Prong Collars

I have seen some horrendous assaults made on dogs with plain old correction collars at the local dog obedience club by people who should have known better, ie. instructors.

Any equipment in the wrong hands is open to abuse.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Black Lab....hehe you did make me laugh :) and if you are about...get yourself on im! lol.

As to the prong collars...well...i'd like to get my hands on one personally, only prob is the price seems to vary from $10 to $50 for the same darn thing.

Any equipment in the wrong hands is open to abuse.

That is SO right!!!!

The solid plastic "prong" type collar seems to be what people are using more around here lately....looks less "nasty" to Joe Public...and VERY blunt points....anyone would be hard pressed to cause damage to the skin with this one....

If anyone wants a prong collar, I think that K9Force is the place to get one. They only sell the genuine Herm Sprenger articles, for $55.

And might I add, they are top quality too... never have I found such a useful item of training equipment, Chelsea come running over to me, tail wagging the moment I pick it up (so it can't be causing her pain!)

Don't know if they are/are not legal in WA... no one has ever stopped me in the street about Chelseas' anyway :)

Thanks ChelseasMum, i did check out the site and that's where i saw K9Force has the smaller ones with the plastic stuff over the prongs, i think that would suit my friends dog better then the other types.

Angelsun...so..have you a pic of these plastic pinch collars perhaps? can they be shipped OS do you think?

I've put a prong collar both around my wrist, and around my own neck and popped it several times.

I've done this before as well.... tried it around my upper thigh and no bruising whatsoever and definately no puntures!

Good Dog Collars

I think these are the collars Angelsun in referring to???

If you are getting a prong make sure it is Herm Sprenger or Bosch

Also make sure the spikes are rounded off not just cut straight.

Anything that is $10 certainly will not be any of the abovementioned brands. It will most likely rust and spikes will not be rounded.

spikes that are not rounded off are not such a big deal when it comes to a dog with a lot of fur, but I would not put one on a dobe/boxer etc.

Hmm...but those collar's don't look like prong collars...and not much of it would come up under x-ray...might be interesting...

Anne...if possible, and if you don't mind, would you be able to pm me the name of the company in Brisbane that you got your prong collar from?