Poodles' Coat Poor On Nutro

It is funny how different dogs react to foods. Every time I go off Pro Plan the dogs coats just don't look as good. Still good but without that mirror shine they have on Pro Plan. The other foods have been EP & Nutro mainly.

Just so you know as to the ingrediant list for Royal Canin, they weigh their meat content for the list once dehydrated so it isn't always the highest in the list - not all companies do that...many weight their meat content in 'fresh' so still high in water. Wasn't sure if it was the position in the list that was the issue or that there is maize in it :)

Just so you know as to the ingrediant list for Royal Canin, they weigh their meat content for the list once dehydrated so it isn't always the highest in the list - not all companies do that...many weight their meat content in 'fresh' so still high in water. Wasn't sure if it was the position in the list that was the issue or that there is maize in it :hug:

Asking the question is dehydrated meat better or the other( fresh) in super premium foods as i'm undecided about the RC breed specific food. :)

Edited by wiggum

If you can feed raw it can be a good way to go as long as the dog is getting the calcium etc balanced as well...eg meat on the bone as opposed to just meat/mince.

In kibble, the meat listed in the ingredient content is better if dehydrated then fresh etc as it gives a better indication as to it's true placement on the list, as otherwise you are including the water in the meat which of course bumps up it's weight and place in the list.

I've only actually used the RC GSD in the breed specific range (have used a few different ones in their normal range) and found it very good, and it's wheat free which is a bonus. The Lab food is low GI, with big kibble so the sods have to chew it more rather then just hoover it etc. The Boxer ones also has a groovy shape which is great for them beign able to grab it with their jaw shape etc. The breed specific ranges are made so the adult dog can eat it into their dotage without having to go to a senior range. I believe the Poodle food is supposed to be helfpul for the poodles coat, eye sight and longevity or some such.

I can't do barf because their guts are sensitive and don't tolerate it.

PP, Have you tried a species appropriate prey-model diet?

BARF (the commercial stuff) contains veg and that could be what they don't tolerate about it.

It sometimes takes a few weeks for tummys to settle after you change from kibble to raw. You really need to give it at least a month or even 2 before you sya they can't tolerate it.

Have a read of http://www.rawlearning.com/

Sonia

What variety of Nutro were you feeding?

They were on the lamb and rice variety.

Just so you know as to the ingrediant list for Royal Canin, they weigh their meat content for the list once dehydrated so it isn't always the highest in the list - not all companies do that...many weight their meat content in 'fresh' so still high in water. Wasn't sure if it was the position in the list that was the issue or that there is maize in it :love:

That's good to know about the dehydrated meat, I didn't know that but it makes sense. But it was more the maize in it that concerned me.

Had a :thumbsup: moment.

The issue might not be food related. Brittle coat and thinning hair can be a symptom of thyroid issues. If it persists, get a blood panel done.

Thanks poodlefan. I hadn't thought specifically a thyroid issue but had wondered if something else was going on. I'll give the new food a couple of months and then yes we will be at the vets. He had bloods done about 2 years ago and everything was fine but things can change (though I hope not).

PP, Have you tried a species appropriate prey-model diet?

BARF (the commercial stuff) contains veg and that could be what they don't tolerate about it.

It sometimes takes a few weeks for tummys to settle after you change from kibble to raw. You really need to give it at least a month or even 2 before you sya they can't tolerate it.

Have a read of http://www.rawlearning.com/

Sonia

Thanks Sonia, I will have a read. I confess I havent explored or persisted too much with raw. I'm open to a raw diet but it just seems that any time Osca gets an upset stomach (which in the past has been often) it's always after a RMB. The vet has reccomended sticking to dry food. At the moment I will but I may re-evaluate if I don't see improvement.

Hi PoodleProud, my brown standard who had food allrgies ate Proplan sensitive skin and stomach for several years - I changed her from the Eukanuba prescription diet as the Proplan was easier to source (and cheaper). If she ever snaffled any of the other dogs Proplan chicken or lamb based biscuits it went straight through her.

I am going to change my new puppy over to Proplan Puppy as it is now made in Australia and the rep said all will eventually be made here. Their website would probably have info.

Edited by frufru

Thanks Sonia, I will have a read. I confess I havent explored or persisted too much with raw. I'm open to a raw diet but it just seems that any time Osca gets an upset stomach (which in the past has been often) it's always after a RMB. The vet has reccomended sticking to dry food. At the moment I will but I may re-evaluate if I don't see improvement.

It's often the case that a kibble fed dog *will* have tummy upsets after a meal (or 10!) of raw. To switch over (esp. with tummy upsets) you need to persist with 1 type of meat for several weeks, then expand the variety. Generally, boneless chicken is a good way to begin, adding in soft bones like bone in breasts gradually. Then you can add thigh/leg combos and eventually add in red meats and liver/offal.

Have a look specifically at this section of the rawlearning website: http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Specifically this section on GRAINS:

"Dogs do not have the digestive system to cope with grains. Most commercial dog foods contain more than 50% grains (yes, this includes all those fancy expensive ones too! ) Grains are one of the biggest sources of allergies in dogs.

My dogs have a diet that is high in protein, and low in carbohydrates - like nature intended."

Poor coat can often be an "allergy thing" - and he may be allergic to one or more of the grains in the food you're feeding him.

It sometimes takes several weeks to settle a delicate tummy into raw feeding, but remember that during this time your dog is purging the bad kibble stuff as well as adjusting to a new diet.

My girl Sally used to have terrible tummy upsets and vomiting :rofl: (and the itchies and the bad ears & eyes) - raw fixed it. Permanently! She's heading for 17 now :laugh: and has been on raw for 15+ years. I HIGHLY recommend you try it.

ETA: Didn't your original post say you've had Osca on Nutro for 1 year+ ? Maybe it's time to evaluate right now. 1 year is a looong time for a dog to be miserable/be in poor condition/have allergies/be "not right". ;)

Also, you might consider reviewing Osca's vaccination status - maybe there's an issue with vaccinosis?

Sonia

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds

Hi PoodleProud, my brown standard who had food allrgies ate Proplan sensitive skin and stomach for several years - I changed her from the Eukanuba prescription diet as the Proplan was easier to source (and cheaper). If she ever snaffled any of the other dogs Proplan chicken or lamb based biscuits it went straight through her.

Thanks Fru Fru. I have my fingers crossed I'll see some results. Time will tell. Hope your new pup does ok on it. Sigh.... Oh for a brown poo to add to my collection lol. :)

ETA: Didn't your original post say you've had Osca on Nutro for 1 year+ ? Maybe it's time to evaluate right now. 1 year is a looong time for a dog to be miserable/be in poor condition/have allergies/be "not right". :laugh:

I apologise, perhaps I wasn't clear. They have been on nutro for about 1 year. I have gradually noticed coat changes over probably the last 6-9 months but they werent drastic. It was really the last two grooming visits that showed the coat to be becoming brittle and more sparse. He has been well in this time in himself but I had wondered if perhaps it wasnt the food that was causing the coat to be poor, that is I don't have the confidence to put it down to the food just yet. Hence why I am trialling a different food first.

He has also had 3 seizures in the past 2 years which we think was related to a flea/tick treatment but the vet couldn't conclusively rule out epilepsy. These things couple with his upset tummies I admit makes me reluctant to try raw feeding. I worry about the bacteria and his ability to cope with raw.

I'm not ruling it out and will do some more reading. It's very encouraging to hear the successes your dog has had with raw. I'd like to see improvement in their overall health and get rid of their itchies. If I don't see a substantaial improvement in them soon I will give RAW a proper trial :laugh:

Thanks very much for the websites. :)