I Found A Dog Today - Shame About It's Owners!

ashaflynn

On the way to work today I very nearly hit a pointer, who was running along a very busy road. Luckily I managed to avoid her and pulled up on the side of the road - I was holding my breath that the car behind me didn't hit her and luckily they managed to avoid her aswell

I got out of the car very tentatively .. worried that if I tried to approach the dog she might run out into the road if frightened but when I spoke and called out to her she came running a hundred miles an hour and practically threw herself at me in excitement! :thumbsup:

She was wearing a collar with a name tag and phone number on it, I called the number but there was no answer so I left a message. So, there I stood on the side of the road at 7.30am with a very happy pointer girl called Kelly, wondering what to do with her.

I opened the car door and Kelly thought "wacko ... we're going for a ride" and launched herself in. She sat in the front, she sat in the back and she tried to sit on my lap but after a serious discussion we finally decided that sitting on passenger seat, like a good girl was the better option. I figured at that time in the morning the vets or pound wouldn't be open so I bravely decided to take her to work with me! :D This was a brave move as it's a new job and have only been there for four weeks but figured ... who could resist such a sweet, happy girl and the accompanying sob story ... she nearly got run over ... she's lost .... couldn't leave her there ... blah .. blah ... blah!

Arrived at work and introduced her around the office ... she immediately made friends with everyone, had a good drink of water, a couple of biscuits and then lay down next to my workstation. I phoned the number again and the owners answered. They hadn't checked the message I left earlier and didn't even know the dog was missing! :sleep: The lady said "oh, she ran off a couple of days ago too but came back last night. She must of got out again this morning aswell".

Anyway, they organised for her husband to come and collect her and while I was waiting for him I noticed Kelly was in season. When he arrived he didn't seem overly concerned about the dog and was not even very thankful that I'd picked her up .. just kept complaining that she kept running away! I pointed out that she was in season and he said "oh yeah ... probably .. maybe we should get her fixed". :) I told him he'd better get her to the vet as she's more than likely been mated already but he didn't seem too worried about the whole thing!

I'm really mad .... in hindsight I should have taken her to the pound so they'd have had to pay to get her out etc etc and maybe that would wake them up to take more care with her and do the right thing in future. Of course there's no guarantee that would have made any difference and frankly I just couldn't bring myself to take her there! Oh well ... at least she didn't get run over and had a nice morning out, making new friends in my office! :wave:

good job in saving a dog in the road....

but really you only spoke to the owners for less than 30min?

and from that you have decided that they don't care about the dog and are not going to de sex or take steps to fix the fence.

the poor guy may have been embarrassed if the dog has become harry Houdini.... and a tart too boot.

people don't always do the worst thing. they may not want to get into a discussion about dog ownership.... with a stranger.

their fence maybe fine, but the dog may have decided to make a break for it..... even with their best intentions. whos to say the milk man did not leave the gate open or neighbour hood kids! :thumbsup: :D

good job in saving a dog in the road....

but really you only spoke to the owners for less than 30min?

and from that you have decided that they don't care about the dog and are not going to de sex or take steps to fix the fence.

the poor guy may have been embarrassed if the dog has become harry Houdini.... and a tart too boot.

people don't always do the worst thing. they may not want to get into a discussion about dog ownership.... with a stranger.

their fence maybe fine, but the dog may have decided to make a break for it..... even with their best intentions. whos to say the milk man did not leave the gate open or neighbour hood kids! :thumbsup: :D

Sorry .. probably should have gone into a little more detail ... when I spoke to the woman she said they had been leaving the dog on a chain and then when they let her off it the dog runs away. When the guy came to pick her up he said she's been doing this regularly since last year. When i mentioned she is in season he didn't seem surprised and actually said "oh yeah .. probably". I'm sorry ... but if they have been aware of this issue since last year, have been chaining the dog up and are aware the dog is in season and tramping about the neighbourhood wouldn't you do something about it???

I don't think it's over the top to expect a little more from dog owners and frankly the dog is lucky to not be dead right now!

if they have resorted to chaining dog up it suggest to me a harry Houdini.......

and they could very well be trying to keep doggie out of trouble and not suceeding.

sorry i just think its very easy to sit in judgement of people, while i do understand your frustration.

there is not much you can do...

if you do dump the dog at the pound you do not know if the owners will pick her up or she will be pst. in the case of a harry houdini, they might decide seeing as she's already there to leave her there easier all round if they have reached the end of there rope.

it could make things worse for the dog!

