Human Antihistamines For Dogs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was advised by our vet that the 'older' generation of ah is more effective for skin issues. So, polaramine is the drug of choice when the spring season happens to be too much to handle for my baby's immune system.

My vet and dermatologist think the opposite and I have to agree, I could give my lab a whole bottle of Polaramine and he would have no relief, plus it makes a lot of dogs drowsy....

Oh Nik, poor Jedi. :)

Are his allergies any better?

Yeah he's doing much better. His fur is growing back and his quality of life has improved out of sight. Unfortunately his immunotherapy isn't working as well as it should and he keeps getting a recurrent staph infected folliculitis. So now he's on antibiotics, potentially for life. But whatever helps him! :(

Oh Nik, poor Jedi. :laugh:

Are his allergies any better?

Yeah he's doing much better. His fur is growing back and his quality of life has improved out of sight. Unfortunately his immunotherapy isn't working as well as it should and he keeps getting a recurrent staph infected folliculitis. So now he's on antibiotics, potentially for life. But whatever helps him! :eek:

Poor boy! My dog is having his allergy tests this friday, we have been waiting to do it for ages as he kept getting really bad ear infections - we then worked out that he was allergic to the ear drops and they were making him worse!

Yep, have used Polaramine tablets for my 28kg dog when she had itchy, swollen eyes for a few weeks, which we were not able to find the cause of.

The human dose is 2mg (one tablet) either once or twice a day. We were told to give her 6mg (!) twice a day, as the 2mg once a day that I'd been doing was not having any effect. Well I did the 6mg only once a day and it really helped her. She also was happy to just eat the tablets from my hand which made it all so easy.

The thing that cracked me up was the large warning on the packet saying it can cause drowsiness at the 2mg dose for humans, but at the 6mg dose for my 28kg dog it did not even put a DENT in her usual high energy!

------------------------------

I took Honey to the vet to treat a skin allergy today.

He said that over the counter antihistamines from the chemist are fine.

Has anyone else used them?

(ps- Erny if you read this- The calendula tea worked a treat for the inflamation!! Thanks! :o )

Fantastic! Glad it helped.

I use the Calendula but have Zyrtec antihistamines on stand-by. If the Calendula doesn't work, I will use the Zyrtec. So far, after 12 months of hives and other sorts of lumps and bumps, the Calendula has been the saviour and the antihistamines remain unopened in the cupboard.

Deelee - I would seriously reconsider annual vaccinations. IMO they are not necessary and they do add stress to the immune system. For that matter, I'd reconsider regular 3 monthly worming as well (assuming you follow that regime). Half the time we apply these drugs for no good reason.

Vaccinations speak to your vet if worried however with the worming that might be something to also check to see if you can cut down a little as ours said we didnt need to worm her that often as she was at low risk. So she only gets wormed maybe once or twice a year (apart from heartworm tablets each month).

Vaccinations speak to your vet if worried ....

Problem is, the majority of Vets continue to push the 12 monthly boosters in spite of even (but not only) the AVA advising against this.

But talking to the vet if you trust them in regard to how it may be affecting their immune system and perhaps getting the titre test if you dont want to vaccinate each year is better than just going ok I aint doing it and ending up being unlucky and finding your dog doesnt hold its immunity by catchng something very nasty like parvo.

I used polaramine for my staffy with wandering dew allergy and also quit itch lotion.In an emergency once for my boxer with multiple bee stings on the face I gave him a childs dose of claratyne syrup which worked great.

(ps- Erny if you read this- The calendula tea worked a treat for the inflamation!! Thanks! ;) )

I use the Calendula but have Zyrtec antihistamines on stand-by. If the Calendula doesn't work, I will use the Zyrtec. So far, after 12 months of hives and other sorts of lumps and bumps, the Calendula has been the saviour and the antihistamines remain unopened in the cupboard.

I now have the Calendula to apply at the first sign of an allergy, and the vet gave me a stash of antihistamines - I'm hoping that I will be as lucky as you and not have to use them. :(

Deelee - I would seriously reconsider annual vaccinations. IMO they are not necessary and they do add stress to the immune system. For that matter, I'd reconsider regular 3 monthly worming as well (assuming you follow that regime). Half the time we apply these drugs for no good reason.

Aaargh. I'm torn about this. I agree we overuse drugs- I will always try a natural alternative if I can find it. But...

I was just reading the other thread on this and am leaning towards vaccinations- we live in a high density area with lots of dogs and I would hate for Honey to contract something if it could have been avoided by vaccinating her. :dummy:

Another issue is my dog training club and kenneling, both require proof of vaccs. :dummy:

As for worming- Ooops! I forgot anyway! :dummy:

(ps- Erny if you read this- The calendula tea worked a treat for the inflamation!! Thanks! :D )

I now have the Calendula to apply at the first sign of an allergy, and the vet gave me a stash of antihistamines - I'm hoping that I will be as lucky as you and not have to use them. :)

Aaargh. I'm torn about this. I agree we overuse drugs- I will always try a natural alternative if I can find it. But...

I was just reading the other thread on this and am leaning towards vaccinations- we live in a high density area with lots of dogs and I would hate for Honey to contract something if it could have been avoided by vaccinating her. ;)

Another issue is my dog training club and kenneling, both require proof of vaccs. ;)

As for worming- Ooops! I forgot anyway! :p

Most kennels and clubs accept titre testing now, I have had to look into it a fair bit as I dont want to vaccinate my allergy dog.

I was just reading the other thread on this and am leaning towards vaccinations- we live in a high density area with lots of dogs and I would hate for Honey to contract something if it could have been avoided by vaccinating her. :D

But if your Titre test reveals immunity, then she has immunity.

Another issue is my dog training club and kenneling, both require proof of vaccs. :)

Yeah - that's a problem and is one that has to be the choice of the owner as to what they want to do. I only ask for minimum C3 for our classes, Titre tests in lieu are accepted. As said, this should get better the more Clubs start looking at this more closely and catching up with what research reveals.

ETA: If your dermatologist doesn't want Honey to have vaccs, ask for a letter from him - your Club at least might accept that and not insist on current vaccination.

Edited by Erny

I just googled anti hystamines for dogs

there is a page from ingleburn vets with dosage for brands to bodyweight of dogs

also check out human drugs poisonous for dogs

sorry I dont know how to load up click ons

i give my two a half Claratyne tab daily to take care of their itchies (mostly byron), which it does --- unfortunately, it doesn't do much for byron's sneezing or his watery eyes :)

their vet recommended tho that i try several on the list they provided me until i find the one that works best; Claratyne does the job for the itchies and that was byron's biggest concern so i'm glad for that :laugh: