Prong Collars

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read everything you have written.

It doesn't matter what you say or I say or anyone says now cos they are banned.

They don't have a place because they are banned.

K9 ring the RSPCA I did to clarify.

I spoke to the Perth crew, a guy called Tony.

He went and researched and called me back.

He said

They are a banned import

They are banned from sale or use

That each state has it's own regulations but these he gave me are Australia wide.

That if it is reported that prong collars are being used they can be prosecuted but that they would probably just have a chat first.

I do have an inquiring mind I need facts too.

I needed to know they were banned from use as in my original post I said they were after I considered importing one a few years ago. I thought I may have got it wrong.

I didn't

they are still banned.

So K9 you need to find an alternative 'tool' unless you have already made enquiries and it is ok to use.

Rusky:

I have read everything you have written.

K9: ever? wow.

Rusky:

It doesn't matter what you say or I say or anyone says now cos they are banned.

K9: except you cant prove it, right?

They don't have a place because they are banned.

K9 ring the RSPCA I did to clarify.

K9: have before & have again, they are not banned for use in NSW.

Rusky:

I spoke to the Perth crew

K9: is this on a ship or? (crew?) please explain.

Rusky:

a guy called Tony.

K9: ahh, thats narrows it down.

Rusky:

He said

They are a banned import

K9: in small print WITHOUT A PERMIT!

They are banned from sale or use

K9: In victoria.

That each state has it's own regulations but these he gave me are Australia wide.

K9: if each state has its own regs, how is there one that is Aust wide? :rolleyes:

That if it is reported that prong collars are being used they can be prosecuted but that they would probably just have a chat first.

K9: you can be charged with cruelty if you use one & are being cruel, the same can be said for using a piece of timber.

I do have an inquiring mind I need facts too.

K9: I dont blame you, you just havent got any (facts).

If you go & look on the customs web oage, you will see that they can be imported with a permit, dont take my word for it, go look.

Look at the Prevention of cruelty acts in NSW, no mention of prongs, it is however in the Victorian act, look in the other acts, its not there either....

Facts are facts, not hearsay...

Rusky:

So K9 you need to find an alternative 'tool' unless you have already made enquiries and it is ok to use.

K9: of course I have, & as I said, they are....

I would not take the word of anyone, I will need to see something on an official document before I believe what is said these days, peoples political opinion often clouds the truth....

K9: I would also like to add this, if I lived in Victoria where prong collars have been banned, I would be actively fighting this ruling, as it is based on zero facts & 100% ignorance.

I would still use a prong collar there if I felt that it would help my dog & nothing else would.

If you are out there to help your dog, politics shouldnt play a part in it.

Victorian Canine Association - Regulations

3.5.2 Dog Collars

The use of dog collars incorporating protrusions designed to puncture or bruise the dog’s skin is prohibited.

I'll say this again.

Prong collars are NOT designed to puncture or bruise the dogs skin so they therefore can be excluded from this regulation. The spikes are designed in a way so that they DONT puncture or bruise the skin.

Of course someone could proove me wrong and bruise dogs neck with one, but the same could be done with a check chain, of if tried hard enough with a thin leather collar.

It is only limited by how one would use it.

K9

I have no idea why you decide to attack me or to be rude.

I have not been rude to you or to anyone else

I have read all that has been said on this thread, not all you have said and well you know it.

Politics do not play a part K9, the law does.

I have no idea why these collars were banned, you are all citing ignorance, however I see a few people have said things like

'sharpening the prongs'

maybe part of the reasonings behind the ban.

Anyway do as you like if you feel the need to use a prong collar, can get your hands on one and feel it is the only way you can prevent your dog from pulling remember that Mr & Mrs average are likely to report you, well excepting K9 who has a permit.

Go for it break the speed limit is up to you. I simply called RSPCA to get the facts, and I did.

According to the RSPCA the 'invisable fence' that i have to keep my dog in my yard, with it's (as i call it) zappy collar, is inhumane and should be banned and is apaprently banned from being imported unless you have the required licence. Now my older dog loves to go for wanders, he is desexed and is not bored, he just does it because he can. I fixed the fences, i put up extra fencing, i tried training, i tried repellants, he was desexed but nothing worked...ti was either chain him, give him up or use the invisable fence. Guess which i chose? and it has been the best thing since sliced bread as far as i'm concerned, it doesn't hurt him but it keeps him in the yard nice and safe.

