Prong Collars

G'day, Eddy here.

Maybe the media release below occured due to a significant numbers of Prong Collars being seized by Customs in the past year. This media release has appeared in a number of newspapers around Australia, and the below from the Customs website from this address:-

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=5115

customs media release

Customs seizes cruel dog collars - Tuesday, 18th January 2005

Customs officers have intercepted in the mail two packages of potentially harmful dog collars destined for addresses in South Australia.

In both instances, the dog collars, incorporating protrusions designed to puncture or bruise an animal's skin, had been ordered from the United States.

One consignment of six collars was being sent to an address at Golden Grove while the second consignment, containing one collar, was being sent to Burton. In each case, the packages were described as containing metal or steel links.

These dog collars are prohibited imports under Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations. They have been seized and will be destroyed.

Customs Acting Regional Director SA John Eldridge said this type of importation was prohibited because of the harm that they could cause to dogs and other animals.

"Using these dog collars is a cruel and barbaric practice and Customs works to prevent them from coming into Australia," he said.

In the last 12 months across Australia, Customs has seized significant numbers of prohibited dog collars, most of them detected in the international mail.

Media inquiries:

Corporate Communication 02 6275 6793

Images of the dog collars are available from the image gallery

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4556

Here is a photo of one from the Customs website:-

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In both instances, the dog collars, incorporating protrusions designed to puncture or bruise an animal's skin, had been ordered from the United States.

This is just another example of uneducated media.....the prongs do not bruise, nor pucture and are not designed to do so.

But...it makes great news for the uneducated and bleeding hearts that are out there....those are the ones that also brought in the tail docking legislation I think...right?

Oh dear here we go again.........watch out everybody ......

no one will ever agree on this topic..from the extremes on both sides of the fence.

Wonder how long before this thread deteriorates to a slanging match..watch for it Mods.

Dianne

No slinging match...just the facts really....doesn't matter if I agree with their use or not....they are not designed to do what the Customs folks claim they are. Funny how no one talks about the neck injuries on dogs using head halters?

oops...that would be another thread!

hehehe

I have seen the use of a prong collar and electric fence containment work.

a rescue escape artist was impossible to contain safely. I desperation we enquired about the electric containment system. The seller who also does dog training..said that he would come and spend time teaching us how to successfully implement the system.

1. The dog would strain frantically on leash...The prong collar was used to retrain her . I had been very wary of these and in fact thought them cruel and horrible torture devices and was amazed to see how gentle the corrections actually were..we also had them fitted to our necks ( the prong collar, so we could expereince the type of pressure ...

2. once she was walking and esponsive on lead ( like in about 10 mins of gentle walking) we started teaching about the fence boundary. Approaching the boundary with collar on but no impulse. as she got to boundary ( well marked with bright orange tape) she was called back and asked to sit. THen impulse ( a buzz) was added and so on......

3. The owner worked with her morning and evening for two weeks..

4) The result a very relaxed and happy lass who no longer had the need to guard the entier region. she has put on a little weight which she needed and is well adjusted and safe.

Yeah,(nods head in agreement) looks are quite decieving to an untrained eye,used correctly(how there supposed to be used)they are brilliant for retraining. very gentle and fast.. :mad i did'nt think they were 'illigal' to be used in Aus,maby its just the importing thing :mad..

Edited by Sirmonsta

Misinformation and ignorance is what the problem is.

Prong Collars, Training collars, tail docking you name it, the folks who know and understand, and who have the experience, seem to be continually overshadowed by those who think they know and yet really have no knowledge.

This thread will go the way of the others.......

It is ironic that you cant import but if you happend to have oe you can use it.

From what I hear prongs were sold in shops years and years ago, so people still have them, plus of course those that wee smuggled it.

The whole Europe (well you know what I mean) walks their dogs on prongs.

I also have one and use it from time to time, I did put it on my neck and pulled the leash hard, somehow I didnt get the injuries the anti prong peole talk about.

I also have a half prong where the spikes are close to each other as are very short, almost invisible. I took this once to obiedience club and was basically thrown out with screems that noone should be using a barb wire on their dogs. When I offered a printed article to read I was laughed about and bits of paper were thrown out without being looked at.

Ignorance and closed mind - thats all I can say.

I wrote to a guy a few years ago who offered training advice for Malamutes. I was very interested. The guy said he was happy to give me all the info I wanted but first I should buy the prong collar.

They are banned in Australia and if found will be seized by customs cos I made enquiries. I didn't purchase the collar.

I have asked around about prongs and peoples ideas are different, some people I have the greatest respect for advocate their use. I also know some others who I equally respect who hate them.

They are not available here, so really there isn't an issue.

Well unless we get into illegal importing :mad

Edited by Rusky

Persephone You hit the nail on the head with that. Media and RSPCA beat up.

If we are going to listen to them on this maybe they were right about "PitBulls" after all :mad :D

Oh as far as I know their use is banned in Victoria nut not NSW I am not sure about any other states.

Jadey :mad

It is interesting actually because i know of at least 2 police dogs that prong collars are used on. I was actually looking for one as i thought it would be interesting for my older dog so my Mum could walk him without an issue, while i walk the pup...but the place i was going to get it from closed before their shipment arrived.

Also as to the containment collars? i use one on my older dog...best thing since sliced bread as far as i am concerned...doesn't hurt him, infact i think i have gotten more zaps from it then he has, and it didn't hurt me anyway. *twitch twitch* lol. But before it he could get out of anywhere...for no particular reason then that he could do so, now he doesn't even bother trying to get out which means he is safe yet has the whole yard to play in and to me that is what matters.

The use of these collars aren't banned here are they? Is it just the importation?

G'day, Eddy here.

I'm just a messenger, and I feel the debate will continue for many years yet just as it has for many previous years. It's best to check in touch on what currently applies to your state in relation to Prong Collars, and the below is what applies to my state Victoria on the use of Prong Collars and the below from this address:-

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/con...997469/s7d.html

Victorian Consolidated Regulations

PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS REGULATIONS 1997

7D. Use of pronged collars prohibited

A person must not use a pronged collar on any animal.

Penalty: 5 penalty units

And here I was thinking it was some kind of horror thing......... when it was just a normal prong collar.

Morons who shouldn't be in power to makes rules about things they nothing of.

Puncture and bruise............ pffffffftttttt.

Bloody idiots.

Well I had never seen one or heard of one before but just by looking at the photograph I can't see how it would PUNCTURE with blunt ends!

Apart from what Customs said why is it considered barberic to use one? Have they caused wounds in the past?

Urban legend has it that certain types would either sharpen the ends, or make their own to use on their dogs. Which of course is cruel and barbaric, because there is no need to mess with the collar, it works just fine in it's original state.

Banning them does nothing except forcing ppl to go blackmarket, or make their own.

Mel.

I have previously used a pronged collar on one of my girls who has unfortionatly passed away and it was fantastic, I would never of used if I thought it would of hurt her.

In the wrong hands could be awfully cruel !

I have heard of people sharpening the prongs and all sorts of aweful stuff.

Its just idiots that give these things a bad name. :)