Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah and I will be back at training this weekend after a bit of a hiatus :) It will be interesting to see how she goes and we get to test out the new camera :thumbsup:

and I've had hubby promise to get me this for my birthday in June... http://www.crazysales.com.au/dog-agility-training-3-piece-combo-set.html

Good to hear Leah!

Just a note of caution - the weave poles advertised are 500mm gap whilst standard competition poles are 600mm gap - 10 cm will make a huge amount of difference as to how your dog patterns her stride. I have a cheap tunnel and is bloody hopeless - fine for a dog that is trotting through but difficult to pin down and keep stable when a dog is driving through it at speed. I have just made 2 wings for my jumps that cost $22 each using poly pipe and connectors from Bunnings - regular jumps would cost even less obviously. You can buy jump cups from Clean run. If you don't have the $$$ to spend, save for a decent tunnel and make your own cheap jumps. I use upright poles that screw in the ground for weaves (from Clean Run) - not perfect but it does the trick.

Thanks TSD, will keep that in mind.

At 8 years old I'm not sure Sarah will ever be trial material but we have fun and I need something that is light and packs up well as we may be moving to the other side of the country next year.

TSD what fittings did you use to make the jumps? I have never been able to find the right ones. I landed up buying some from someone at my club - $130 each but very nice - but could always do with more (not that I have space in my teeny garden).

It looks like at least 2 clubs are going down the winged route in Vic - yay! Do you know if Croydon is going to change over?

TSD what fittings did you use to make the jumps? I have never been able to find the right ones. I landed up buying some from someone at my club - $130 each but very nice - but could always do with more (not that I have space in my teeny garden).

It looks like at least 2 clubs are going down the winged route in Vic - yay! Do you know if Croydon is going to change over?

Croydon hasn't yet but there is talk and I think a couple of jumps have been ordered. Vic is behind the other states so it's going to be inevitable.

I just use the PVC pipe fittings from Bunnings with the smaller (3/4 inch?) pipes that come in metre lengths - does that help?

ETA: The connectors look like this although I can't work out if this is the size I use: http://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-32mm-6m-press-pvc-plain-tees-pvt32_p3142368

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Croydon hasn't yet but there is talk and I think a couple of jumps have been ordered. Vic is behind the other states so it's going to be inevitable.

I just use the PVC pipe fittings from Bunnings with the smaller (3/4 inch?) pipes that come in metre lengths - does that help?

ETA: The connectors look like this although I can't work out if this is the size I use: http://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-32mm-6m-press-pvc-plain-tees-pvt32_p3142368

Knox has ordered a couple as well so we should be seeing them soon

Sarah did pretty well today, she didn't shy away from any of the jumps and even knocked one over and didn't even flinch (something I've been dreading for awhile). I realise the goal is not to knock over jumps but I was concerned when it did happen she would get a fright and her progress would be for naught.

Unfortunately she was back on lead for the whole class, as she knew Collie was near by in the car. I attempted to let her off at the very beginning but she decided to use the opportunity to piss bolt as soon as the leash was off. And when she knows you're trying to catch her it just makes her more nervous.

I think next time hubby and I will go down separately, their focus is so much better when they know their best friend isn't near by.

Anyway here are some pics hubby managed to take while sarah and I were working :)

DSC00311_zpseff2762a.jpg

DSC00347_zps9cd11b45.jpg

Just thought I'd share one of the training sequences from the WAC sessions over here in the Netherlands. I love it when I get a chance to run this boy. Only one more full day of training before it starts to get very real. :)

• 2 weeks later...

She looks super DD! All healed from that injury by the looks of it!

We had our last session of the SG fundamentals course tonight. Going to miss the lessons heaps but plenty to work on. Just thrilled with Em - confidence is up and so are the bars. It's amazing how much this handling system has changed things up for all 3 of us :) I really have fallen in love with agility all over again.