But the RSPCA considers it inhumane and if they haven't managed to ban them, i believe they are trying to do so. I will continue to use this fencing as i see fit, and the same with the future use of a prong collar. If the RSPCA wants to spend it's time hunting me down to charge me for having safe, polite, healthy, happy dogs then that's going to be their problem.

:D Its just a pinch collar peeps,alot safer than a check chain imo, instead of a thin chain tightning on the dogs neck,the pinch collar simply pinches the skin of the dogs neck in several places at once.when you pull back on this collar the prongs are pulled together all at once to pinch the skin now a lot of people "choke" there dogs with a chain and i reckon that would be more painfull and harmfull to the dogs throat in the long term... also the pinch collar can be custom fitted to your dogs neck by simply adding or removing links for that perfect fit...

Its crap how all the good stuff gets banned.

its also a slim to none chance that anyone will get busted using one..

All my dogs are on flat collars,but i found the pinch collar invaluable in retraining the big girl not to lunge at and chase the cats in the street when i walk her..only had two weeks use. :rolleyes:

Well, I have searched high and low through the Western Australian Dog Act (1976), the Western Australian Animal Welfare Act (2002), and the Western Australian Dog Regulations (1976).

Nowhere can I find any mention of prong collars.

I did find this in the Animal Welfare Act:

19. Cruelty to animals

(1) A person must not be cruel to an animal.

Penalty: Minimum ¾ $2 000.

Maximum ¾ $50 000 and imprisonment for 5 years.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1) a person, whether or not the person is a person in charge of the animal, is cruel to an animal if the person ¾

<other stuff deleted to save space :D  . ricey>

(b) uses a prescribed inhumane device on the animal;

<other stuff deleted to save space :(  . ricey>

Nowhere can I find a list of prescribed devices :p

I did find this on the Dept of Local Govt & Regional Develoments' web-site in reference to the Animal Welfare Act :

Regulations have been made to provide for additional offences. These include using spurs that have been sharpened or that are reasonably capable of penetrating an animal's skin. There are restrictions on the use of electrical devices and jawed traps and the docking of dogs' tails for cosmetic purposes is now banned. The legislation only permits a registered veterinarian to dock a dog's tail and this procedure must be performed for either therapeutic or prophylactic reasons.

Still nothing about prong collars though :rolleyes:

I thoroughly checked the RSPCA (WA) web-site, as they have the responsibility to administer the Animal Welfare Act . Yep, you guessed it; no mention about prong collars :D

I'm going to bite the bullet and phone the RSPCA to see if anyone can point me to something in writing that states that prong collars are banned in WA.

I'll post when I get some info ;)

Peter D

Ricey that is the very reason I did ring the RSPCA

I told them there is nothing on the website

I also have a book here of policy and proceedures it is not in there.

I then thought

maybe they are not banned for use

so I rang

you can read what I discovered.

I didn't post this before and did think before editing.

I spoke to Tony but he was in the office of Steve Vanston (maybe spelling not right)

the CEO when he returned my call.

Edited by Rusky

Rusky:

He said

They are a banned import

G'day, Eddy here.

Thanks K9 for informing us that a Permit is required, and the Permit appears to be written permission from the Minister for Justice and Customs in order to import the goods, and appears to be an "Import Permit". If we all obtain "Import Permits" then we all could import Prong Collars that won't be seized by Customs.

At the beginning of this topic I posted that Customs mentioned on their website, "In the last 12 months across Australia, Customs has seized significant numbers of prohibited dog collars, most of them detected in the international mail."

Maybe if these people who imported these were more informed where the knew about the Permit requirement then they could have applied for such a Permit and could have avoided the Customs seized situations.

As there is an Import Permit requirement where Prong Collars appear to be "restricted goods", this might suggest that some sort of requirements or conditions might have to be met before the application for Permit is approved. As K9 appears to have an "Import Permit" maybe he can let us know what requirements or what conditions there might be, this so that we all might be more informed.