I see the bad in people before the good (so many idiots around) and he sure sounds like a CRAP owner to me :laugh: Sometimes I think dogs would be better off PTS nicely than going back to their careless owners and getting out again and again and then getting hit and laying on the road in agony. So many friggin stupid owners around :laugh:

if they have resorted to chaining dog up it suggest to me a harry Houdini.......

and they could very well be trying to keep doggie out of trouble and not suceeding.

sorry i just think its very easy to sit in judgement of people, while i do understand your frustration.

there is not much you can do...

if you do dump the dog at the pound you do not know if the owners will pick her up or she will be pst. in the case of a harry houdini, they might decide seeing as she's already there to leave her there easier all round if they have reached the end of there rope.

it could make things worse for the dog!

Sorry, but I tend to agree with the original poster. If these people know their dog is a seasoned escapee, then for heavens sake, do something about it!!! Now that she's in season, even if she was chained, which by the way is not an ideal way for this dog to live, if she got out, then there is no doubt in my mind that an entire male dog could get in when he gets a whiff of a bitch in season. These people sound to me to be irresponsible owners and perhaps don't deserve to have a dog. Would you do this if you had an entire bitch?

when a dog is in season.... the instinct to mate is strong.... i have had (a long time ago) a female in a town situation in which a dog from 3km away tryed to break my laundary door down and nearly suceeded....

it was a large ridge back and very strong.

if a male is determined or a female in that case unless they are locked in a mesh box, hard to stop nature taking it course. even then if the fence is large mesh i have seen a tie thru the fence.not sure how but .... nature is a funny thing.

not saying its right mind......

the chain may have been the only way to contain the dog.... seasoned escapees can be tricky to deal with.

they might not have had the option of leccy ping string.... etc. they might be renting and not allowed to build a yard....

there a thousand reasons......

although it you guys want to see every dog owner except those angels who post here on dol.... as bastards that need to be shot! with poor long suffering dogs who should be pst..... so be it.

if the op feels the dog would be better off dead why did they save it from being killed on the road?

when a dog is in season.... the instinct to mate is strong.... i have had (a long time ago) a female in a town situation in which a dog from 3km away tryed to break my laundary door down and nearly suceeded....

if a male is determined or a female in that case unless they are locked in a mesh box, hard to stop nature taking it course. even then if the fence is large mesh i have seen a tie thru the fence.not sure how but .... nature is a funny thing.

the chain may have been the only way to contain the dog.... seasoned escapees can be tricky to deal with.

they might not have had the option of leccy ping string.... etc. they might be renting and not allowed to build a yard....

although it you guys want to see every dog owner except those angels who post here on dol.... as bastards that need to be shot! with poor long suffering dogs who should be pst..... so be it.

if the op feels the dog would be better off dead why did they save it from being killed on the road?

Firstly, where did the op say the dog was better off dead. I didn't see that. Now. you have reinforced what I said about a male getting to a bitch in season. If the young bitch in question is chained in the back yard, then what hope is there to stop her being mated? You yourself said a large ridgeback tried to break down your laundry door and you have seen a tie through a mesh fence. They are still irresponsible owners. She's probably escaping BECAUSE she is in season. What do you think they will do with the pups if they eventuate? Nobody is saying they are as you quote 'bastards'. That's a ridiculous statement to make.

Sorry, but I tend to agree with the original poster. If these people know their dog is a seasoned escapee, then for heavens sake, do something about it!!! Now that she's in season, even if she was chained, which by the way is not an ideal way for this dog to live, if she got out, then there is no doubt in my mind that an entire male dog could get in when he gets a whiff of a bitch in season. These people sound to me to be irresponsible owners and perhaps don't deserve to have a dog. Would you do this if you had an entire bitch?

Totally agree. There's no way I'd be leaving my bitch in season in the backyard. She's inside in her own bedroom, never goes out to the toilet without human attendance and is separated inside from the other dogs by two rooms so we can always keep them separated while moving everyone in and out of living areas.

Thankfully the OP was kind enough and lucky enough to have details to contact the owners. I've frequently saved strays off the streets around my place and very rarely get more than an "oh yeah, thanks". Only slight exception was when I saved an 7yr labradoodle that had no ID but a council tag. I had to wait till the council contacted the owner and they then contacted me. She was so panicked that her 'dogs' had got out. I had to let her know we only had the one, you can imagine how she must have felt! 30min later her very disorientated 12yr terrier mix trotted past the house and I was able to coax it inside.

