Puppy Spent The First Night Outside

vernie

If the OP said the pup was sleeping in the laundry they'd have fifty people telling them the laundry is the coldest room in the house, they're mean and should let the pup sleep in the family room/bedroom/ensuite :)

OP - confining the pup to a small-ish area and regularly going out and taking him to the desired toilet spot would be the best idea IMO

When you say he's in a basket - do you mean the basket on it's own or inside the kennel? If the former - where he's sleeping IMO it needs to have a "roof" so he is only warming a small space with his body heat - an open basket on a patio at this time of year - he's trying to heat up the whole world with his own body heat.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppies at that age are similar to human babies in that they cannot regulate their own body temperature all that well.

Incorrect, a 10 week old puppy is quite capable of regulating its body temperature.

Many people have their pups indoors to sleep and they are fine when older outside.

I too am a little confused as to why it's fine to have him indoors but he has to sleep outside? What is the difference? I'm actually really interested to know, not being nasty although on the net it can come across that way, sorry.xxxx :)

Totally agree with the first statement!

I think people like to have the dogs sleep outside (even if they are inside during the day) so they don't have to get up to toilet the dog/pup if required.

Why get a dog in the first place if your not prepared to look after it.

Why get a dog in the first place if your not prepared to look after it.

I believe that was not called for.

I do believe in this weather it is best for a dog to be inside, even more so at some a young age, but i do not believe it is fair of you to question another dog owner or state that they are not prepared to look after it.

Wow the post above me was a little bit harsh dont you think?

What's harsh about it ? it's the truth.

If you are not prepared to look after a dog and see to it's needs, don't get one.

Why would you purchase a baby puppy and put it out side in the winter and then want to know

how to stop it going on deck.

I agree, the puppy should be inside, i would never dream on putting any of my 3 dogs out side.

but i dont think its your place to say that they are not looking after their dog.. that is only on aspect of looking after an animal, there are many dog owners who do keep their dogs outside, yes i dont agree with it, but its not our place to tell others how to raise there dogs.

What's harsh about it ? it's the truth.

If you are not prepared to look after a dog and see to it's needs, don't get one.

Why would you purchase a baby puppy and put it out side in the winter and then want to know

how to stop it going on deck.

I'd say the fact that they are here asking for advice means that they are prepared to look after it. Can't expect that everyone knows the "best" way of doing things first up. I'm sure they're willing to hear advice and take it into consideration, but just because they're not doing things the "right" way as per your opinion, doesn't mean they're a bad owner.

Is a laundry all that different to a good deck - laundries a draughty and cold. If pup has adequate protection from the elements and a warm snuggly bed (as described - with hot water bottle) I think it is really rude of people to guilt trip OP.

That said - it will be more difficult to train pup to toilet where you want.

I personally could not stand to have a shedding largish breed dog sleep in my bedroom or live as an inside dog- can't stand the hair or the smell - recently went to someones house that has a cattle dog who is an inside dog (bathed etc) and I could really smell it. :) :) :laugh:

I have sometimes wondered if it is healthy for dogs to live inside like we expect them to these days - when I was a kid most family pets were outside dogs and coped very well. If a dog has a warm and dry place to sleep why shouldn't they sleep outside.

Edited by frufru

Well I must say that I'm inclined to agree with oakway, keeping a puppy outside at night just because you don't want to get up to let it out doesn't sit well with me either. However I don't think that oakway was directing her post at the OP or anyone in particular, she was simply making a generalised statement.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would allow a dog inside during the day, but shut it out at night, but each to their own I suppose. In my experience dogs confined inside at night are quieter and more settled than those allowed to roam the yard, but I know that this isn't always the case, all dogs are different.

When did he say he left it outside because he didnt want to get up to let it out?

He was taking advice off his breeder.

If he is coming to this forum and asking questions dont you think he is trying to give the dog his best by getting advice and help off others?

I dont agree at all with letting dogs sleep outside in this weather or at all, but who am i or anyone else to question how another raises there animals, unless they are abusing the animal?

He si trying to give the puppy the best he can by asking for help and advice, i dont think its fair to say that he shouldnt have gotten the dog as he isnt prepared to look after it, when clearly when he was asking her help is him trying to ask for help!

I think what the poster was referring to was that not wanting to let pup out during the night is really just one of the parts of raising a puppy and if you aren't willing to do that what elsemight be ignored?

