Puppy Spent The First Night Outside

vernie

To be truthful there are times when I don't understand any of you. :)

Shorly things have changed in Australia in regards to dogs for the better.

Here we are trying to promote responsible pet ownership and improve the conditions for

companion animals. :)

I don't think having every breed of dog living like it is a cosetted toy breed is an improvement either for canine mental or physical health. Surely a lot of the problems we see in dogs today are because we treat them as substitute children and not the canine companions they are.

Having a dog live outside does not mean that they aren't a well loved member of the family and included in daily activities who are raised a happy, healthy and well socialsied dogs by responsible owners. Personally, I feel sorry for dogs who are confined to the house all day with nothing but the TV and a kong toy. My 9.5 week old standard pup absolutely loves being out in the garden and it would be a crime to deprive her of this. She would probably like to sleep out as well (night smells are very interesting) but unfortunately for her she sleeps in a crate next to my husbands side of the bed LOL

PS I am advocating choice not dictating where dogs should sleep.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you please tell us you reasoning and motivations behind having a dog that is allowed inside but not allowed inside at night? I am very curious :)

i thought the OP answered this in their first post?

the way they would like to have a set up with the family and the dog is that the dog sleeps outside, on a covered deck, with a kennel and a hot water bottle if needed but is allowed to come inside and be part of the family during the day. the OP is about to have another child, with some small children already so probably only wants the dog inside when she is home and aroud so she can supervise any interaction. the dog will go outside to sleep when the adults are heading off to bed themselves.

i see nothing wrong with having a dog that can come indoors during the day, with supervision, and sleep outside-that way it can interact and be part of the family whilst being an 'outside dog'. and i believe a lab is perfectly capable of sleeping outdoors. personally i would allow a puppy to sleep inside in the laundry or somewhere similar and train it to recognise and use it's kennel in small bursts during the day (when you can toilet train it for the deck). however their breeder seems to have been having the pups sleep outdoors anyway and reccomended they continue as they hope to end up when they brought the pup home.

i would never have a dog in my bed personally. i love my animals and would go to the ends of the earth for them, but i also believe in treating a dog like a dog, honouring what it is and meeting the needs that come with that and to me that means he can have him comfy bed but my bed is mine, not for dogs (as well as other things, such as giving him RMB that make his beard stinky and giving him leadership and boundaries). i allow my dog to sleep inside, although i have no ill-will or concern about dogs sleeping outside, depending on breed (i probably would have an issue with a pug or a CKCS sleeping outdoors).

anyhoo, that's just my humble opinion.

i just felt that since he was outside at the breeders, then instead of having him stay in at night when ultimately he was going to sleep outside in the end, then instead of moving him around all over the place he could start out and stay out. less confusion for him.

my question was more about the toilet training, i never expected to get slammed about where he slept!! specially as he doesn't seem to have a problem with it!

sorry I didn't answer your actual question.

I didn't mean to 'slam' you.

I am genuinely curious about what it is that appeals to you about having your pet dogs sleep outside... I thought there may have been an interesting reason for it.

but obviously the thread wasn't started for that reason, and you have no obligation to say why. But it doesn't stop me from, being curious!

here are several smiley faces that are my attempt at ahowing you I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable, and that I bear you no ill wil or anything like that

:) :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

maybe you could try a crate as has been mentioned.

My girls both sleep in their crates and they LOVE them. (in the lounge)

They have sheepskin beds in there and are covered at night, so very snug. They sleep with the doors of the crates closed and have a treat at bedtime when they go to bed, so they are always desperate to get in there :)

This would keep the pup both warm and safe and being used to a crate is very handy for any plane travel and vet visits etc. or any times that the dog needs it's own safe place(operations or ill etc.)

it's also good so the pup is not in the habit of 'going' all night. I've had older dogs (rehomed to me) who have been used to going any old time and had to go through the whole night thing with them as they are not in the habit of a toileting routine.

Our spinone did not get up during the night from age 10 weeks, (super bladder!!) and the viz was 13 weeks.

at first both were in my room and I would take them out and show them where to go. They soon learn that weeeeees means go now and go there! :laugh:

There were no problems with transferring them to the lounge later on.(they are a year apart in age, so one at a time)

I don't have them in bed as we already have 4 cats in the bed, and after years of hardly any sleep with irish wolfhounds and many other breeds in the bed, I decided to try crates and it was a terrific decision!! :laugh: especially as the spin can snore like a truck! :)

Good luck, it sounds like you are getting things under control.

its a shame the dol police are at it again :D

he is a dog, not a baby, thats why he has fur :)

you will come across lots of different opinions here, just take what you need and ignore the rest ;)

This is probably the best comment on here so far. :(

Everyone has given their opinions, preferences and dislikes, so perhaps it only right that we respect the OPs preferences, dislikes and opinions...

