Which Slr Should I Buy?

Tibbiemax71

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info guys :rofl:

I went to the Camera House today, (thanks Dodo, I forgot about them!) they are the same price as Harveys, he also told me about the Canon 500d, he said it has a better picture quality than the 550d even though its 15 mp, the 550d is 18 mp. I will check out JB and Wow, I didn't think of them! Harveys is appealing as it has 48 months interest free at the moment, but I don't trust them!

Pawprints, that is a huge difference in price!!

Firestone, I got your message, thanks heaps for that!! I will check out your pics on Facebook in a moment.

Helen, thanks for that, I think the guy showed me one of those today.

Kirislin, I haven't really looked online, i will do that to.

Guest Tess32

I bought my 50D from Harvey N....they pricematched AND dropped a bit off price so they aren't always bad.

I bought my 50D from Harvey N....they pricematched AND dropped a bit off price so they aren't always bad.

Thanks Tess, I rang all the other places where they sell cameras in my area, JB Hi Fi had is for $1590 but have none left, all the other places that had it in stock where the same price as HN, so looks like I might get it from there.

HN will price match a lot of places, but are best for just getting hands on :(

I am a nikon person and would recommend the D90 or D300s for pets and kids as they are much faster with their AF than the D3000 / D5000 consumer bodies.

The lenses will also make a huge difference in AF speed.

Take a look at these two... then buy online from DWI and get MACK warranty and save yourself a fortune. You get all the Warranty cover at a fraction of the cost! (Whatever people in shops tell you, they are just telling you for sales!).

Again as others have said, it is about the feel in your hands, the ability to change the settings that you will use regularly and avoid the gimics.

Good luck :(

OK guys, I am nearly there on buying a camera :laugh: Today I looked at the Canon 50D and the Nikon D90, they told me that both of these cameras are pretty similar, I liked the feel of both of these cameras compared to the Canon 550D they felt better in my hands. Now the Nikon is $400 cheaper than the Canon but the thing that is swaying me more I think is the fact that it has live view while the Canon doesn't, I don't know if this would annoy me with the Canon but I think it would, I have small dogs that I show and I don't want to have to lay on the ground on my belly to get pics of them, which I would have to do if I had to use the eye piece. SchnauzerBoy I see you recommend the Nikon D90 so that's good, what does everyone else think? Also I like the fact both cameras have the 6.4 fps continuous shoot thingy.

I don't even know how to turn my liveview on LOL I've used it exactly once when I had to do an aerial shoot with my camera hanging out the door of an airplane.

But, you need to go to a different store because I'm pretty danged sure the 550D DOES have live view. If the guy is telling you it doesn't, there is no way I'd be dropping cash with them.

Edited by kja

I just got a 450D from JB. Push them a little and they will drop their price a fair bit - we price matched an internet price. Harvey Norman didnt want to know us unless we were paying full price - we walked out!

I would have loved the 550D but it was a tad more than I was wanting to spend (nearly $500). We got the 450D twin IS lenses for $1075 with a 4 Gig SD card and a backpack (retail price $125) last Saturday.

I really hate playing the price game, luckily OH doesnt mind it!

Sorry kja, its the 50D that they told me doesn't have the live view, I was really tired when I posted last night :laugh:

Tess32, you have the 50D and it has live view, does the live view only work on Manual focus and not auto though??

I just got a 450D from JB. Push them a little and they will drop their price a fair bit - we price matched an internet price. Harvey Norman didnt want to know us unless we were paying full price - we walked out!

I would have loved the 550D but it was a tad more than I was wanting to spend (nearly $500). We got the 450D twin IS lenses for $1075 with a 4 Gig SD card and a backpack (retail price $125) last Saturday.

I really hate playing the price game, luckily OH doesnt mind it!

Congrats on your new camera Carey!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a nice way to get started, bb :eek:

Eventually you *may* find that the lenses limit you but I still think the dual kit lenses are a very good way to get into things and start learning what you like and want from a system.

If your budget will allow, add the Canon 50 1.8 - it's cheap as chips and an excellent introduction to low light, fast glass shooting.

Guest belgian.blue

Going to head into some camera shops today during lunch and see what prices I can get a twin pack for.

I've jotted down the 50 1.8 lens :eek:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know of any good photography books? That explain manual shooting in clear first time user detail? I've been doing well with the Pentax [but just overly happy with the outcome and] so I'm very excited about getting a Canon :eek:

Also going to sign up for a course in the near future.