Agility Training Talk Thread

Oh oh, funny story from tonight :winner: Well, at least I thought so :)

I was working contacts with Millie, then directly after, I sent her through a tunnel. She comes to the end of the tunnel and stops, half in, half out. Weird, I thought. Sent her again, did the same thing. I worked out my dog is doing contacts in a tunnel :):o A throw of her squeaky ball as she came out the other end quickly fixed that, but how hilarious :D

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been nagging my dad for a looooong time and he is going to weld me two base plates on the weekend. :winner:

amypie has an awesome brother! He made us some weave bases :)

Have to say, they are a pain to lug around and set up all the time, but once set up, awesome things to have!

Trixie did the full height dog walk and A frame last night, I hadn't run her over them before and had only done a little baby dog walk in one session a few weeks ago and some lowered a frame stuff when she was younger. I was intending on postponing it a bit but I was doing end contacts on the dog walk and she took off over it and did her contact at the end.

Same with the A frame although I did have a mini heart attack seeing my 'baby' so high up in the air :):winner: She has never had any fear of heights whatsoever, she was pelting along the dog walk. On the A frame she was shifting the weight back to her rear and stopping for the 2o2o nicely.

Going to pick up my weave bases this weekend so I can start training 2x2 weaves with her :)

Edited by amypie

Trixie has lovely contacts! Can you train mine for me? :D Millie knows she has to stop somewhere on the end... unfortunately, she stops too far up :)

But she does lovely tunnel contacts :) I didn't even have to train for those and they are beyootiful! :winner::o

Hey Tassie! Return road trip to Bendigo today so more time to think about decel :D Is there a point at which we start teaching it on the weave poles? Currently I'm tossing food on the line and he just thinks he's so clever driving so enthusiastically but I think he needs a challenge. Need to work on entries as well but not much room to move!

Hi TSD - take care on the road - oh a bit late - you'll be there now. :)

Anyway - not sure what you're meaning about teaching decel on the weave poles. I'd prefer to just concentrate on independent weaving - you want the dog to know by himself that he has to collect to get his entry, and then keep weaving through, blasting to the correct exit, regardless of where you are or what you're doing.

The challenges to put into weaving are things like entry angles, lateral distance, handler position and motion (to be ignored LOL), and toys etc scattered around.

Once the weavers are totally solid, you can start putting them into challenging sequences - as in Disc 2 of the 2x2 weaves DVD.

Know what you mean about not enough room to do reallly hard entries - my flat space at home is pretty limited.

...Anyway...

She goes through the poles the correct way, and gets her tug well to the North of both poles, with some of my throws - roughly where the second set of poles will end up for the next phase. And then she kills the tug, does a bit of self flagellation, and comes back - through the poles - the wrong way, well the right way for the direction she's going... like she loves those poles so much... even when I take them out, it's her new favourite bit of the lawn.

So I'm trying to do less reward/tug for slow retrieves, and wandering retrieves (extra runs through the poles) and more for when she gets it absolutely right - ie fast find entry through and out to get tug in the distance and a direct return with tug toy. It's starting to happen more often. Might pair it with uber food treat too.

I wasn't going to worry about her coming back with the toy through the poles until later.

I would worry about her coming back through the poles. Susan G is very clear about avoiding that. Her trick for a dog that doesn't retreive the toy back to you for a game is to put a long light line on it. The other really important thing she emphasises is that as soon as you've thrown the toy you need to move away from the poles - probably throwing in a front cross move, to get your dog to come back without going through the poles. The movement needs to be pretty dramatic at first, and exciting, to get the dog to chase you, but they get it fairly soon.

If your dog can hand target, that helps to get them back to you without going back through the poles - so move away, front cross, appropriate hand held out to get the dog to the appropriate side, excitement .. you get the picture

I would worry about her coming back through the poles. Susan G is very clear about avoiding that. Her trick for a dog that doesn't retreive the toy back to you for a game is to put a long light line on it. The other really important thing she emphasises is that as soon as you've thrown the toy you need to move away from the poles - probably throwing in a front cross move, to get your dog to come back without going through the poles. The movement needs to be pretty dramatic at first, and exciting, to get the dog to chase you, but they get it fairly soon.

Totally agree on both points. The alternative to the long line is to teach the retrieve/play before you teach the weavers. :confused:

We spent a lot of time shaping a retrieve when Linda OH was out her earlier in the year - not that my dog won't retrieve, but it was more that he did it on his terms. Shaping it makes it way cool for them and IMO ends up with a better result. (Linda works for Susan.)

It is really important to handle your dog around the poles as well - back weaving is like self rewarding - a big no no.

Tah for that Tassie and Agility Dogs

I really need to review the dvd again for what's next and when to go there and what to make sure is right before I start on the next bit, though I do get impatient.

Sometimes I just do retrieves and sometimes I do weave/retrieve. So now I will make sure I move when she weaves so the retrieve line is not near the poles.

I'm getting faster recalls by doing the run away thing more. And she's really enjoying it. And I'm mixing that with the retrieves to get a faster retrieve. I find if I call her - she drops the toy and comes, but if I run, she brings the toy with.

Really need some work on the retreives and play generally. I'm thinking the food paired with tug/retrieve might help plus the chase me game - as long as it's chase the handler, not handler chase the dog game that my evil hound is so fond of.

Thanks Tassie! I'm on the right track then as that is what I am doing - I mix up my position etc as much as possible and it's such a joy to see him fly through. It all just feels too easy because he's so keen. I trained my last dog in agility quite some years ago and it was long before the rise of independent entries....let alone handling on both sides and a course other than a figure 8 :lollipop::rofl:

I was going to tell you to film it but I will be there! Film it anyway :o

Wait, I just realised this means my camera lady is back :laugh::)

Yeah I am :) PM me which trials you will be in from this K9, now Linky os going on holidays I can probably do more agility trials. :laugh:

Have barely looked at the schedule, only one I've entered so far is Perth :laugh: I'll let you know which other ones I'm planning to do :laugh: You have a 'home' trial coming up don't you? In Midland?

Have barely looked at the schedule, only one I've entered so far is Perth :laugh: I'll let you know which other ones I'm planning to do :o You have a 'home' trial coming up don't you? In Midland?

I think it's at K9 grounds though. I wish it was at Midland! That would be so easy! :laugh:

I was pretty sure it said Jack Mann Oval but I might have imagined it, I'll check tonight and let you know :laugh:

I hope so! I will be able to get up like half an hour before it starts, have brekky drive down, if I forget anything I can duck back home. :laugh:

Not like K9 which is so far away. :o

Quick question ( and I apologise to Amypie I have not watched the jumping dvd yet ) methodes to teach a dog to jump, what are they? And I am also looking for some tips on teaching contacts, just curious to find out what other ways there are to teach a dog to do things besides what we are shown in class.

We're going right back to basics at the moment.

Trying to tug them off their contact position

Weaving with 3 poles

Picking the correct tunnel entrance from a jump right in front

Collection & Extension grids

Sending around big speed circles

I'm finding a number of very basic holes in our training. They are all things we have covered but obviously need a revision course on. Makes me realise that even though my dogs are in Masters, I need to be going right back to the beginning a lot more regularly...Masters courses are after all a complex set of the basics.