OP sounds sensible to me, most dogs are inny and outy dogs.

The only advice I would give to help with toilet training, (which is the advice asked for) is perhaps set up a crate on the verandah, this will create a cave effect, also will keep pup warmer and will help in toilet training as they rarely mess in their crates (in my experience). I used to set my alarm for every couple of hours for a toilet trun in the very early days, then stretch the time out. Mine didnt take very long at all - in a couple of weeks they were going right through the night :laugh:

Dogs on human beds in un-natural in my opinion, so who's to say my opinion is right and others who believe that a dog should be indoors is right?

A dog is a dog, much loved or not, it is a dog....

Edited by joelle

Vernie you can bet as soon as you say 'pup outside at night'..youll get a pretty big response.. :laugh: Sounds to me like you have provided a very safe warm environment for your pup..who by the way you know is used to sleeping outside..You dont have to have your dogs sleep inside with you if thats what youve decided....its not the Mortal Sin of dog ownership to decide so. Oodles of people safely sleep their dogs outside in an appropriate set up..and youve done it already

Re the training.I wouldnt lose any sleep over it..hell do it sure cause you arnt there to show him otherwise...but Ill bet hell go up on the grass as he matures. No biggee. Id just be cleaning the area so it doesnt smell so inviying but hell still no doubt do it as hes only a bub...that will soon change.

Sounds to me like you dont have to apologise or change the way you do things. Your place..your dogs...your the decision maker.

Edited by Liebhunde

To be truthful there are times when I don't understand any of you. :laugh:

Shorly things have changed in Australia in regards to dogs for the better.

Here we are trying to promote responsible pet ownership and improve the conditions for

companion animals. :D

This is a comment from left left if ever there was one!

Who has suggested that responsible pet ownership and good conditions for companion animals is not occurring?

I don't have a problem with dogs being outside dogs, my only concerns were that it is not conducive to toilet training a young pup which is what the OP was asking about.

Also with such a young pup I would be paranoid about what they could get into, but then I'm just a paranoid Mum :laugh:

OP, obviously you are a good pet owner and I hope none of my comments made you feel unwelcome :D

Surely a lot of the problems we see in dogs today are because we treat them as substitute children and not the canine companions they are.

:laugh: Totally agree with the above quote.....

To the OP If I were you I would crate train your puppy, It has many advantages one for example once the dog is older and has to go to the vet it will be happy to sit quietly in the cage not stressed and trust me as a vet nurse it helps us emmensly if a dog does not fight you when you try to put them in the cage,also much kinder on our ears lol.

You will then have a dog who will toilet on command so if you decide to take him on holidays for example much easier on you both.

You also said you are having another baby, having him crate trained will make it a lot easier on you once bub comes along,especially if he needs to be locked away for the baby or when guests come round whos children are scared of dogs.

All positives IMO :D

Definitely crate inside. I would reconsider the hot water bottle too. Won't be long until he can eat it. :)

Yes, nasty! and expensive.

I don't mind anyone having dogs outside either and we often have friends to stay whose dogs do sleep outside and they are very well cared for dogs :)

It is faster and easier to toilet train indoors though, but if that is not a priority and time doesn't matter, well, outside is fine, as long as the pup is warm and safe, 10 wk old labs will devour anything :( ;)

it may seem unnatural to have dogs in the bed ;) but they were the main bedwarmers for humans for thousands of years, even for royalty, it was one of their job descriptions, they even shared all human meals :D I'd never heard of a dog sleeping outside until I moved to the country (farms) years ago.

I can tell your lovely pup is well loved. Would love to see puppy pics sometime. :laugh: Don't worry about us lot! we aren't as horrible as we may appear to be ;) xxxxxxx

I would say while he is small ,he just gets up and squats where he is, just slosh it down with white vinegar and water.

He will soon make it to the lawn, where it won't run over his feet either, so he will prefer it.

I have had lots of foster pups, and not many have gone on my patio, as they follow the older dogs to the lawn.

As long as he in undercover, and has lots of warm bedding he should be fine, you could always put a smaller box inside the kennel till he grows into it to make is more snug. :laugh: and a cuddly toy.

+1. Hopefully the light smell of the vinegar will put puppy off sniffing and so squating on your deck. Having said that, probably just doesnt want to get cold dew on his feet from the grass lol. My Amstaff girl absolutly hates going on the grass at night, will only go if I stand over her or will hold on untill morning. So you may be in for a LONG cleaning spell untill pup can hold his toileting over night. Dont worry about it. He will get it eventually, untill then just stick with the vinegar water and huge prasies when he does go on the grass.

