Concentrate?shampoo?

Hi All,

Just wanted some advise on this.

Wugs has been washed with Fido's Free Itch Concentrate from day 1 (He turned 1 yesterday :winner: ).I was thinking of changing from Fido's Free Itch Concentrate,to Aloveen Shampoo.Is this advisable,or should i stick to what works?Or is there a better product out there.Being a pug,i am a bit worried about him with any skin problems,none as yet,but the Fido's really does not appeal to us smell wise anymore.

Any suggestions or advise will be great,thanks all.

Just the one Aloveen. It's up to you if you use the conditioner or not. The shampoo is quite conditioning on it's own so I wouldn't use it unless your dog is itchy or a bit of dandruff. Although I like to put a bit through the head to make it smell nice. It's also nice to rub a bit through in between baths as a deodorizer.

I washed my friend tiny little black Pug puppy (about 12wks) in it yesterday, I just wanted to eat him he smelt so good and is, of course, absolutely adorable :winner:

Just the one Aloveen. It's up to you if you use the conditioner or not. The shampoo is quite conditioning on it's own so I wouldn't use it unless your dog is itchy or a bit of dandruff. Although I like to put a bit through the head to make it smell nice. It's also nice to rub a bit through in between baths as a deodorizer.

I washed my friend tiny little black Pug puppy (about 12wks) in it yesterday, I just wanted to eat him he smelt so good and is, of course, absolutely adorable :winner:

Thanks Clyde and Oakway.

Is Aloveen only available at Pet shops,or can you get it at Big W or such places?I have read that there is a Shampoo/Conditioner all in 1 Aloveen,would this be woth trying?

Thanks for the advise,just got back from the pet shop,and they did not even sell Aloveen,so i stuck with the Fido's Free Itch Rinse,and i figure if it works,why change,i can put up with the smell if Wugs can.I think i will try some Aloveen next time though,ill order it online.

The Fido's says "For best results do not rinse",i have always rinsed it off,because so much dirt comes out when i rinse him.should i be using a shampoo first maybe?It also says "alow animal to dry naturally,puppies and kittens should be towell dried".Now it is getting a bit colder here and Wugs has just turned 1,is he still classed as a puppy,i wouldnt feel right not drying him,we sometimes use the hair dryer if its cold enough,am i doing this whole process wrong? :D

hi there,

I use Aloveen on my Aussie Bulldog on a weekly basis. I really like it and makes my girl smell nice! I buy it from my local vet, but you can also try your local produce store as well as online. Have a look around for the best price as you can get some good deals.

All the best

Lis :rofl:

i am also wondering why u are using a flea rinse on ur pug?? is he known to get fleas?? if yes have u tried a spot on instead? i dont like the idea of using a flea rinse for every bath :S i would go online and get the aloveen - i love the smell as well!- and only use the flea rinse if u sight fleas, little Wugs doesnt need the extra chemicals on his skin for no reason :rofl:

Stop using the Fido's it has lots of nasty ingredients, not good for the dogs at all. Aloveen shampoo and conditioner is good, make sure you rinse extreemlt well or otherwise you will cause skin problems. I would recommend using the conditioner every wash and just rinse out lightly, for pugs it's the best way to help with shedding, I would also be teaching him to except the dryer.

Thanks all,

Our breeder told us to use the Fido's free itch,as she uses it on all her pugs.He is just washed in the bath tub,and he doesnt mind the dryer too much.I will check out thwe Aloveen again.Thanks for all the advise.

His coat will feel and smell much nicer if you use a shampoo (good one) instead of a flea rinse.

If he doesn't seem to have a flea problem he won't need the flea rinse.

I have used Aloveen shampoo by it's self and with conditioner on my Dobe. He coat was fine after both ways.

You can also mix about 1/5th Aloveen to 4/5th water in a bottle when you are using it. It makes it go further and is easier to work through the coat, whilst still cleaning them very well and leaving them smelling lovely and soft.

I have used Aloveen for 10+ years. It's a great product.

I also use J&J Baby Shampoo on my show dogs. Makes a nice soft coat on my grizzle Saluki - everyone comments. Apparently the grizzles are known for a hard coat, but my guy's never had one!! (I use the yellow not the pink shamp/conditioner combo - that makes stacks of dandruff!!)

Sonia

• 3 weeks later...
hi there,

I use Aloveen on my Aussie Bulldog on a weekly basis. I really like it and makes my girl smell nice! I buy it from my local vet, but you can also try your local produce store as well as online. Have a look around for the best price as you can get some good deals.

All the best

Lis :laugh:

aloveen is a aid in soothing and cleansing itchy dry skin on cats and dogs. the Shampoo is formulated with extracts of Oatmeal in an Aloe Vera gel base.

i would try to stop washing your dog every week as this strips the dogs of his natural oils in his coat which they need, if you find he has a tendancy of getting an oily coat wash him every few weeks in a shampoo for oily coats then you can just apply the aloveen cond every couple of days if you like the smell.

the aloveen shampoo and cond are a great product on the market, i have noticed though that it builds up a oily layer in the dogs coat if using it nearly week (i work in the grooming area) and doesnt thoroughly cleanse the coat, so i would mix up the shampoo and try something different every now and then noramlly you can find other products on the market that are oatmeal based or aloe based which are very good also and less oily but if you like the smell of the aloveen use the conditioner you can always apply it every couple of days for the smell because the shampoo is strong enough on its own

but normally changing shampoos wont affect your dog depending on what the shampoo contains, al lot of flea /tick shampoos dry out the coat

i have used a mixture of dogs brands on my dogs atm im using TROY oativeen so aloe n oatmeal based leaves them not over powering but clean smell and soft, have used previously fidos white and bright on mostly black dogs found that really good also fidos black shampoo and another black/charcoal shampoo with rotti on the front.

Edited by catherine.b

I love the Plush Puppy Conditioning shampoo, and the Groomers products I've tried have all been fantastic. But they aren't generally available in pet stores, I don't think. Dog shows are the best place to source the higher end grooming products.