Dogs And Guilt - Your Experiences

jacqui835

I know everyone always says that dogs don't know if they've done something wrong or not and they only look guilty/sad etc because the owner reprimands them, but I'm feeling more and more lately that I would have to disagree. Just then for example, just got back from a 2 hour walk and having had a drink, the dog ran upstairs as is usual to curl up in his chair in my room, because I always do my facebooking and what not after our walks, it's a routine. I was held up, talking to my brother about his trip to the aquarium and didn't actually know that the dog was upstairs already. Anyway, coming up the stairs, already thinking about what my next facebook status will be, emails I have to reply to and what to do for dinner, the last thing on my mind was the dog or what he could be up to. But then, I see his head poking around the corner from upstairs, and he is looking guilty as anything. Ears way back, head down, eyes pleading, looking very sad and like he wants to make up for something and regain my approval. Still I have no idea what he could have done, so I'm just confused and say nothing. His behaviour continues, I reach the top of the stairs and notice one of my hair elastics (which he's not meant to touch) on the ground behind him. By this stage, dog is practically lying on the floor and his eyes could inspire poetry. I grab my elastic and am so shocked by the dog's behaviour that I almost forget to tell him off, but then I remember, and quickly turn to say, naughty boy etc as I pick up the elastic. Once I turn away, dog jumps up and all is forgotten and great between us again, so I'm guessing the hair elastic was the problem.

This is the 2nd time I can think of that this has happened.

First time was even possibly more dramatic and perhaps indicative. He had peed in the house right next to the door, because although it was open for him, it was raining outside, and being the wussy 40+kg doberman he is, the rain is just too much for him. Again though, I had no idea this had happened, and having just finished my own dinner, was calling him for his. He didn't come though which I thought was very odd (he is typically a keen eater and also usually very responsive to his name), so I started looking for him, and finally found him crouched practically hiding under the indoor clothes line thing again looking terribly sad and guilty. I was confused but at this point suspicious, and started looking around to see what could have caused it, and then saw the puddle on the floor. Told him he was a very bad boy and he ran outside into the rain without me even telling him to, as that is the usual punishment for peeing inside. Once I finished cleaning it up, I let him back in, and again we were best friends, all forgotten.

It's like he knows he's done something wrong, even if sometimes I think he does it before he can think about it, but after the heat of the moment has passed, he knows it won't make me happy and he can't do anything else until I've found it and told him off for it.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Just curious, Am I wrong in thinking that there is pretty much No way that your dog associated that wee with being told off? Unless you literally caught him in the act of peeing, he wouldn't have associated -peeing inside- with being told No.

Well I would have agreed with you in the past, but I do believe my dog now knows it's wrong (in the sense that it will upset pack leader if you like). Even before I have seen it, if I'm close to it, he starts looking terribly sad with himself and starting to dip his head/display very submissive behaviour etc. Only after I see that do I start to suspect and then look for it - so I don't think he could be getting it off me. I will try to take a photo of his expression, with his little doberman marking eyebrow thingies, he has a very emotive face lol. I think what was said earlier perhaps applies here, he has a learned association that peeing indoors upsets me, and gets him into trouble. He doesn't forget about it until he has received punishment (which consists of a naughty boy and go outside) and typically, he will be hanging around the back door before I even know anything is up, because he's expecting to be put outside.

EDIT: This is also perhaps because he has been caught many times (mostly when he was a puppy) in the act peeing inside and being told off for it; he knows it's wrong. I don't think you could teach a dog by punishing them for something they did hours ago, but if you've caught them in the act multiple times, I think they are able to put 2 and 2 together, when you're standing over the mess they made and upset.

He is house trained btw, he just hates the rain and occasionally slips up.

Edited by jacqui835

my BC isnt known as Mo by my OH for nothing.....

he thinks my BC is Emo and puts on her "Mo" face all the time.......apparently she ALWAYS trying to make me feel guilty.... for everything..... :rofl: i think its true.... lol