Human Antihistamines For Dogs

I took Honey to the vet to treat a skin allergy today.

All pretty much as I had expected, she has a contact allergy and she got a antihistamine shot and tablets.

The vet said that as she has had a reaction during winter, that she is likely to suffer quite a bit come spring and I should keep antihistamines on hand.

He said that over the counter antihistamines from the chemist are fine.

Has anyone else used them?

(ps- Erny if you read this- The calendula tea worked a treat for the inflamation!! Thanks! :) )

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really have to test out all the different ones and get your Vet to give you the dossage rates because they don't work the same as they do in humans, you may need to trial all the different ones before you find one that helps - however the allergy may push through that.

Edited by sas

Yup and they work too. :)

Excellent! :)

Which brand do you use? What kind of dosage?

I will be asking my vet, but I have enough to last me for a while and I like to be armed with extra info before asking vets anything. :laugh:

1/2 a zyrtec twice a day for my 16kg girl worked fine.

She had 1.5 tablets and the whatever-the-heck-she'd-stuck-her-face-into-and-got-a-rash-from cleared up fine. I was planning on giving her the last half but swept it up off the bench with the dish cloth and chucked it in the sink instead :)

I would be much more cautious and 'scientific' for a dog which had on going issues.

1/2 a zyrtec twice a day for my 16kg girl worked fine.

She had 1.5 tablets and the whatever-the-heck-she'd-stuck-her-face-into-and-got-a-rash-from cleared up fine. I was planning on giving her the last half but swept it up off the bench with the dish cloth and chucked it in the sink instead :)

I would be much more cautious and 'scientific' for a dog which had on going issues.

Thanks. :D

This time it was a case of "whatever-the-heck-she'd-stuck-her-face-into-and-got-a-rash-from" . :laugh:

I'll be seeing the vet before I buy any, just wanted to get an idea.

Oh Nik, poor Jedi. :(

Are his allergies any better?

Rhino is on cetirizine(Zyrtec), though I buy a genetic brand(c-zine) as he's been prescribed to take 4 a day(2 twice a day) :laugh:

He's around 27kg

As sas says, definitely ask your vet the dosage rates for Honey :D

Edited by raffikki

I also use phenergen. My vet gave me a list of about 5 suitable tablets to give. She said take the list to the chemist and get the cheapest one and if that doesn't work go through the list. She also said to give the tablet early in the morning as it can make some dogs hypo and you don't want them keeping you awake all night.

I paid $5 and got dog ones to have in case from the vet after an expensive emergency vet visit. However on the night the emergency vet suggested human ones but ended up giving her injections of that and something else as she was worse than he thought (suggested stuck bone or something due to her pain reaction but it was just a bad reaction from being stung by something she swallowed in her throat))

Have used Polaramine for a jack-jumper bite (me and the dog :rofl: ).

Per my vet - for the BCs (15 kg and 21 kg) - keep some 10mg Phenergan on hand for emergencies - have used one for a bee sting on Rory - no problems.

Touch wood, haven't had allergy problems though - well, except one bout with some sort of grass.

Thanks for all your answers everyone, thats really good to know! :rofl:

I was quite suprised when he said I could use some over the counter products.

I will be taking Honey to get her vaccinations in a couple of months so I will talk to him about dosage then. I'm covered for now. :)

I have used this chart for dosage of antihistamines.

Antihistamines Dosage Chart

I have used Polaramine for me and my Staffy. Works well for us. :rofl: I think it just depends on the individual dog or person, which one works the best. Trial and error!

Polaramine comes in two different strengths, but the one that is the strongest one is not really suitable for dogs. It is a slow release tablet that should not be cut or used if the outer layer of the tablet is damaged. If the outer layer is damaged,(chewed or cut) too much of the drug would be released at once.

The lower dose Polaramine are the ones mentioned on this chart.

I was advised by our vet that the 'older' generation of ah is more effective for skin issues. So, polaramine is the drug of choice when the spring season happens to be too much to handle for my baby's immune system.

Edited by Anna