Two Bitches Together

Ciara

Hi so yeah I was wondering what other peoples opinion is on keeping two bitches (desexed) together?

Is it a bad idea?

Have only had a (desexed) boy and girl together but was wondering because considering getting another dog and I already have a female.

thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 4 bitches, and there were never any problems whatsoever. 1 bitch was the dominant one, the rest couldn't care less about pack rank. The bitch I had first was the one who was the boss.

Unless your current dog has temperament issues, I couldn't imagine you having a problem with another girl.

I have a 15 yo JRT an 11 golden ret (Until this morning) and a15mo grey all desexed females with no problems. Recently added a desexed male and havnt had a problem with any of them. I have only ever had females , labs, golden ,JRT and greys until the latest addition and have all gotten on fine. Suppose it depends on the individual dog though

I have two desexed bitches and one entire bitch in this house. The two desexed bitches are sisters from the same litter and we've only just this year added another to the pack. She'll be kept entire as she's my show prospect.

So far we've had no issues, one is the dominant one, the others don't care, especially the younger one. What happens during/after her season remains to be seen, but we also matched their temperments and I'm not expecting any issues.

All three are beagles.

For approx the last 20 years I have always owned and run 2 or more bitches together... entire and desexed. I have never had any issues. These included Rottweilers, Dobermanns, GSD, Greyhounds, Standard Poodle and the odd rescue, boarder and foster bitch.

I know problems can occur, just can't say that I have experienced this.

we didnt have problems til the much older bitch started to decline

then the younger one would have a go at her and so would the young male

nothing serious ...no blood but lots of airbiting

it was sad to see the beautiful matriarch being usurped like that

i know some people have success with two bitches ( all our animals are desexed)

but i also know of big big fights,,,and big vet bills and heartache

depends on the breed and personality mix of course

All my dogs have always been de-sexed and I have had a variety of combinations- male/female, male/male/ female, male/female/female and female/female and never had any problems except when the two bitches lived together without a male and boy did I have a few fights, two fights ended up with BIG vetbills and these girls had lived together for years but they were both quite dominant in nature, one was a Kelpie and the other a Staghound they were best friends 99% of the time but something would trigger a fight and they would try to kill each other, one fight was at the beach, they were playing together and running around when Charli knocked Jess accidently and Jess bit Charli on the neck causing blood to pump out, Charli pulled half of Jess's ear off :rofl: I rushed them back to the car and drove like a maniac to the vet with them happily sitting on the back seat licking each others wounds(my car looked like a blood bath)

My two girls are 6 months apart in age and I have never had a problem with them fighting. Rules, boundries and leadership from the start is a good recipie for a happy doggy household, especially if you have more than 2 so everything runs smoothly!

We have 6 desexed bitches - 3 x staffords, 2 x frenchies and 1 x foxie. They all live happily together however the foxie, nicknamed "the Enforcer" tends to boss everyone around - no one takes an ounce of notice of her though. They range from 4yrs through to 15yrs.

Only the foxie has a dominant nature, the others tend to be fairly easy going.

I think the secret is matching the temperaments well, and leaning towards a more submissive nature than a dominant one.

And lastly, ensuring that you are a good leader and consistently enforce the rules of the house makes life so much easier.

R

We always suggest to our puppy owners one of each for the simple reason if it does go pear shaped most average pet owners dont have yards set up to sepearte nor was that there plan in getting another dog.

Breed can also play a factor.

We have had 2 bitches who would have killed each other after 2 yrs of being very happy

i have had 2 desexed bitches together with no issues and never any fights. i was quite careful about matching the temperments though

Ditto, when I was looking at getting my pup I only had a few breeds short listed because I knew that they generally had fairly laid back attitudes, I knew my JRT wouldnt tolerate another headstrong dog so I was careful to choose a dog that would just let her be boss, my pup is nearly 7 months old and so far so good lol

My 2 desexed girls get on fine most of the time... but when they get into a spat it is downright nasty...

Here's what they did to each other last Monday over a piece of food one of them found in the yard...

Zeddy - 11 year old Rotti cross - had 2 ripped up front legs, punctures on a back foot, bruising to her chest, and she lost a canine tooth in order to repair the ripped gum.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds011.jpg

Trouble - 4 year old Labrador - had lots of punctures to face, ears, and neck, and a rip between her toes.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds004.jpg

I'd strongly suggest that if you have 2 females together, that you look seriously at pet insurance - my girls set me back $1360 for the above wounds to be treated by our vets - and they give me discounts...

That said - I've had quite a few females run together with no problems at all over the years - but if you end up with 2 alpha bitches, it can be problematic (and expensive) at times...

T.

My 2 desexed girls get on fine most of the time... but when they get into a spat it is downright nasty...

Here's what they did to each other last Monday over a piece of food one of them found in the yard...

Zeddy - 11 year old Rotti cross - had 2 ripped up front legs, punctures on a back foot, bruising to her chest, and she lost a canine tooth in order to repair the ripped gum.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds011.jpg

Trouble - 4 year old Labrador - had lots of punctures to face, ears, and neck, and a rip between her toes.

23-6-2010-TroubleandZeddywounds004.jpg

I'd strongly suggest that if you have 2 females together, that you look seriously at pet insurance - my girls set me back $1360 for the above wounds to be treated by our vets - and they give me discounts...

That said - I've had quite a few females run together with no problems at all over the years - but if you end up with 2 alpha bitches, it can be problematic (and expensive) at times...

T.

Yikes tdierikx :D Naughty girls!

As others have said - depends very much on the temperament of each girl, to some extent the breed and also your leadership. Our two standard poodles (one desexed and the other entire for half their lives) never had a harsh word let alone a fight. The older girl was VERY easy going and the second one more fiesty but very obedient and loving. They died within 2 days of each other at 11.5 and 13.5 years :D :) We are currently looking at adding a puppy to our mix of a standard male and mini girl and will choose very carefully in terms of temperament.

I would not keep 2 bitches together again, mine used to be best friends for months and then try and kill one another. The last fight they had the one nicked the others jugular vein, here is a pic of her 2days later with her stitches. This was 5 years ago, after this I had their canines filed down so that I did not have to re-home either one, at age 11 they dont really argue anymore.

Gabbyneck.jpg