Dr Bruce's Vets All Natural

I was given a sample of this to try on Dory. I don't know a lot about it and I'm willing to give it a go, could free me up some time for those nights her vegies haven't defrosted.

My one BIG question is...will it flare up her allergies? Has anyone with an allergy dog used it and what do they report?

Aside from some grass allergy, I'm pretty sure Dory has some food allergies. Haven't really done any elimination diet techniques but have noticed she is extra smelly after too much red meat and if someone has given her any bread. Noticed the red meat thing when she was all raw and notice she is susecptible to bread when she is getting commercial food.

I've never been a big grain feeder when feeding raw diet, so seeking some experiences of others and reassurance that I'm not going to get a 'stinky cornflake' dog. (Her allergy smells remind me of leftover cornflakes. :( )

... but have noticed she is extra smelly after too much red meat and if someone has given her any bread. Noticed the red meat thing when she was all raw and notice she is susecptible to bread when she is getting commercial food.

I've never been a big grain feeder when feeding raw diet, so seeking some experiences of others and reassurance that I'm not going to get a 'stinky cornflake' dog. (Her allergy smells remind me of leftover cornflakes. :( )

I've tried Dr Bruce's and my girl certainly enjoyed it with no problems. What about also trying Dr Billinghurst patties - they have fruits and vegies with meat, but come in other flavours e.g chicken, pork etc, not just red meat

http://www.drianbillinghurst.com/

I avoid anything with wheat in it - gives my girl the runs. If you'd like to try some dog biccies without wheat, and with all organic ingredients, try these

http://www.muttsbeluvbarkery.com.au/Pages.asp?PageID=7

Thanks Guys! I feel better about it now.

I home prepare her vegies (BF thinks it funny we bought a juicer JUST for Dory...although now he gives us his leftover fruit for her)...however sometimes I don't have enough time to whizz up a batch when I run low in the freezer and I thought this product might be a good substitute when I'm all out. In the past I've always had a small bag of commercial allergy formula to tide me over, but Dory is a very astute girl and will only eat this under pressure of starvation....or lathered in sardines. :(

I've been dabbling in a raw food diet, and daily make up smoothies which consist of fruits and greens all blended together - they are so fast and easy to make, and my girl gets a share of what I make (she loves them) - I have noticed her coat is shinier, and those rough bits that dogs get on their elbows have reduced also.

ETA - for her, I'll add maybe a chicken neck or wing, but for me the smoothie is a complete meal - and very filling.

Edited by Mila's Mum

Bruce encourages people to email him if you have questions about his products or any medical/dietary problems

[email protected]

I went to a seminar given by him, the fact the grains are whole and simply act to help clean the gut to not flare up allergies like milled or processed grains.

On his website it says this about the Premium product

... It has a proven track record of producing exceptional health and natural vigour in all pets that eat it, and it will actually help to treat, or control, many chronic health problems, like skin disease, and teeth and gum problems... Premium Choice is formulated using 100% raw, unprocessed ingredients. The meat is top quality, and free range. It is mixed with a blend of raw crushed and rolled cereal grains (but no wheat, flour, or fillers), vegetables, parsley, garlic, and a range of natural vitamin and mineral supplements.

This is probably too much information but after my girl has eaten the Premium product, she has very good poops.

Sas from DOL was supplied with a tonne of the stuff to try on her allergic dane, complete with all the supplements they recommend for allergies, but unfortunately it made him worse.

But it depends on the dog really...

Don't you have to soak this stuff overnight? I have a bag and haven't used much from it because I forget to prepare it.

Yip, 24hrs if possible for the complete mix, we are on an elimination diet at the moment so we are not using it but I will go back to it once we get the all clear.

Love the new sig GR!

Just gave dory her first feed of it, mixed in her fav sardines. She ate the lot, which is good considering she has had a pig out at the DOL meet today. Little bugger stealing other dogs sausages.

She wasn't too sure to start with.

I hope she doesn't get itchy with it. Because I've just mixed up her next lot and I think that this is going to be a brilliant 'travel' feed for her. Can of 'dines and some of this stuff we are good to go for overnighters at the BF's. Which has been one of the biggest challenges to keeping her on raw. He just hasn't got freezer space and I don't want her to have that many bone meals.

I did a Vets All Natural Diet on my allergic Dane, he was worse than ever, I took him off it after about 8 weeks and he got better but didn't seem to fully recover from the experience and is still worse than what he was before hand.

I did the complete mix with VAN meat and the supplement, all up it cost me around $100 every 1.5 weeks for a 60 kilo dog.

Edited by sas

I did and do VAN system (Complete mix and Allerblend) and for a while the Skin supplement and Omega blend and my bullie had no problem with his tummy rash whilst on it, but he has soft stools and can't hold "it" for more then 4-5hrs. So I started incorporating a grainfree kibble back into his diet. This helped him last the night and gave him firm stools, but after 2 weeks of only 2 handfuls of kibble a day, on top of the VAN, his rash is back :vomit:

So back to just VAN for us.

btw - only the Complete Mix needs to be soaked 12-24hrs before feeding

Still no itching...parcel delivery came, but as it was dark couldn't see. I did see it smiling at me as we went outside....she'd been holding onto it...but then nipped off somewhere I couldn't see to deposit.

Gave her some more tonight, this time mixed with some eggs. At BF's house, finished a late shift at work and shops were closed so couldn't pick up some mince. Nicked some of his eggs though. :) She seemed quite keen on eating it tonight. Eggs are not one of her favourite foods, she will eat them but not with relish. Tonight however she seemed interested. But then again she didn't have her usual brekkie AND the other girls at work did not bribe her with treats. Scammed some liver at puppy preschool though. (Atta girl)