Teeth Clean

Wow that's a lot of cashola. We had Kuma's teeth done two weeks ago at our local vet. We just took him in for a check up and ended up having him sedated for a thorough clean.

Now, he's 7 months old but weighs 40Kg and it took 30 mins and cost $170 - and that included the original consult!

We now clean his teeth every night (he HATES it!!)

Hmmm that seems a bit high. I had Oatie's teeth cleaned while he was having some broken ones removed - it cost $400, but that was 4 teeth removed as well (and two of those were below the normal gum line, so hard to get to).

Its a bit like doctor shopping - you dont like to do it because you generally like where you go, but it may be worth calling another good vet and getting a quote.

Brigitte

Have not had any issues since my dogs are fed a varied raw meaty bone diet - oldest is ten and her teeth are sparkling!

Bought in a three year old whose had never seen a bone before and her teeth were awful, got her eating bones and after three weeks you would not know the difference.

Unless it is a really old or particularly small breed that may have difficulty with bones why not gives the bones a go?

S

Wow that's a lot of cashola. We had Kuma's teeth done two weeks ago at our local vet. We just took him in for a check up and ended up having him sedated for a thorough clean.

Now, he's 7 months old but weighs 40Kg and it took 30 mins and cost $170 - and that included the original consult!

does he eat any bones?

does he eat any bones?

Yep. He's just not a big "chewer" - he is not going to sit and gnaw on a bone until it's gone. The best way for us to prevent the build up is to complement the bones with a daily brush. He'll get used to it.

cheaper on my wallet, better than having him sedated every six months for a clean.

Ruby had a dental while under for her cruciate surgery in March. Regardless, the cost was $77...

Lilly is going in for a dental and some extractions next week. No idea how much but we trust our vet and she doesn't overcharge.

Molly probably needs a dental as well. Being so tiny, it's impossible to get suitable bones for her to chew as they're always too big or too soft. :o

May I just say that sometimes feeding raw bones doesn't result in clean teeth. While it can (and clearly does) help some dogs, it isn't the panacea that applies to all dogs. Lilly, being a greyhound, has had awful teeth her entire life and we feel lucky that at 10.5 yrs, she needs her first (and probably only) dental. :laugh:

Shop around for prices...vets are like every other service provider and no two will charge the same for any procedure. :o

Sounds about right.. ask about whether it is an ultrasonic scaling or not as some vets are hand scaling and the job probably isn't as thorough. Also try to compare like to like.. costs for pain relief and extractions if needed, is the dog under fluids etc.

Wow, all those prices are really reasonable. My vet charged me just over $1000 to remove one tooth and do a scale and clean on my elderly Rotty. This was about 12 months ago. The man is going to price himself out of business at the rate he's charging these days.

We're roughly about $250-300 for a scale and polish. We had a new client in recently that paid $900 for a scale and polish at another clinic - no extractions, nothing else, just a simple clean. Outrageous!

Bones are helpful for prevention, but once there's enough build up to need a scale, bones are unlikely to remove this. But definitely recommended post dental

Otis has bucked teeth (Yeah, he's a looker ! :laugh: ) - no amount of bones will keep them clean. He was doing okay with bones and lots of crunchy foods but at 10yo he needed his first proper clean. He'd also broken quite a few teeth on bones.

Edited by Pugmum

When my dog had a tumour removed I got the Vet to clean his teeth as well, which were considered "mild plaque build up" and the bill was $700. He then suggested I get Hills Science Prescription T/D which is designed to reduce tartar build up and I also put Aquadent into the water bowl.

For dogs who can't be trusted with bones, Hills T/D is the next best thing apart from dog chews that don't include bone.

I'll be able to update the thread this evening with the cost.

Lilly is at the vet ATM...she's getting the IV fluids on board while under GA (the $60 extra cost is worth it for us), I think the vet nurse was a little surprised I said yes to that but Lilly (being a greyhound) will need the additional support and the IV access line if anything were to go wrong.

Fingers crossed she comes out of it all right...I do worry about her under GA, esp now she's a senior (10 yrs +). Mind you, nobody's told her that yet! :laugh:

So Lilly is home and the cost was very reasonable.

IV $61.60

Dental (large dog) $279.40 - this includes the GA etc

Extraction (one tooth) $22.00

Antibiotics to bring home $27.39

Total of $390.40.

Lilly is a bit tired but otherwise well. The cost was a bit more than I anticipated but still under some of the quoted figures in this thread. :rofl:

As lillysmum has listed there is more than just cleaning the teeth. And then there is the level that the teeth are at (1 is best 4 is teeth being removed). Ours is to go in tomorrow for her's but they are probably removing a couple of lumps as well so that adds to the cost- ours is 11.

Mine are both going in on Friday for a clean, neither have had their teeth cleaned before I rarely feed bones as the little shits fight over them even if I think I've picked them all up!

I'm pretty nervous they haven't gone under for ages and it's a new vet so i'm a bit stressed! Bit stressed about the bill now reading everyone's posts I hope they give me an account! :rofl:

Mine had the iv fluids included on the list in the overall charge but then I also had a lot of other stuff added today for her other issues. Poor thing is very unco tonight and starting to get stiff & sore from the lump removal

Mine went well today they had to be careful with my little chi his heart murmur has worsened apparently, they both got pre-anaesthetic bloods and the bill was $751 which was pretty much what they had quoted.