Camping With Dogs

Rileys mum

Having just purchased a 4wd I'm keen as mustard to get out and about n explore/camp. I want to have my dog with me and am thinking of bringing him along ( choosing camp sites and areas where dogs are permitted of course). My dog is crate trained and will b crated at night to keep him safe and secure. What things do other people take when camping with their dogs. Some times I'll be in a tent, other times my swag. My dog is like my child so his safety and well being are my priority. I know he will enjoy bring out, I just wanted to hear others experiences of camping with their dogs.

Cheers :-)

We go camping all the time with our dogs and lots of our friends and people in our 4wd club have dogs too. In fact this weekend we are heading off for a few days at the beach.

Hard to give advice as each dog is different ie one of my dogs loving being outside even when the temperature is freezing but the other wants to be in the camper as soon as the sun goes down.

Make sure they have a good tick protection put on them a few days before you go. Also a raised dog bed off the ground is good in case there are green ants, prickles or other nasties arouond.

We have always been able to leave our dogs for short periods ie an hour or so just with a short leash attached to their beds and they just sleep but once again every dog is different and most dogs with probably get upset and bark if in a strange environment. Nothing worse than going camping and have some barking dog give all dog owners a bad name. Its harder and harder to find spots that will accept dogs so make sure you obey all rules and pickup their poo, etc.

Enjoy going away and have a great time.

One of mine ate something questionable while out on a walk. That night I woke to the sound of a ripping tent and the sight of the back half of my mal disappearing through the tent. Turned out he wasn't feeling too good and really needed the loo.

How exciting Riley's Mum!!!

Bails used to love camping along the Murray - he would take himself off for a 3am swim pretty much every morning!!

For such as passive dog around the house, he was completely different when you took him camping.... it's the only time he ever growled/barked!

Hopefully our new pup will love it just as much!!

Happy days!!

Where about's are you?? i know some pretty cool camping places with 4wd tracks

We took Hugo (GSP) on his first camping trip a few months ago, it was awesome. I am not a camping person at all but having him with us made all the difference. At night as we sat around the camp fire he would curl up in his crate and snooze, he was such a good boy. I just took all his toys with us so he had stuff to play with and also bought him a doggie coat as it was very cold at night. We also took a really long tether so that he could wander around the campsite with us but without being able to run off to where sheep were in the paddocks.

I've taken Charlie camping he loves it because he loves exploring.

We packed LOTS of towels, his camping crate with some toys, made sure his vacs were all up to date, extra blankets and his own water bowl. Charlie sleeps with us on the air mattress. Also a long rope because we tied him (when he wasn't crated).

One of mine ate something questionable while out on a walk. That night I woke to the sound of a ripping tent and the sight of the back half of my mal disappearing through the tent. Turned out he wasn't feeling too good and really needed the loo.

Oh dear!

We took Riley camping once for a week. He was really good - the only problem we had was the cane toads! We were camping at Ballina and forgot about them as we don't have them down our way (yet!). We found Riley investigating something when he went out for a wee then saw toads everywhere!

We made sure his tick protection was up to date, took toys, plenty of old towels for when we went to he beach and he got wet, bowls, spare collar and leash, bed, and poo bags!

I took my border collie with me when I went camping on the Murray, just me and my dog, bliss! We used to go for a walk every morning but in the afternoon she wouldn't leave the camp lol, she would sit at the caravan as if to say "you're crazy". Never had a problem with her, she doesn't chase sheep because they terrify her ;) . Only problem I had was when a guy drove into camp after dark one night and she greeted him like a long lost friend,,, there went the thought of her being my watch dog :rofl:

We take the crate and a pen, a cover for the crate, his bed, and lots of treat toys and meaty bones - everlasting treat ball, maze ball, roo tails etc. It's the same set up he has in the living room at home and gets set up under a big tarp. He doesn't fret if we leave him at the camp site for short periods.

Oooo how exciting! I'm looking forward to when we can get a 4WD.

We camp a lot with our dogs. Actually I think there has only been one occasion we didn't camp with them.

