Pet Sitters Who Will Stay Over

k9katz

I have been looking for a service of someone that will come and stay in my house with my dogs for a couple of nights while we have to go away on business and cannot find anything. Lots that will come and feed and walk the dogs but none that stay overnight. I am in Northern suburbs of Melbourne - does anyone know of such a service in this area? They have a doggy door so can let themselves in and out but I would feel better if someone stayed overnight with them.

I cant help you as I live on the Gold Coast but I was lucky enough to look on a web site called www.housecarers.com and I got lucky. The first person I found was a 29 year old vet nurse that lives in the next suburb to me and she was available to house sit.

Nikkie has been coming to my house for one night to nine nights for the last eight months and I couldn't be happier. I have four dogs, a cat and two parrots and they have all been taken care of beautifully. My house is also well cared for in the process.

Nikkie is the second vet nurse we have had as our house sitters, the last one I meet through a friend and I had her for over two years.

Try this web site or perhaps ask at the local vet if anyone is interested.

I asked for written references and just had a really good gut feel when I first meet my sitter. We did have one lady in between that I only used twice and didn't feel right so we didn't use her again. I don't think she did anything wrong except she was always out when I called.

I would much rather have someone stay at my house then put my animals into a kennel, plus its way cheaper.

Good luck

We have found some wonderful people on Happy House Sitters.

We have had a family stay at our house the last two January's when we've gone away. Works perfectly for all of us. Also, we have found another couple on there who don't live all that far away. They are just happy to have a change of scenery for a couple of days here and there. The dogs have been spoilt rotten and our hose very well looked after. There are usually quite a lot of people on there who will suit your requirements. I think there may be a fee for registration but you don't need to pay the people to come and sit. They do it for a sort of mini holiday.

Oh, it's a shame you arent in Adelaide. I work for Pet Sitters Australia and this is the service we offer. We also offer this service is Sydney, but so far not in Melbourne. What a shame! Perhaps you could contact those pet sitters you have found and ask if they can offer that service. You never know they may be willing to help you out.

Edited by GSD FAN

I placed an ad on Happy Housesitters and found a great couple who were vet students. Most will only come for longer stays ie over 2 weeks but I would certainly suggest to do a google search for Housesitters and place an ad. You screen them and ours provided lots of references. We have had four different housesitters over the years and they have all been great. I have come home to a house that was cleaner than I ever left it which was an added bonus!!

I met a lady who does this through my work. I haven't used her myself but the poeple she does work for have used her for 10years +

I am always hesitant in reccomending people I haven't used myself but if you get desperate I can pm you her number. But you will have to do the research on her yourself. I have met her and she seemed lovely, and i am using her in the future, but have no experience with her to date.

laneka, the deal with Happy Housesitters tends to be that the house-sitter looks after your house, garden, pool, pets, mail etc but pays no rent during that time. They pay for utilities as well, although perhaps not for just one week.

We're looking at them as an option for next year when we're going overseas for six months, and need the house to be looked after as well as our dog, Jack.

I use a service called "dont fret pet" where our dog who had never been to a kennel went to a minders house who worked from home so Zoe had one on one care for a whole week!!! She was in my area (eastern Melb) and it worked out great as our girl doesnt like to be alone...

www.dontfretpet.com.au

laneka, the deal with Happy Housesitters tends to be that the house-sitter looks after your house, garden, pool, pets, mail etc but pays no rent during that time. They pay for utilities as well, although perhaps not for just one week.

We're looking at them as an option for next year when we're going overseas for six months, and need the house to be looked after as well as our dog, Jack.

That sounds brilliant. The shortest we are looking at is 2 weeks. Thanks for the info.

Happy Housesitters was brilliant!! We used them over Xmas and have nothing but praise for their services!! We are near Eltham in Melbourne and they looked after our dogs, cats, fish and a snake as well as keeping the house spotless and looking after our plants - just awesome!

Our dogs can't wait till we go away again!

I just put an ad on Happy House sitters this afternoon and have already recieved one inquiry to sit for us and look after our dog for 3 weeks and it will cost us nothing, were as a place like Don't fret pet will cost about $35 per day for your dog to go to a carers house so I am hoping that this happy house sitter thing works out for us.

I just put an ad on Happy House sitters this afternoon and have already recieved one inquiry to sit for us and look after our dog for 3 weeks and it will cost us nothing, were as a place like Don't fret pet will cost about $35 per day for your dog to go to a carers house so I am hoping that this happy house sitter thing works out for us.

I hope the housesitting works out well for you also. I am also registered with Happy House Sitters and it seems to be a good site, although finding a housesit where you can take your own pet is near impossible. Oh well. Keep us informed with how it goes!

I hope the housesitting works out well for you also. I am also registered with Happy House Sitters and it seems to be a good site, although finding a housesit where you can take your own pet is near impossible. Oh well. Keep us informed with how it goes!

GDS Fan, don't give up hope. One of the people who contacted me had their own dog and they have been able to house sit for several people and take their own dog so there are people out there that will do it. They said they haven't had any problems to date and that they usually meet on neutral ground well in advance of the house sit to see how the dogs are together. I guess it depends on the individual and the mix of dogs.