The relief on the womans face when she picked them up was priceless, and she was obviously embarrassed.

Venting after such an emotional day is completely normal, and for a bitch in heat! :laugh:

I got abused for saving a young border collie pup from the road, I ended up tracking her owners down hours later (country property, dog no id) and as we were on my way to work I had no choice but to take her with me. She proceeded to vomit on me the entire trip - both ways. When they finally showed up to collect her they accused me of stealing her as she wouldn't go on the road (they have stock fences) and said I had ruined her car training :laugh::)

Guess what 5 year old border collie now sits on the side of the road everyday and rushes at cars when the pass? :p Everytime I go past the house I have a winge to my OH, and since it is on our way home it is a daily occurence :laugh:

I'm sorry ... where in my post did I say the dog would be better off dead??? Of course I'm going to save any dog from getting killed on a road if at all possible! My thought about taking it to the pound was to purely demonstrate to the owners that if they stop the dog roaming they wouldn't have to pay money to get it out of the pound. I understand that there is always a chance they wouldn't pay to get the dog back but if that's the case then surely they aren't great owners to have a dog. Also, how is it a better life getting hit by a car than possibly being put to sleep?

Without taking this overly personally I find your comments offensive and over the top. Please do not insinuate that I feel the dog would be better off dead when that was never mentioned or thought in anyway whatsoever. If you'd like to try and make my post into something it is not can I suggest you start your own thread?

I'm glad you were able to re-connect the dog with his owners.

My worst fear is my dog going missing. She is microchipped, tattooed and registered and has a tag with my contact details but still the fear is horrible.

I think if (heaven forbid) she ever did escape, and I found someone had taken her in and called me I would be overwhelmed with thanks and would be making sure to thank the person.

Sorry, I got tired of excuses a long time ago - these owners are not responsible! Bitch who is in season chained in the back yard :laugh::cry::cheer: Yep, that's responsible. A regular escape artist - build a bloody enclosure - they generally manage to keep animals contained in zoos - surely there is an enclosure out there that can do the same for dogs.

Good on you for picking up this dog and reuniting her with her owners - we can but try and their will always be idiots in the world

If someone nearly ran over my dog and called me twice and then took it to work to save me the inconvenience of paying for it out of the pound I would be bending over backwards with apologies and so embaressed to have put someone out.The least he could have said was thankyou.Poor dog.

Totally agree with you - I cannot imagine not being grateful and would offer them something for their time and effort. Also, having a dog running on the road, not only could the dog be hit and possibly killed, but the driver could also have a terrible accident as well. If you have a houdini dog, then you need to go to further steps to ensure it can't escape - a fully enclosed run. Also lots of exercise and stimulation for this dog as well. I'm sure the OP is correct - it is probably pregnant now and they will have the added issue of puppies that may not be wanted and how to find homes for them etc.

OP did the right and responsible thing and the owners really need to look seriously at how they are raising and caring for that dog.

If someone nearly ran over my dog and called me twice and then took it to work to save me the inconvenience of paying for it out of the pound I would be bending over backwards with apologies and so embaressed to have put someone out.The least he could have said was thankyou.Poor dog.

Totally agree with you - I cannot imagine not being grateful and would offer them something for their time and effort. Also, having a dog running on the road, not only could the dog be hit and possibly killed, but the driver could also have a terrible accident as well. If you have a houdini dog, then you need to go to further steps to ensure it can't escape - a fully enclosed run. Also lots of exercise and stimulation for this dog as well. I'm sure the OP is correct - it is probably pregnant now and they will have the added issue of puppies that may not be wanted and how to find homes for them etc.

OP did the right and responsible thing and the owners really need to look seriously at how they are raising and caring for that dog.

Absolutely! If my dog got out I would be hugely grateful to someone who made sure he was safe and contacted me to get him home. And I would do anything I had to do to ensure he had a secure, safe and comfortable environment that he couldn't escape.

If, for some reason, the only possible way I could stop a dog escaping from my house was to chain them up, I personally would be working very hard to find them a more suitable home to live in as quickly as possible.

Not saying I'm perfect, but seriously, people should show some responsibility (to the dog and the community) if they choose to have a dog. Good on you ashaflynn, I'm glad Kelly got to have a fun morning with you :p , instead of a much less pleasant experience :shrug: