What Do You Use To Bag Meat?

Ravyk

Guest belgian.blue

Zip lock bags here too, though only for Ivys lamb meat as I buy Badgers chicken mince already frozen in 1kg lots.

The lamb will sometimes leak but doesn't bother me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just use cheapie freezer bags even for the carcass pieces. I defrost about 3 kg's a day so i have a large plastic container and it sits on the bottom shelf of the fridge. Yes there is a lot of leakage from defrosting, but i let the dogs lap up the blood out of the container each day after their dinner. We call it their 'red cordial'

I like the home vaccuum pack thingy like this

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=54366

We used it to store left over christmas ham in freezer. The plastic is stronger than normal freezer bags, much less likely to tear or puncture. I tried using freezer bags for my dog casserole but had massive problems, it rips too easily and then gets stuck inside the food so you can't get the food separate to the plastic until it's thawed.

I use those little plastic takeway type containers for the casserole now. I use the size that fits one serving. And I can re use those much more often than plastic bags - which makes me feel warm and green inside. And they don't block up the freezer circulation fan. If you get the rectangular ones, you can actually stack more stuff than you can with plastic bags. If you can afford it - get the tupperware, and feel really green as that stuff has a life time guarantee - ie if it breaks - you get a replacement one free of charge in exchange for the broken bit.

We hate bags and pack it in large plastic containers that last us a few days. The chicken wings go in bags because we don't have enough containers, and they always leak. We have a very large plastic container that all the dog meat goes in. It's much easier to clean that than the fridge.

ice cream containers - of course it does mean that every now and then I have to buy 2 or 4 ltr ice cream tubs, much to the dogs consternation and out of consideration for their health I eat it or better still make iced coffees but these are just some of the hardships we dog people put ourselves through for our dogs :laugh::love:

annie

Oh you are a saint to do that for your dogs! :laugh:

I also just use cheap freezer bags - don't even bother with zip lock bags.

When defrosting they go in a bowl with a paper towel underneath to soak up any leakage. However I do try and put the bag opening side up so any blood or liquid stays in the bag rather than seeping out.

Just use a container with a lid for defrosting.

We just use freezer bags. I put a week of doggy dinners in freezer bags inside each plastic shopping bag and in the freezer.

Then defrost individually in a plastic container in the fridge. I don't bother with putting the top on it, but I could if my DH was being a princess about he blood leaking out into the container. Thankfully, has has not thought about that one. :happydance2:

Unfortunately can't solve the problem of the blood leaking we also just put in a bowl that has been designated the dog defrosting bowl. I try and recycle stuff so I don't have to throw out too much plastic so we use plastic bags if we ever get them from the shops, bags from bread, take-away containers and yoghurt containers. The yoghurt containers probably would hold the most, are the easiest to stack and they keep the blood in once defrosted.

We have wondered about this dilemma too!! I use two chinese containers to hold 4 mince thawing bags at a time in the fridge (fOr Shy and also the 3 cats) but they leak out the bottom of the ziplock bags, ewww blood.

Are 'freezer bags' non leaking cos they are meant for the freezer?