I checked the Customs website and copied and paste the below from this address:-

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4369#e1051

Just in case the address doesn't work see via "Import Export", "Importing Goods", "prohibited and restricted imports" and on this page look for the section "Dog collars - electronic and protrusion".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

prohibited and restricted imports

The Australian Government controls the import of certain goods into Australia. The controls either take the form of:

# an absolute prohibition, which means that you are not allowed to import the goods in any circumstances, or

# a restriction, where you need to have written permission in order to import the goods.

The following information broadly outlines what goods are prohibited or restricted, where you can obtain more information about the control and, in the case of restricted goods, the mailing address or e-mail address to use to apply for permission to import.

The Customs Information and Support Centre (CISC) can provide general information about Customs procedures in relation to prohibited and restricted goods. You can contact the CISC by telephone on 1300 363 263 or by e-mail at [email protected].

The information about prohibited and restricted goods provided on this website is a guide only. Customs recommends that you exercise care with its use. Customs further recommends that you seek more detailed information to ensure that you will comply with legislative requirements before attempting to import restricted goods.

Dog collars - electronic and protrusion (restricted import)

Description:

Dog collars designed to cause an electric shock, or dog collars designed to puncture or bruise an animal's skin.

Permits issued by:

Minister for Justice and Customs

More information:

Customs Information and Support Centre

Telephone: 1300 363 263

E-mail: [email protected]

Address:

Requests to import these goods should be addressed to:

National Manager

Cargo Branch

Australian Customs Service

5 Constitution Avenue

CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600

E-mail: [email protected]

Hi Rusky

I just want to be able to be pointed to a reputable source where I can read for myself the list of "prescribed inhumane devices" for WA. I would have thought that this list would be easy to find, but no :D . I'm assuming that items such as the blades that get strapped onto fighting cocks are banned, as are sharpened riding crops, and sharpened spurs, but I'm having trouble finding anything about these "prescribed inhumane devices" :rolleyes: .

As the RSPCA have the responsibility of administering the Animal Welfare Act, I presumed that they would have published (and publicised) this list, but they haven't. If and when I get hold of a copy of this list, I'll post it :D .

Cheers,

Peter D

p.s. from your posts, I'm presuming that you are somewhere in WA too :p

Rusky:

He said

They are a banned import

G'day, Eddy here.

<stuff deleted by ricey to make this post more reader friendly :rolleyes: >

Dog collars - electronic and protrusion (restricted import)

Description:

Dog collars designed to cause an electric shock, or dog collars designed to puncture or bruise an animal's skin.

Permits issued by:

Minister for Justice and Customs

As prong collars made by reputable manufacturers such as Herm Sprenger are designed to not bruise or puncture an animal's skin, it would appear that no permit is necessary to import them :D :p :D

My god, I love Government departments (not).

Cheers,

Peter D

Apologies Anne, I was being facetious. However, the Customs Web site does advise that it is possible to get permits to import them, so who knows? K9Force has a stock of them, and I bet he doesn't call them curtain clips :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Peter D

Apologies Anne, I was being facetious. However, the Customs Web site does advise that it is possible to get permits to import them, so who knows? K9Force has a stock of them, and I bet he doesn't call them curtain clips :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Peter D

G'day, Eddy here.

I too don't think that K9Force would call them "curtain clips" or some other unusual name.

Refer to my post on the previous page, and gees we all might be able to import Prong Collars legally where they won't be seized by Customs. Also as there is an Import Permit requirement where Prong Collars appear to be "restricted goods", this might suggest that some sort of requirements or conditions might have to be met before the application for Permit is approved. As K9 appears to have an "Import Permit" maybe he can let us know what requirements or what conditions there might be, this so that we all might be more informed.

I'm assuming that items such as the blades that get strapped onto fighting cocks are banned, as are sharpened riding crops, and sharpened spurs, but I'm having trouble finding anything about these "prescribed inhumane devices"

Yes I am in WA.

I said very early on page 1 somewhere that I tried to import a collar a few years ago. I did find a list or was directed to a list at that time but I think it wasn't an RSPCA list but a customs list. That had spurs on for fighting cocks and boot spurs.

The collar had a name too, not just prong collar and I have been trying to find the guys website to get the name of the collar to see if that would bring up a hit. Was years ago so not having any luck.

They have a list at Malaga of that I am fairly sure. Some laws concerning banned imports are countrywide, some of the restrictions are state wide. It is confusing but as we know each state has their own rules.