Pony 1 Border Collie 0

JulesP

Absolutely fair enough onsntillnflash. I live in a regional area and our vets are all large-and-small animal as well, but I wouldn't call them 'rural' I suppose.

I was just trying to say that we feel really silly going to vets for things sometimes, but in the end it's best that we did. ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 100% agree with you Fran, and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was having a go at you because I certainly wasn't ;) In fact I do envy you your situation of a decent vet that you can take your dog in for anything.

eta to try and make sense, I shouldn't post with bad flu!

Edited by onsntillnflash

MY doctor says she has seen animals of the two-legged variety WALK into her office on spiral fractures.

I sent one of my kid's friends to the doctor (long story) but he only had "severe bruising" after a fall. But even the doctor had to get an x-ray to tell if there was a break or not - so how the heck were we to know?

Both of the above were old enough and vocal enough to tell us what was wrong. Right? Unlike a dog.

My dog gets 24 hours if she limps. Usually she's ok after 12. But if it went on longer than that, even if I knew she had done nothing major (like being struck by a horse) she's go for a vet check. I do pay the vet for his (her) time. ;)

By the way, I still get sore where the horse jumped on ME a year ago, so I bet the dog is sore. ;)

Surely your dog's health is more important then a 2 day herding clinic? Take her to the vet just to be safe, you cannot tell how much damage has been done just by looking at it. You could cause more damage if you make her run, so maybe common sense should be telling you not to.

Edited by haylz27

Jules, if it were my dog I'd have Poppy in a crate for 24 hours - not running around with the other dogs. If she were still not weight bearing after that (or I had not seen a significant improvement) then they would be off to the vet.

As for the clinic - unless one of mine were 100% by Thursday they would be having the weekend off. (And have had the weekend off trialling for injuries I wasn't sure about.)

PF is right - BC's (and I'm sure other high drive dogs as well) will run regardless of how injured they are, I think we need to look after them that little bit more. Xena had a badly torn muscle in her shoulder and had six weeks out. I couldn't take her to flyball because she would just got nuts in her crate trying to get out and play - the worst thing she could have done for her injury. It turned out that she must have had the injury for a while and not let me know - she was running on 3 legs. When she came back she was absolutely flying - much quicker than before and she hasn't slowed back down.

It seems you're not that interested in hearing opinions, but I'll give mine anyway. I wouldn't take it to the herding clinic regardless. If the leg still looks sore/the dog's still walking on it a bit funny the next day, then I would take it to the vet. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Agreed with others that you can't always tell the damage just by looking at it yourself.

Hopefully you have taken the advice (that you asked for people to give) by now. How is she?

It is unthinkable to ask any dog to work or do agility after a pony has landed on it & clearly caused physical trauma. I would much rather feel silly (not that I think you should) at the vet & pay a pittance than risk chronic injury for the rest of her days.

Edited by Vickie

She looks to be weight bearing the majority of the time but is still limping. She is in the house as she is still wanting to run around.

I'll see how she is tomorrow and decide on the vets. I have had a BC with a broken leg and one with a ruptured ligament so I do know what they look like.

This isn't one of my normal clinics it is one with an overseas trainer. Very disappointing.

The dogs can't get in the pony's paddock by themselves. We go for a walk whilst pony is busy eating in his yard. He has never left his dinner before.

I have had a BC with a broken leg and one with a ruptured ligament so I do know what they look like.

Oh c'mon! You can see into bone and muscle now??

Unless the bone is displaced, there is NO way you could possibly know for sure if a bone isn't broken... same with ruptured ligaments.. unless the injury caused displacement of the joint, you CAN'T know...

Admit that you have no intention of taking your dog to the vet and have every intention of taking her to the herding on the weekend.

She looks to be weight bearing the majority of the time but is still limping. She is in the house as she is still wanting to run around.

I'll see how she is tomorrow and decide on the vets. I have had a BC with a broken leg and one with a ruptured ligament so I do know what they look like.

This isn't one of my normal clinics it is one with an overseas trainer. Very disappointing.

The dogs can't get in the pony's paddock by themselves. We go for a walk whilst pony is busy eating in his yard. He has never left his dinner before.

Still, this is not always the case. OH works in orthopedics. Usually an xray is necessary.

Hope she's better soon :thumbsup:

Take the dog to the vet! I did just that in a very similar situation recently and was relieved that the vet found no major injury and did advise I could work my dog that weekend. The consult was worth every penny for peace of mind. If your vet thinks you're silly for going in with a lame dog, then look for another vet IMO.

Edited by FHRP

Guest Clover

I would have been off to the vets asap, but then i also think a dogs well being is a hell of a lot more important than a herding clinic :rofl:.

I've been there with the horses it's a total PITA when they get an injury right before a major comp or clinic but the long term soundness and welfare is the most important thing so I would take the dog to the vet and go to the clinic sans dog.

The.dog.doesn't.need.to.be.rushed.to.the vets.

If I wasn't concerned about the dogs physical well being why would I be asking?

Probably because you don't want to be judged by other people at the hearding weekend by taking a dog who is limping.

You wanted to check what other doggie people think before being judged....

The dog is obviously not being rushed, you are still talking about it this long after the event, while the dog is still limping and hobbling..