Woo hoo! Another great weekend of agility trialling. Ziggy had a wonderful day, running lovely tight lines and thus turning the tables on the less experienced Em by beating her times and taking around 3 seconds off his usual times. Zig ended up with 2 Masters Jumping and 2 Masters Agility quallies from 5 runs, coming 1st in his height for all of them. He didn't disgrace himself in the overall placings either. Em had 2 Masters Jumping quallies from 3 runs and she really enjoyed herself, which is pretty much my only goal with her at the moment. Both dogs knocked one (different) bar (my handling fault) in the other very tough Masters Jumping course but otherwise nailed all the really difficult bits. Super proud of both of them and we all had a hoot. A few folk commented on my timely verbals and blind crosses which was pretty cool. I helped with set up on Friday afternoon, arrived at 6.15am on Saturday for set up, provided a quiche, bread, esky and ice sheets, helped change over the rings and even stewarded when it all got a bit much for one of our wonderful helpers. A lazy day beckons for Zig and I although I'm not sure Em agrees...

Wow what a great day TSD! We had a great weekend too! At yesterday's trial we got 2 JDM quallies with a 1st and a 2nd place! And in JDO we got the difficult distance which I thought we wouldn't get as I haven't trained a 'turn away from me' verbal, but I managed to pull him in, reset his line and send him and it worked! Unfortunately no quallie though as he had a lot of speed coming out of the distance and we didn't quite get the serp that followed lol.

Well done TSD :D

Jovi and I got our first masters (agility) pass at the same trial, we are still struggling with the time in masters jumping as I haven't found her on switch again which is a shame as we have gone clear in jumping a few times but always a few seconds over.

We had a couple of goes with her tug in NFC runs and boy was she flying! She brought her flyball speed so I know she has it in her, I think I may pull her out of jumping for awhile and enter her in just agility and if there are any NFC runs to see if I can bring back her enthusiasm.

That being said she is about to have a fairly big break as I am hoping to breed her in July/August :)

Edited by Sayreovi

Good on you and Jovi! It was a good day all around! The NFC are a great idea and it's good to see folk using them. It's a quiet few months for agility anyway with the Nationals looming so good timing :)

I'm going to work in an agility trial in SA before the retrieving nationals if I can get the time off....means I will definitely take Zig but he will have a ball.

Hi guys - some questions for you folk that are lucky enough to have NFC offered. I'd be really gratefully if anyone can give me some info on

- how/when NFC runs are offered in the structure of the trial - when are entries done, are they advertised ahead etc., cost?

- what conditions apply - e.g..toys allowed?

- does it have to be negotiated with the judges ahead of time?

- did the NFC thing have to go through Dogs Vic, Dogs West etc. first?

We are looking at doing NFC down here, and what to get our ducks lined up first :laugh:

Hi guys - some questions for you folk that are lucky enough to have NFC offered. I'd be really gratefully if anyone can give me some info on

- how/when NFC runs are offered in the structure of the trial - when are entries done, are they advertised ahead etc., cost?

- what conditions apply - e.g..toys allowed?

- does it have to be negotiated with the judges ahead of time?

- did the NFC thing have to go through Dogs Vic, Dogs West etc. first?

We are looking at doing NFC down here, and what to get our ducks lined up first :laugh:

It's been done in some states for a while, Tassie, but it's only just getting a look in here. Here's a link to a recent trial: http://www.agilitytrials.info/k9feb14top.htm

I'm sure the trial secretary could help you answer your questions but I will take my best guess at some of them for Vic trials.

NFC entries submitted at the same time as normal entries. They are advertised in the schedule (see below). Example cost: Entry Fee: $8.00 per class ($4.00 for 'Not For Competition' Open's*)

Toys only (noise less). No food. Toys must not leave the body of the handler.

I would suggest yes to negotiating with the judge - even out of politeness.

Not sure about the Dogs Vic aspect.

*Not For Competition - Open Classes

*The Open Jumping A & Open Agility A are being made available with an option

for competitors to enter as “Not For Competition”. This opportunity, for those so minded,

to run their Dogs in an Official trial environment, under the normal control of a Judge, as

a practice and experience gaining opportunity. No PASS can be attained, and these Dogs

will be run at the end of each height, no food allowed in the ring, if Toys are used they must

be small, noiseless and never leave the handlers body, each run will have a maximum time of

SCT in the ring so if/when Judge asks you to leave ring please do so immediately.

Such Dogs cannot also enter these Opens for a normal run or PASS opportunity.