New To Photography

kiesha09

I have just been given a super zoom Fujifilm HS10 for my birthday (yes I know VERY spoilt). While this camera isn't a SLR it does share a lot of features that a base model SLR camera has so I am more than happy with it.

But I am very new to photography and I don't really know where the best place is that I can learn or even really where to start. I definately want to utilise this cameras features and not let them be wasted so am keen to learn and know more.

Can you recommend some good books, websites, forums etc that can give me a good grasp of basics? I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with all the features so far!

Depending on where you are in SA there are some fantastic camera clubs to meet fellow photographers (A few of us here go to Adelaide Camera Club in North Adelaide).

WEA also do several courses that vary in expertese and length.

DSLRUsers.com is an Australian Photographic Forum

digital-photography-school.com is another that is on my regularly visited forum list

a-p-s.org.au is the Australian Photographic Society which host events, folios and so on to meet other Australian photographers.

The HS10 is a great camera to start learning on, get out there and take lots of pictures and try lots of different settings :laugh: There is also a wealth of knowledge on DOL in the Photos Photos Photos section which you've already found :laugh:

I have just been given a super zoom Fujifilm HS10 for my birthday (yes I know VERY spoilt). While this camera isn't a SLR it does share a lot of features that a base model SLR camera has so I am more than happy with it.

But I am very new to photography and I don't really know where the best place is that I can learn or even really where to start. I definately want to utilise this cameras features and not let them be wasted so am keen to learn and know more.

Can you recommend some good books, websites, forums etc that can give me a good grasp of basics? I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with all the features so far!

the veryfirst one I would suggest is the manual that came with it. :laugh: congratulations too.

Thanks for all the links everyone :o I have read the manual but I think I'm going to be reading it ALOT more times before I get the hang of things :thumbsup:

The poor dogs are going to run and hide every time I get it out if last night was anything to go by. I think they are over sitting and staying in different spots and poses already :rofl: