Agility Training Talk Thread

Brilliant - thanks so much TSD. That's just the sort of thing I'm after. We're actually looking at it for obedience and Rally as well - our trials are very small, so it should be doable.

:thanks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a while since I have posted in here but some big changes with Hudson recently!

Came home a few weeks ago with a 1st in Elementary Jumping and 3rd in Elementary Agility from PADS.

Getting excited for agility nationals in a few weeks, hoping to finally have our weaves by then!

10409788_10152893526838662_1796182049608213596_n.jpg

Been a while since I have posted in here but some big changes with Hudson recently!

Came home a few weeks ago with a 1st in Elementary Jumping and 3rd in Elementary Agility from PADS.

Getting excited for agility nationals in a few weeks, hoping to finally have our weaves by then!

10409788_10152893526838662_1796182049608213596_n.jpg

On looks alone, he wins!!!!

Well done, Hudson! Very well done

:thumbsup:

1402044661[/url]' post='6498332']

Well done thumbsup1.gif and good luck at Nationals :)

Good luck to everyone at Nationals! Give team Kiwi (The Paw Blacks!) a big cheer from me! :thumbsup:

Elsie Jumpers run from today, bad handler giving late signals at the end... otherwise a lovely run!

Edited by DiscoDobe

In SA the only agility comps are the ones run by the ANKC, so it would be DogsSA. If your dog is main registered it will already be good to go, you will need to be a member yourself though. Most states offer some sort of associate membership where you get no voting rights, can't hold a prefix etc but you can participate in all ANKC events (and its cheaper). Cost varies from state to state.

Quick brag, my baby girl gained her ADM title last weekend, then backed it up with a spare card on the Sunday. Given that without the proper rehab she would have been retired years ago, I never thought she would make it this far. These days she is running better than ever and I am so proud of her. She is now AFCH Delta RN ADM ADO JDM JDO GDX SDX SPDM

I am still out after a knee reconstruction in March so Tailwag has been running her for me. It has taken a while to convince her that it is just as good as running with Mum, but she was on fire last weekend and hardly looked for me at all which was great to see.

You only need the DogsSA membership for trialling, if you are training at a club you just need to be a member there, whether or not you are an ANKC state body member doesn't usually make a difference. I'm confused, why are people yelling at you for using equipment :confused:

You only need the DogsSA membership for trialling, if you are training at a club you just need to be a member there, whether or not you are an ANKC state body member doesn't usually make a difference. I'm confused, why are people yelling at you for using equipment :confused:

Ha well I'm confused also. Been a member of said club for 3 years, have been training dogs for at least 20 (with other clubs throughout SA). Both husband and I would LOVE to get into agility and compete....and yet almost everytime we use the equipment we are getting told we can't. Yet others use equipment at will....why not us? Doesn't seem to be a reason. Bit over it

Are you part of the agility classes at the club? If not and your dog is injured then the club can find themselves in all sorts of trouble. I don't know of any clubs that will allow dogs on their equipment unless they are a member of their agility classes.

I don't quite understand. If class was cancelled, why was there equipment out? Are you sure it wasn't a more advanced class and you were interrupting their class? If your class was cancelled, why would you go and use the equipment anyway? I think I might be missing something here...

SAODC - lots of people get yelled at including sometimes trialing members - ie owners with dogs with titles.

Apparently it's an insurance thing. If you're not "supervised" by an instructor - it voids the insurance if anything goes wrong so the chief instructor (obedience) is really strict about it so the agility supervising instructor is also really strict about it.

It is a PITA. I tried to "become an an agility instructor" so that I could help with that and do my own thing or set up little routines for anyone who wanted to join in. But I was told we had too many instructors. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. It does take the joy out of training.

start rant.

Some nights I go out and help set up the "trialing / intermediate" course - intermediate are supposed to have first run but we intermediate) end up sharing with trialing people - and you're there from 6:30pm to 9pm or later for two runs. ARGH. And get yelled at any time you try to use the other stuff because "I was using that" - no you weren't, you were standing around talking. and you don't tell me when you're done using that.

We desperately need a bit more structure that allows for all students and instructors to get decent training in with their dogs.

Part of the problem is I need to go out with a written training plan for evil hound and stick to it. But a couple of times I have done that and not been able to do any of the stuff on my plan because none of the equipment is available to me.

thinking about trying some other clubs.

rant over.

SAODC - lots of people get yelled at including sometimes trialing members - ie owners with dogs with titles.

Apparently it's an insurance thing. If you're not "supervised" by an instructor - it voids the insurance if anything goes wrong so the chief instructor (obedience) is really strict about it so the agility supervising instructor is also really strict about it.

It is a PITA. I tried to "become an an agility instructor" so that I could help with that and do my own thing or set up little routines for anyone who wanted to join in. But I was told we had too many instructors. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. It does take the joy out of training.

start rant.

Some nights I go out and help set up the "trialing / intermediate" course - intermediate are supposed to have first run but we intermediate) end up sharing with trialing people - and you're there from 6:30pm to 9pm or later for two runs. ARGH. And get yelled at any time you try to use the other stuff because "I was using that" - no you weren't, you were standing around talking. and you don't tell me when you're done using that.

We desperately need a bit more structure that allows for all students and instructors to get decent training in with their dogs.

Part of the problem is I need to go out with a written training plan for evil hound and stick to it. But a couple of times I have done that and not been able to do any of the stuff on my plan because none of the equipment is available to me.

thinking about trying some other clubs.

rant over.

I'd be looking for another club :( I take the Advanced class & I also have 3 Intermediates in the class. I set up an exercise each week & have it planned so that there are two levels of challenge, using the same equipment. We all get the same amount of turns, no matter what level we are at, but I spend more time with the Int. group & we all help each other. If we run over time, that is not a problem. I also have equipment set up away from the main course, so that they can practice weaves, or contacts or whatever while they are waiting for their run. It's not that hard to cater for two levels, as long as it is organised & if someone wants more instruction, then I encourage them to get to class early for some one on one. There are ten in my class & we all get along well :)