Puppy Spent The First Night Outside

vernie

I haven't read all the pages - just wanted to say a couple of things :D

Remove the H/W bottle! it will be a very nasty exercise when puppy chews/punctures/eats bits of it :laugh:

Can you put the kennel on the deck with a window view? A nice warm bed in a nice draft-free kennel is a perfect spot for your pup to sleep :( Plenty of things in which to snuggle - and away from ANY draft .

Whilst pups who sleep outdoors may well learn bad habits like barking at things that go bump in the night - and yes, they may prefer being with their people - if that's what you do- then fine.

toilet training to the yard/grass will be hard - he is only a baby ..... and in his mind- peeing away from his basket/bed is all that is required of him at this stage!

Start walking him round the yard- and when you see him squat, use a happy voice (but not a 'baby' coochie coo one) and say "wee" or "quick-quick" or something- accompanied by praise IMMEDIATELY something happens.After a short time- he will 'click' and you are on your way to being able to toilet your dog anywhere, anytime by telling him :) It is a wonderfully freeing thing!

We have outside sleeping and inside sleeping dogs- all are healthy and happy .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh- had a thought- if you have some very thick denim/canvas stuff and can make a cover for the HW bottle, so little teeth can't chew thru - then it would be nice to leave it there :laugh:

perhaps try one of the things I use? get a 2 or 3 litre empty juice container (berri/homebrand ones -the strong clear ones with yellow caps), the plastic ones. Fill it to withing about 3/4 cm of the top with water as hot out of the tap as you can get.screw lid on- then turn bottle upside down. Hold it there for a minute. ANY seepage at all- don't use it :(

if all seems ok- then get a large sized 'explorer' type terry sock, and slide t over the bottle , so teh bottle neck is at the toe end, and the sock has the terry side IN.(just as you would wear it.

now put the other sock on if you want- the other way :D

This is very warm, hold its heat , and I have not had a pup chew one yet ..... *crosses fingers* :)

The other thing I use a lot is hot bricks! We have a slow combustion heater. Bricks sit on it for 24 hrs .. then are wrapped in a terry sock and used for oldies/pups etc. very safe..and very very warm .

Edited by persephone