Breed Suggestions

Guest Tess32

No offence to goldie people, but I have found many of them to be smelly (the dogs, not the people :thumbsup:). They also are very heavy shedders- don't wear anything black!

I'm sure regular bathing and grooming can help to minimize this.

Is she specifically after a large dog?

Agreed. GR's a beautiful, but I have never met a smellier breed! :laugh: And definitely, extreme shedding. They are a wonderful dog for families however.

ETA: The GR's I know are outside dogs however, which I'm sure contributes greatly to the smelly factor

Edited by minxy

My friend's GRs don't seem to smell more than other coated breeds. :thumbsup: They sleep inside.

I wonder how much diet, grooming and lifestyle impact. Feed any dog canned food and it will reek IMO.

Edited by poodlefan

My friend's GRs don't seem to smell more than other coated breeds. :thumbsup: They sleep inside.

I wonder how much diet, grooming and lifestyle impact. Feed any dog canned food and it will reek IMO.

It probably does have a lot to do with it. My OH's dog at his parents house is by far the smelliest animal I have ever met. Washed extremely regularly, but due to having one of those clam shell pools + access to under the house she always reeks. I think she does eat canned dog food too.

I took the OP to mean, that the mum was going to stay at home for 2 weeks, then the dog would be put outside when she was at work and brought inside when the family was home again.

Is that right Tess?

If so that sounds like a large percentage of Dolers. Not everyone can work from home or not work at all. What's the problem?

Also, I would think a couple of young boys could withstand some usual puppy exhuberance.

I have a friend who got a Goldie puppy when her boys were 1 and 3. Billy was a typical boisterous Goldie pup.

6 years on, the boys survived and Billy is a lovely calm adult dog who is their devoted pal.

I am sure they can be full on but the best thing about goldies is their lovely nature.

Guest Tess32

Deelee - Kinda. I doubt for eg the dog would have free reign inside all evening, she thinks of it more of a 'come inside for some play and sleep' and then back out again for bed time.

I've already advised her all the usual stuff she thinks she can do it. I can believe she'd get up in the morning to walk the dog, and they are homebodies on weekends so I think the dog would get a reasonable amount of family time but not as much as most doler dogs.

She wants to go to training etc so while they are not perfect, they are really just the average non doggy family wanting a dog, but at least trying to put some thought into it.

Be happy I talked her out of a GSD!

Lucy was only ever a bit smelly if she needed a brush. I'm not a big fan of regularly bathing dogs (maybe once or twice a year) but brushing regularly keeps them non smelly and clean. Goldies shed year round and shed a lot. I've never met a more tolerant dog than my Lucy was. Or a more gentle self aware dog. She could be restrained by my daughter when they were both just three. I don't expect that would be every Golden though.

A shetland sheepdog.... I had them when the kids were younger, happy to go for a walk, small enough that if not walked can run around backyard, happy to be with family, chase ball ect... and contrary to popular belief, they don't shed THAT much, (i now have English Springers and they Shed WAY more!!!!)

Why get a big dog for a first dog????

A shetland sheepdog.... I had them when the kids were younger, happy to go for a walk, small enough that if not walked can run around backyard, happy to be with family, chase ball ect... and contrary to popular belief, they don't shed THAT much, (i now have English Springers and they Shed WAY more!!!!)

Some people just prefer bigger dogs. I know I do. Little dogs can be just as difficult.

re smelly goldies :D as I said mine did not smell at all, but I know if they get damp and are not dried properly, they can get smelly. and of course EARS when damp can become nasty and smell awful.

I babysat a cav for years, and his owners thought he smelt bad because he was a dog, but he had awful ears and I always took him to the vets when I had him. they could not work out why he smelt even with weekly baths. :laugh: (owners)

also had an aquaintance through obed whose goldie was out all day in a QLD downpour. It rained for a couple of days and he did not 'dry out' and ended up with shocking skin and an awful smell. Poor boy had to be completely shaved and on antibiotics etc for ages :thumbsup:

I know Dolers realise this, but it's also important to let new owners know too.

:laugh:

Some people just prefer bigger dogs. I know I do. Little dogs can be just as difficult.

Yea, I must admit I couldn't imagine ever getting a little dog

Guest Tess32

A lot of the shelties I've met have been a little nervy, and might be a bit funny around two young boys...

Any thoughts?

I think if long hair wasn't an issue a Collie temperament would suit a little better - calmer and less barky than shelties.

In regard to the smelliness I think any breed of dog can become smelly, its more about the grooming and care they receive.

I have met smelly poodles before when many people say these dogs don't smell at all (a lie)

I've met heaps of smelly labs but I also have a lab and she is not smelly at all (or maybe i just can't smell it myself :thumbsup:) as I do regular grooming with her and she is mainly an inside dog.

Hey,

I have a beautiful female kelpie X. Had a male before (more smelly!)

Good size, fun-loving and VERY friendly.

Intelligent, training a treat.

Not too long hair.

Loyal.

Please save a life and search the animal rescues and shelters first!