Anyway, that's how I interpreted it.

I don't understand why people dont want their dogs inside, my dog is part of my family so is with us whether were inside or outside. Yeah maybe there's a bit of hair and it can smell a bit doggy before a good clean but I choose to accept those downsides.

Yes - it is all about choice and people should not be made to feel guilty because they choose to have an outside dog.

My poodles sleep in my bedroom but if I had a shedding dog - it would be an outside dog because I don't like the smell of shedding dogs - my choice

To be truthful there are times when I don't understand any of you. :)

Shorly things have changed in Australia in regards to dogs for the better.

Here we are trying to promote responsible pet ownership and improve the conditions for

companion animals. :)

I think what the poster was referring to was that not wanting to let pup out during the night is really just one of the parts of raising a puppy and if you aren't willing to do that what elsemight be ignored?

Anyway, that's how I interpreted it.

I don't understand why people dont want their dogs inside, my dog is part of my family so is with us whether were inside or outside. Yeah maybe there's a bit of hair and it can smell a bit doggy before a good clean but I choose to accept those downsides.

Exactly :)

I'm actually really interested to know, not being nasty although on the net it can come across that way, sorry.xxxx :)

Ahh, thanks, i feel a bit like that, but i might just be taking everyone's posts the wrong way :)

I have previously had two perfect labs, neither of them slept on my bed, and neither of them slept inside.

They both had their own kennel outside and their own giant cushion to sit on when they came in side.

I actually don't beleive in letting my dogs sleep in my bed, specially if you have children (this is just my opinion tho, please don't get all peeved at me!! All my dogs have been massive and it's just not phisically possible!, Plus they have their kennel, so i can have mine ) :laugh:

I agree with the loo traning and the puppy needing to be inside at night to help training - that all makes sense.

But he was quite ok outside last night - hardly cried at all. I checked on him several times.

When did he say he left it outside because he didnt want to get up to let it out?

He was taking advice off his breeder.

If he is coming to this forum and asking questions dont you think he is trying to give the dog his best by getting advice and help off others?

I dont agree at all with letting dogs sleep outside in this weather or at all, but who am i or anyone else to question how another raises there animals, unless they are abusing the animal?

He si trying to give the puppy the best he can by asking for help and advice, i dont think its fair to say that he shouldnt have gotten the dog as he isnt prepared to look after it, when clearly when he was asking her help is him trying to ask for help!

thank you :)

i'm not stupid - i have had puppies before and have raised them to be beautiful companions.

i am a great pet owner - just because i put my dog out at night does not mean that i am not. my dogs have all been very well behaved with no prob in the past.

i have other people (small children and another one on the way) to think about also.

i am at home all day with our puppy.

interesting that everyone has responded to my previous topic about getting another pup so positively but now some are making me question my decision.

have always felt quite welcome on here till now. :)

Vernie are you politician? because you seemed to answer that question - but you didn't :)

I am really curious to know exactly why pup cannot sleep inside?

No one has actually suggested you let it sleep in your bed... there is a lot of alternatives in between sleeping outside and sleeping in your bed!

But yeah, i think if you have made up your mind about the dog sleeping outside - then it should sleep outside from day one. I think its a bit harsh to have it inside at night for a few weeks and then suddenly turf it out.

I don't mean to come across as having a go at you.

I think its more ideal for a pet dog to sleep inside with its pack (not in the same bed!) I think its safer and emotionally better for the dog. But I think as long as it does have a soft warm place to sleep then it sleeping outside is not cruel. And its your pup so your choice ofcourse.

Could you please tell us you reasoning and motivations behind having a dog that is allowed inside but not allowed inside at night? I am very curious :)

Could you please tell us you reasoning and motivations behind having a dog that is allowed inside but not allowed inside at night? I am very curious :)

i just felt that since he was outside at the breeders, then instead of having him stay in at night when ultimately he was going to sleep outside in the end, then instead of moving him around all over the place he could start out and stay out. less confusion for him.

my question was more about the toilet training, i never expected to get slammed about where he slept!! specially as he doesn't seem to have a problem with it!

its a shame the dol police are at it again :)

he is a dog, not a baby, thats why he has fur :)

you will come across lots of different opinions here, just take what you need and ignore the rest :laugh: