Fav Syd Dog Parks

Hi All,

Trying to do as much research before we pick up our little pup in about a month or so.

Im interested to get ideas for you're favorite dog parks. Leashed and Off Leash

Im living around the eastern suburbs at the moment, but when i grew up at avalon we use to love taking them to the dog park beach at Careel Bay

http://tinyurl.com/2fv5ozd - so that one is prolly my favorite - the dogs love chasing those little mudskipper fish!

Just wondering what are some of you're fav dog parks around you. Leashed Park / Unleashed Park / Unleashed Beach etc

There is an offleash park at Gladesville/Huntley Cove. It's private so it's nowhere near traffic, and there is a water area too (people go fishing and some dogs likes jumping into them).

It's our favorite dog park.

A book called Great Sydney Dog Walks has recently been published - there is a website if you google it.

It has a comprehensive list of dog parks in it as well as lots of walks.

You can also look for dog parks on whereis.com.au

A book called Great Sydney Dog Walks has recently been published - there is a website if you google it.

It has a comprehensive list of dog parks in it as well as lots of walks.

You can also look for dog parks on whereis.com.au

Thanks for that! How handy!

Anyone know any dog parks that are particularly good for puppies? (or small breeds?)

I occasionally go to Centennial park - mainly the on-lead areas and Rushcutter's bay park (has on-lead and off-lead times). Both get very busy during peak hours i.e. before and after work hours and on weekends. If you can avoid these times it's much better!

I really really like park up on the vaucluse heads - Lighthouse reserve etc which has some on-lead and some off-lead parks.

There really aren't any parks 'good' for puppies or small breeds that are off-lead because (1) none are fenced and (2) there is no size segregation - I have found that Luna isn't safe at off-lead parks because too many other dog owners are irresponsible and allow their dogs to hassle, attack etc smaller/younger dogs. If I really feel I must go to an off-lead park I avoid peak times.

There is an offleash park at Gladesville/Huntley Cove. It's private so it's nowhere near traffic, and there is a water area too (people go fishing and some dogs likes jumping into them).

Tarban creek?

Our favourites are parks in the inner west. The ones in glebe are great. Its a scenic walk, poo bins & bags provided. The path is next to the water, but it doesn't have a high enough barrier to separate the footpath and the approx 1m drop to the harbour alongside. so not recommended for young/curious unleashed dogs or those who like to swim. Grassed areas too along the way.

sydney park is good, big enough that though there may be lots of dogs within the park, they are all fairly well spread out, provided you chose your spot wisely.

I would suggest you go to your council webpage which should have a bit of information on the off-leash parks in your immediate area.

This site has lots listed.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Residen...fLeashAreas.asp

Ones to avoid though IMO are certain areas of Centennial park and Bayview esp. on weekends and public holidays. Too many uncontrolled doggies and owners that don't pick up droppings.

Beaches in wollongong and south coast are great

HTH

• 5 weeks later...

Tarban creek?

Yes, I think so

I just bought the Great Sydney Dog Walks book. It's very good.

We like the beaches in Wollongong best. The dogs do, too. ;) The dogs also love going for bush walks. So much to smell! They stay on leash so they don't upset the wildlife. There are some nice State Forests just outside Sydney where you can camp with your dogs.

Anyone know any dog parks that are particularly good for puppies? (or small breeds?)

No off leash dog park is a good place to have a puppy. You cannot control the sorts of dogs they will meet and one bad experience can see your pup killed, injured or with behavioural issues for life.

Personally I'd not take any pup to a dog park before its second fear period was over and I probably wouldn't take a small breed dog to a general dog park at all.

Edited by poodlefan

I occasionally go to Centennial park - mainly the on-lead areas and Rushcutter's bay park (has on-lead and off-lead times). Both get very busy during peak hours i.e. before and after work hours and on weekends. If you can avoid these times it's much better!

I second this. :rofl:

Both parks can get very full on for little dogs and there are a lot of reckless owners.

Though Centennial Park is completely offlead outside the main road so you can usually find a spot that is not so busy.

Its a pain that there are no fenced parks though. ;)

There is another thread today on this subject as well. I have purchased the book by Katie Whiffen and it is great. The walks so far have been really enjoyable and my dogs have improved out-of-sight. The walks are mainly on-lead walks, but there are usually off-leash parts to the walks. Katie has timed them, gives good directions for parking etc and advises if there are bags/bins/water etc.

Dogs parks should be avoided at peak times - there are just so many irresponsible owners and dogs going wild that it is not worth the risk.

I go to Centennial Park and the long park up on the headland at Dover Heights, Russell reserve. Russell reserve is fantastic and quiet. Centennial park off leash area is huge so you can get away from doggy crowds I find. Both are off-leash.

I first started to go to a fenced one at Frenches Forest which is very big and have recently discovered another lovely fenced one at Roseville.

I have also gone to the one at Hunters Hill which previous posters mentined, which is really protected and lovely (except when the dogs chase the ducks into the canal), tried cafe bones at Leichardt which I don't like much.

I used the book on the weekend too - my planned walk was put off due to the amount of rain in the area but we went up to Balls Head Reserve instead and enjoyed the bush walk in the middle of the city.

I used the book on the weekend too - my planned walk was put off due to the amount of rain in the area but we went up to Balls Head Reserve instead and enjoyed the bush walk in the middle of the city.

I did the Hinkler Reserve, Manly to the end of Manly beach (though I didn't go right around to Shelly Beach). I think everyone else in Sydney decided to do the same thing on Sunday - it was so crowded but great experience for my girl (dobexrottie), she was just sooo good and didn't put a foot wrong.

I often do the Long Reef point walk too - but add my own parts to it to make it about a 3hr round trip. Tiring but well worth it, especially when the hang gliders are taking off at the point. I'm waiting to see the whales go by, but I always seem to miss them!!

We've done the Lake Parramatta walk before too - was a really nice walk. It was not well marked in one part and we ended up on the fire trail so it was a tad longer than we'd planned :cry:

Balls Head was pretty empty for a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.

I also found a nice hidden gem elsewhere but am keeping that one quiet :D