Pup Died 8 Days After We Got Him Home

nixon

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear about your puppy.

If your vet is prepared to state that nothing you did (ie suffocation etc) caused the death of the puppy and it was most likely due to a congenital or hereditary problem, get him to make a written statement to that effect.

Send that with a letter of demand for a full refumd to the breeder. If you aren't sure what to write, come back here and we'll help, or pay a lawyer $100 or whatever to write it for you.

If they don't cough up then, put them through the small claims court,.

Every fair trading act in Aust says "goods" (and pups are described as "goods") must be suitable for the purposes intended. A pup which dies 8 days after purchse is NOT suitable as intended. You would be very unlikely to lose any suit you brought against the person who sold you the pup.

Any decent reputable breeder, once they were assured that you did nothing to cause the death of the pup, would refund you.

And folks, there have been cases of children sitting on pups and squashing/suffocating them. Happened to a friend of mine, pm came back proving it. Child denied it. Parents didn't know.

Don't be fooled by glittering websites, shiny advertising, and those with fast tongues. The very best pup you can buy is a proper registered purebred pup from an ethical ANKC member breeder, one who knows the breed, and the lines, one who will ensure YOU are the right home for a precious pup, and one who will be interested in the pup for as long as it lives.

My house recently burned down. Breeders who sold me pups, now dogs, offered to fly interstate take the dogs home and care for them until I could do so again.

That's the level of service you'll get from a proper breeder. :mad

Another reason to supervise kids and pups.

Agree with this advice 100%.

I am so sorry you lost your baby pup, that is so terrible. :eek:

Unfortunately Jed, I would never class these people as reputable ethical breeders.

I think this would be a long battle

That's why we have courts, Stonebridge :eek:

I am sorry I havent answered your PM Nixon. Its been a rather sad day for me.

I know you would like some answers but to be very honest I cant help you really.

I am sorry you have been burnt like this. It is breeders like these that we dont need. Their latest litter that I know of was Neo/Bulldog crosses.

(shakes ones head)

Sorry to hear you have had a sad day and thanks for getting back

to me it means a lot I think that maybe our pup was from that litter

the dad was BBD and the mum looked big like a neo in the photo's that they sent

we never questioned this as we thought they new what they were doing

Edited by nixon

Can't help you much but I am so sorry for your loss. :eek: I lost a 12 month old german sheperd to liver cancer and contacted the breeders we bought him off. They were obviously very distressed and offered us $200 off a puppy from an exact same mating if we were interested. We did that and that dog is now 4 years old now with no problems. I don't know how prolific your breed is, but $2000 is too much money to just walk away from, I'd be chasing it up! RIP little puppy

nixon i am so sorry to hear about your puppy, and so sorry your kids had to lose their new puppy so soon.

If I were you I would take Jed's advice, and hit them where it hurts - in the pocket. Then order another puppy thru one of the breeder's Jed recommends.

Good luck!

so are we talking about an aussie bulldog?

Yeah he was an Aussie bulldog

They are not a new bull breed but a cross breed with a fancy name to con people out of a lot of money to buy what is essentially a mongrel. They are well known for having a host of health problems inherited from the many breeds used. Even "the gardener" that first promoted them, went very quiet when his one died at an early age from inherited health problems. The so called "breed association" is not recognised by any controlling body so is just a bunch of people who got together and came up with a name for their crossbreds.

Sorry you were burnt by this and I hope comsumer affairs can help you get your money back. Next time you look for a puppy, try a proper registered pure bred with decades of dedicated breedign behind it, not a designer mongrel.

If you paid by credit card, write to the credit card people (eg mastercard or visa not the bank), and explain that you did not receive what you paid for (eg a healthy puppy with papers), and ask for your money back from them.

I've had money refunded me a few times using this approach.

nixon i am so sorry to hear about your puppy, and so sorry your kids had to lose their new puppy so soon.

If I were you I would take Jed's advice, and hit them where it hurts - in the pocket. Then order another puppy thru one of the breeder's Jed recommends.

Good luck!

It is very hard to recommend a breeder indigirl and it is certainly something I would never ever do. Even with my short time in the Bulldog breed :eek:

As acting Secretary of the Qld Bulldog Club I would advise that if Nixon felt they would like to maybe purchase a Bulldog when the time is right then the Club will be there to offer as much advice as possible to help with the puppy selection process. But would never recommend a breeder.

I am in no way suggesting that the puppy you had Nixon was a Neo Bulldog cross but I do know that they did have a litter awhile ago. Maybe they had another litter. I had a fair idea who the breeders were when I saw the litter advertised and I emailed them asking about the litter. They emailed me back,obviously knowing who I was. It confirmed my thoughts I have had for a long time.

I have no idea about your breed, but just

wanted to give you hugs for your loss, what a horrible thing to happen

i hope your daughter is ok

:laugh:

Edited by *Heidi*

What a terrible thing to happen. I think $2000 is way too much to spend on a crossbreed that you probably could have picked up something similar from a rescue shelter for a few hundred dollars.

I have had dealings the small claims tribunal over a rental property and they were not very helpful but you might have better luck. You have to represent yourself so put in your claim quickly so that you can choose the court you go to as sometimes you have to travel to the court that is closest to the person that you are making the claim about. I am not sure how much money you want to spend trying to retrieve your $2000 as if the breeder says they have no money then you wont get it anyway. Maybe just have to right the whole experience off as a learning situation.

Actually with most Fair Trading or CTTT disputes - it is the closest mediation point/court to the claimant that is selected... conference call proceedings can be arranged if travel for either party is prohibitive.

I'd say that the OP has a very good case for small claims - the autopsy report is rather damning evidence and will stand well in court - especially against a vet check declaring "health" at time of sale, which apparently hasn't been supplied with said pup anyway...

T.

I just wanted to add that even without receipts from these people a clear business transaction has occured with them - they had the dog, they took part in the transportation of the dog, you will hopefully have some evidence of payment and since the dog ended up in your possession it is clear the business transaction was finalised. Sorry to put it like that but for Consumer Affairs or for a court case it is evidence, even if the 'breeders' pretend they can't find any paperwork. And as Jed said all goods have an implied warranty meaning that you bought the item in good faith that it would perform its basic function for a reasonable period of time (regardless of the warranty being provided). I don't know of many goods that we would spend $2000 on knowing we were only getting 8 days of the item operating. So you have established 2 things fairly easily - a business transaction did occur and your implied warranty was breached.

Very, very sorry you had to go through this experience with your much wanted puppy.