We take [just for the dogs]:

-dog beds

-leads, collars, harnesses, spare leads and collars

-rego and IDs on each of the collars and harnesses

-plenty of water [i pack 2L per camper [dog or human] per day] and a couple of water bowls

-first aid kit

-lots of towels or old blankets

-treats

-toys

-poo bags

Ours sleep in the tent with us, which they love! We generally let the dogs off leash around the campsite if no one else nearby, they stay within 10m of the tent and normally just snooze in the sun.

There are some great places in SA to camp with dogs. We've stayed at some really nice places.

Southend Caravan Park [beach camping grounds] is dog friendly all year round and is just past Beachport on the Limestone Coast. $6 per person per night for a unpowered site. There are toilets in the camp grounds and and there are showers back at the caravan park.

P1020055copy.jpg

Loveday 4X4 Adventure Park is on the Murray River, and has awesome camp grounds there which are 2wd access too. They also have 4X4 tracks which you can use too. It is $60 per vehicle for the 1st night camping, and $10 every night after. You can have fires if it isn't fire ban and you bring your own wood. It's the kind of place you want to go for a few days with some mates, as camping by yourself for 1 night is fairly expensive. There are toilets and showers up at the Tavern. Make sure if you go, that you take cash as there are no eftpos facilities and it is a fair drive into the park

Lovedaysmall.jpg

Chowilla Game Reserve is above Renmark [other side of the river]. Its a fair trek along dirt roads, but there are some lovely camp sites in there both directly on the river Murray and on full tributaries to the Murray. Also dog friendly. We couldn't find any details of costs for camping. There are no facilities at all.

P1060034copysmall.jpg

If you are thinking of going interstate, we found some pretty nice campsites near the river Murray in VIC too.

Murray Kulkyne allows dogs in it. Just don't get confused with the Hattah-Kulkyne which borders it, which is National Park. Most of the places along the river in the park is dog friendly, just check your map that you get when entering the park. We camped at a really nice spot in there called Retail Bend but we passed many other really nice places to camp. It is accessible in dry weather only and most sites can be accessed in a 2wd even though the signs say 4wd only. Camping was free, except in the two locations with facilities [which are not dog friendly areas].

P1020697copy.jpg

Greenlake, which is near the town of Sealake does camping for $6 a night and is dog friendly. Its a lake surrounded by bushland and is really quite pretty. We camped on the shore of the lake. You can have campfires there and collect your own firewood. The bakery at Sealake does the BEST burgers!

P1020576copy.jpg

Edited by Ravyk

I am hyperventilating even responding to this thread!

Our 3 dogs are very social so we (stupidly) decided last year to go to a doggy camping event with them. It was a freaking nightmare! The youngest dog was just in a panic the whole 3 days and had to be leashed on a run. She'd go crazy and wrap herself around poles and camping gear and everything would just topple over. The middle dog kept doing runners. The oldest dog is mostly blind so would just follow one of the others or be getting in the way. The only peace we had for 3 days was when we were all in the tent at night. I was so stressed out - I really expected our dogs to have a bit of a play with the other dogs there, to engage in the organised activities but also happy to be with us swimming, exploring and lounging around. Nope. We had the crazy dogs who kept running into other people's camp areas, running up into the mountains in the heat, raiding bins and fighting with each other. Everyone else's dogs seemed like they were on valium compared to ours and few other dogs were even tethered or leashed. We so didn't expect things to go that bad as we also love camping and put a lot of effort into creating a dog friendly set up. I'm still embarrassed thinking about it all.

And even worse, the youngest one still gets into a panic now at large dog events like millopn paws walk and bark in the park. It is like she has lost her confidence in doggy groups. I suspect she'd run screaming if she saw me pull the tent out as well!

Ours come camping and 4wd with us whenever we can. What you have to obviously check is where dogs are allowed and not. When we were touring last year, there were some parts where we passed on dirt roads through National Park. Dogs were not allowed past a certain place. So make sure you check with the local rangers to see what their rules are.

I always pack "Gastro Stop" when I travel. Just incase they eat something or suffer gastro worries.

Take your own water. Even if you use town water, I have found sometimes they can get gastro problems from local water.

Keep your food as normal as possible too. Same reasons.

