from the Secretary to the Chairman to the head Obedience Instructor (who was giving the class I was in). This instructor has requested I wait 14 days before she can deal with it as she is going to a show. I was, and still am, worried that this is going to be swept under the carpet and I am going to be left out of pocket for something which is not my fault. I consulted my lawyer on Monday while there for another matter relating to my business and was advised to email the club, clearly stating my expectations and intentions and to see what response I get. I have done this and to date have still not been given the information I requested. In the mean time I have paid the vet and the "extra-care" costs at the kennels where Max has to stay while I attend my uncle's funeral.

Edited to add: Thanks to those of you wishing Max well - he seems to be recovering fine.

Edited by Cuchulain

JMHO

Ummm she contacted the club and they are dodging and avoiding giving her answers, the owner of the aggressive dog didn't even CHECK to see if the dog her dog just ATTACKED for no reason was ok and went back to class without a care in the world, she's had warnings before, I really don't think politeness will pay off in this situation, sometimes you need to step in and show you mean business when dealing with dickheads

JMHO

Oakway,

Maybe read the whole thread before commenting.

I have just received an email from the owner of the dog. She says she was unaware that her dog had attacked or bitten anybody. She has offered to pay his vet bill for which I am grateful.

Right - unaware her dog attacked or bit anyone? Ummm, that suggests she had NO FREAKING CONTROL over the dog if she wasn't close enough to see what it did. Glad to see you have as many idiots in SA as we do over here! I would still question whether that dog & owner should be allowed to continue at the club.

Glad that Max is recovering well, and that you will at least have your vet bills paid.

If the Club won't ban the dog, he should at least wear a muzzle while on the training ground. Maybe suggest that as a compromise solution while pointing out their possible legal liability if they let the current situation continue and he bites another dog or person.

Club should have insurance and should pay any bill for a dog injured on their grounds during an organised activity.

If the attacking dog has previous form for aggression on the grounds and the club hasn't acted to protect other dog owners, they won't have a leg to stand on in court.

Send a letter of demand to the club. Outline the situation and ask for payment. If they won't pay up, lawyer up.

Sorry to hear about the attack. :rofl:

Sorry about poor Max - hope he gets better soon :rofl:

I totally agree with Poodlefan - don't waste your time asking the club for the contact details of the owner, send the bills to them - it happened on their grounds, in their classes and occurred because they haven't taken appropriate steps to remove or control a dog that has previously shown aggression - it's a straight up case of negligence.

I know the owner has offered to pay up but where's the club's responsiblity here - are they going to allow this dog back to maybe do the same thing again?

Take them to court and add a bit on for your emotional pain and suffering :rofl:

Edited by conztruct

Lilli, I was also bitten. Had it bitten a child with the force it bit me I believe the child would have been quite badly injured.

Yes okay I did not read that you were also bitten in the exchange.

however imo

from what I know of my breeds

if the attacking dog was absolute in its intent, the fight would not have been absolved so easily or quickly.

This is not said to diminish the seriousness of your encoutner :laugh:

I think it is great that the owner of the dog has cmade an effort to contact you;

as the club cannot forward you their details [i understand the clubs position not to do so, though they could have been more supportive/proactive in acting as intermediary between the two parties].

The other dog attacks/incidents, are only hearsay, so it is plausible that your incident came as a shock to the owner.

NB: imo the owner may be pushing the proverbial uphill

attempting to do agility and accurate and offlead commands with an Anatolian.

Its not really what the breed was bred for.

Edited by lilli