Try putting a lead on him just before you go to bed (as late as possible)and walking him on the grass untill he goes toilet. Perhaps set your alarm for 4am and take him on grass again on his lead untill he goes toilet. Found that was always around the time my pups needed to go toilet so got up and beat them to it before they messed inside.

Completly with you on your choices for your pup to sleep outside with young kids. My dogs are indoors but I have high up locks on my kitchen/sitting room doors so my kids can not access the dogs if they wake up before I do in the mornings. Much better having your pup outside if there is any doubt that your kids can get to your pup unsupervised. Sounds like a nice snuggly bed he has there.

ps new dog = piccys needed!!!!!!!!

I must be the worst kind of dog owner cos my dogs sleep inside but get turfed out at 5am into the cold dark courtyard. Including the 3 month old pup. And horror of horrors.......they don't come inside during the day. Ever.

Mine sleep indoors (at night ) in the laundry on a blanket. Through the day they are outside in a run. I wouldnt dream of telling anyone else where their dogs should sleep :laugh:

Edited by joelle

ahh, yes, i never realised it was such a touchie / judgemental subject!! :D

Here on DOL it is :( We let our puppy sleep in the house in the kitchen in a crate with blankets and hot water bottle - never in our bed or even in our bedroom though. I have allergies that are being kept under control and having him in our room would just be pushing it too far. He gets to wander around the house supervised when we're home and he's crated at night. That being said, my family are absolutely horrified that we still let him sleep inside. As far as they're concerned, a dog is a dog and our dog is a kelpie/bc so they think he should sleep outside and that we're spoiling him. Nonetheless, our decision has been to let him sleep inside.

When the weather is warmer, I WOULD like to try to teach him how to sleep outside in his kennel just to teach him to adapt to different circumstances. One of the tradesmen that came to our house to install our security doors said that when his dog had always been an indoor dog and then when he went on his honeymoon and asked a friend to come around and look after his dog (feed, water, walk etc) that wasn't enough because his dog wasn't used to sleeping outside, freaked out, jumped the fence and went looking for him and since then has been a fence jumper :laugh: Thus, while we don't really see a holiday in our near future, if we did go on holiday we wouldn't want to put Elbie in a kennel and we'd probably ask someone to come around to keep an eye on him so if that's the case - he needs to know how to sleep outside in his kennel ...

There are many happy, healthy, beloved family dogs that sleep outside :) I know that some breeds of dogs aren't suited for outdoors, but there are many that are. Good luck with your little doggy ;)

Edited to correct my appalling typing... Stupid paws ... Sigh ...

Edited by koalathebear

I've only ever met one person in my life that allows their dogs to sleep inside the house. It's very much a personal choice.

It actually makes it very difficult if you ever go away and need to leave your dog with someone. Now i am sure i will get in troub for not taking my dog with me!! i don't always want to go camping and sometimes it's nice to leave the kids behind (2 legs & 4!)

It's one thing to ask someone to mind your dog, but to allow them sleep inside is a bit too much (specially if their own dogs sleep outside!). I would hate my dog to be the one carrying on and keeping all the neighbours awake! No one would ever have him back. I have minded other dogs like this and they would have to sleep inside whilst mine slept out - purely because they would not stop crying!

I agree that toilet training is often easier to do if the pup sleeps inside but that's irrelevant as you are choosing to have your pup sleep outside.

My dogs both sleep outside at night & we found encouraging through play & walks on our grassed area before bedtime helped them to learn this is where we ideally wanted them to toilet. It does take time for them to learn but with encouragement & not punishing if messes are left in other areas you should find your pup will pick it up.

On the debate of outside v inside sleeping - really whatever works for the owners is best. Not all situations are suited for all so we each need to adapt to fit our own needs. We are in a Western Red Cedar home on stilts so my dogs have a very warm "under house" area to sleep & it is well protected from the elements & any potential dangers.

No problem with starting as you mean to go on. If he is safe and warm on the deck and you can hear/see him I don't think that's an issue at all :laugh:

A covered (and closed) crate or even a pen around his kennel at night and popping out a few times to take him down to the grass might be the easiest way to prevent him toileting on the deck. Otherwise I guess you could try puppy pads or even a doggy toilet up there for him (then when he gets a bit older move it down onto the grass and eventually remove it). There is a recent thread here with some good advice on how to make a cheap one yourself with a tray and some fake grass.