Pet Insurance

Archerlove

I don't have it. It was going to cost me $60/mth for my two dogs. Over the ten years I have been a dog owner I would have paid out $7200 in insurance whereas emergency vet work has only cost me about $3000.

I just whack an extra $20/wk into my mortgage and will do a redraw if there is an emergency.

I had a look into this today. I've only checked on Medibank so far, but it sounded really quite reasonable to me.

The top cover (Gold) which covers accidental + illness would cost me $25.68 per month for an Akita puppy (which I will be getting at the end of the year). I chose the highest excess option ($500, instead of $100 or $200) to reduce the monthly rate, as if I ever have to pay the $500 excess I can easily chuck that on my credit card if I was short of cash at the time. For $300ish a year, it definitely sounds worth it to me. Oh, that's also with a 10% discount for already being a Medibank Private member.

A lot of members on here said they are with MP, or Pet Insurance Australia. I'm going to have a look if they do online quotes now to compare.

You can do the MP quote online, so I recommend having a look as it tells you what is and isn't included for each level of cover.

ETA: Just remembered the other one recommended on here - Pet Plan

Edited by minxy

Just got quotes from a few other places.

1300insurance.com.au quoted me $15.42 per month for the same cover

Pet Insurance Australia - $15.42

RSPCA - $48.18

Pet Plan - $38.85

As you can see, the quotes have been really varied so it pays to look around. I've only done some quick quotes, so I'd need to look into the fine print more before I decide

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with PetPlan. At one stage I had wished I'd chosen someone else as I needed to make a claim (divided into 3 separate issues because we really didn't know what was wrong) and all 3 were denied - even one of them which was only because they'd misread a date on a report. I had to 'fight' them for all 3 claims and felt very frustrated and disillusioned at the time. The claims went to the review board and were eventually honoured.

I had another claim to submit more recently and I was holding my breath as I didn't know if they were going to resist and give me a hard time again, but I have to say that this time around they were really good and the claim was processed, honoured and paid in good time. My faith is restored.

Edited by Erny

Does anyone know if there's an ombudsman who can help with insurance? The company we are with doesn't want to pay the claim.

Bonnie Pup - you should have the right to a review. Have you taken that avenue yet?

Does anyone know if there's an ombudsman who can help with insurance? The company we are with doesn't want to pay the claim.

Bonnie Pup - you should have the right to a review. Have you taken that avenue yet?

Yes and haven't heard back. I think they're twisting the words of the PDS to get out of paying.

I looked into it when we got G, especially due to the known issues the breed ay encounter. But it worked out that we weren't going to be covered for the things I wanted coverage for, and to insure her was going to cost as much as it costs for my own health insurance. We decided we would cross that bridge if and when we come to it. As someone said - draw on the mortgage if we need to...

Does anyone have opinions on pet insurance? Is it worth having? What does/ should it cover? Which companies offer best rates?

Thank you in advance. FYI I have a 9 week old Lab .

I have a print out of all the health Funds side by side that the Uni vet gave me I am happy to email it to anyone as I cant work out to post it here

email me on

[email protected] if you wnat a copy!

We got Medibank Private Gold Paws for our two. We got it because CKCS can have issues and we wanted to make sure we always had cover. Obviously we would need to pay for the treatment and then claim but we wanted that backing. I am with Medibank private so we got 10% off for that and then we got an additional 10% (I believe) for insuring a 2nd pet. We pay the 1st $200 excess so last nights $186 trip to the vet was not coverable, but Gold Paws does cover again certain regular care stuff each year like vaccinations etc.

Within 2 months of getting it, our little one had to have a hernia removed whilst under for his desexing, we got $468 back. We pay $70 for the 2 per month so with just 1 claim we had recouped half our money. I know we could save it etc but that just doesn't happen. Our vet said last night that he offers payment plans, but realistically you are still paying for the treatment. If one of ours had a heart issue or needed surgery and it was $1000's, we would be covered.

I guess I am predisposed to Private Insurance having had it for myself since I was a child. I am happy I got it for my two :laugh:

Susan

I swapped my 2 from PetPlan to PIA with Medibank because of issues with the breed I have - long atory but Bloodhounds aren't in the restricted breed list but are still a restricted breed according to them - but I haven;t had to claim - touch wood - so can;t speak about that - I do feel better having them covered though

I am with Prosure and have made claims and all has been paid without a hassle. They text you when they recieve your claim and tell you an approximate time for settlement. Very quick, usually within 14 days. I would recommend them without hesitation :laugh:

Yes and haven't heard back. I think they're twisting the words of the PDS to get out of paying.

Review can take a while - but DO NOT ALLOW them to twist words. Make sure that they are clarified, if there is any room for mis-interpretation. I would expect that the Ombudsman (and I think there is one - google "Insurance Ombudsman" in your area) would want to know that this has been done (in writing) before you take the matter to him/her. S/he would probably also suggest you obtain the decision of the review committee first as well.

I'm not an expert, so I'm only guessing.

I am with medibank private and I pay just over $60 a month for three dogs that is the middle of the range coverage as I have the three insured with them they do give me a discount. I have been with them since March 2009 and would not take my business anywhere else. I have never made a claim but it gives me such peace of mind.

I am with Prosure and have made claims and all has been paid without a hassle. They text you when they recieve your claim and tell you an approximate time for settlement. Very quick, usually within 14 days. I would recommend them without hesitation :laugh:

Same here. We have been quite unlucky, and a fair few procedures (incl. broken leg shortly after joining) were necessary. PROSURE have been very good so far. :mad Pepper has top cover. I like that we pay 20% each claim, company balance. Good arrangement, if you have many smaller unconnected issues, I think.