I don't take a bed. More to carry. Although you can get canvas beds that fold up similar to chairs in a bag. There is always a ground mat infront of the tent, so that is where they sleep unless they choose to go elsewhere.

The usual bowls, leads, tie out wires (as applicable), poo bags.

Get yourself a good harness to strap your dog in. Tracks are bumpy and unpredictable. So for me, it is more important to make sure the dog is strapped in. For your safety and the dogs.

I am hyperventilating even responding to this thread!

Our 3 dogs are very social so we (stupidly) decided last year to go to a doggy camping event with them. It was a freaking nightmare! The youngest dog was just in a panic the whole 3 days and had to be leashed on a run. She'd go crazy and wrap herself around poles and camping gear and everything would just topple over. The middle dog kept doing runners. The oldest dog is mostly blind so would just follow one of the others or be getting in the way. The only peace we had for 3 days was when we were all in the tent at night. I was so stressed out - I really expected our dogs to have a bit of a play with the other dogs there, to engage in the organised activities but also happy to be with us swimming, exploring and lounging around. Nope. We had the crazy dogs who kept running into other people's camp areas, running up into the mountains in the heat, raiding bins and fighting with each other. Everyone else's dogs seemed like they were on valium compared to ours and few other dogs were even tethered or leashed. We so didn't expect things to go that bad as we also love camping and put a lot of effort into creating a dog friendly set up. I'm still embarrassed thinking about it all.

And even worse, the youngest one still gets into a panic now at large dog events like millopn paws walk and bark in the park. It is like she has lost her confidence in doggy groups. I suspect she'd run screaming if she saw me pull the tent out as well!

There are a lot of people who go camping with their dogs successfully. I have been camping with other people who have had no control of their dogs and it is not good experience for all. To go camping or anywhere with your dog, you have to know your animal and have control over the animal(s).

I toured last year with four dogs (2 adults and two puppies) for two weeks, camping and towing a dog trailer. We could camp in caravan parks and no one knew we had dogs. There were people in one caravan park who had two small yappy things and they made more noise and annoyance than four border collies.

It is sad that your camping trip did not work out. And sadder still your youngest one has been emotionally damaged from the experience.

Wow thanks everyone. You have all gotten me motivated now :laugh: thanks for the tips on things to pack. My boy is only 7 months old ATM so will pretty much go everywhere I go if I take him. I will go buy a tether wire so I can secure him but still allow him to have room to do his own thing. Good idea about bringing water from home too. Will do that :dummy:

Ravyk thanks for the list of places :eek: will definately check them out. I went down the limestone coast this time last year and LOVED it ( found some great camp spots too.... Must check if they are dog friendly)

Thanks again everyone :o

Camping with dogs is great and I would love to do it more as well. One thing that I have heard of and observed is the risk of poisining. Most people take a soft muzzle so that their dog cannot ingest anything dangerouse, cooked discarded bones baits as there are a lot of 1080 foxbaiting and other nasties about. So when camping and not supervised closely I would apply a soft muzzle to protect your dog making himself sick or worse.

Lots of great bush campsites along the Murrumbidgee

Wow thanks everyone. You have all gotten me motivated now :( thanks for the tips on things to pack. My boy is only 7 months old ATM so will pretty much go everywhere I go if I take him. I will go buy a tether wire so I can secure him but still allow him to have room to do his own thing. Good idea about bringing water from home too. Will do that :)

Ravyk thanks for the list of places :) will definately check them out. I went down the limestone coast this time last year and LOVED it ( found some great camp spots too.... Must check if they are dog friendly)

Thanks again everyone :p

Also look at some of your local obedience clubs - they sell tie out stakes. THey are like a picket driver and stake built into one.

Don't bother with those corkscew type ones. Waste of money unless you are in sand. My tie out wire is about 3 metres long and I just attach it to one of those stakes somewhere where he will not get in the way. Or I tie him to the front recovery points of the forby - and attach the keys to the bullbar so I cannot drive off with the dog attached. (Don't laugh - I have seen it done).

We have two forbies in this family - a 60 series Landcruiser and a 2001 hilux. We use one of those Ezi Dog harness and tie the dog down with that while 4wding. IT has been been a saver at times when on steep hills or off camber hills.