Lanscaping Services

sas

After trying to search for 'DIGGING' and nothing coming up, I would appreciate any advice on preventing pooch from providing me with free lanscaping services...I've not been able to catch him in the act as yet.

Digging in taking place in garden beds and not on the lawn itself and can happen when he is left alone for even a minimum of 30 minutes, toys and another dog present to prevent boredom.

Apart from placing a fence around my garden does anyone have any suggestions?

Side note: pooch is a foster dog in his first week with us.

To save you the bother I found a fence didn't work - he just jumped over it. I tent pegged plastic coated wire over the garden bed and gave up growing plants in between the shrubs.

All I can suggest is more toys like a kong, huge bones, heaps of exercise. I have never had any luck with garden deterrents but have been hesitant to use some of them because of safety issues, eg moth balls. Usually it is just a stage and they grow out of it but there are the exceptions, of course!

He's not digging in the same spot and surely it can't be boredom can it if it happens within a 30 minute period?

We have a whole toy store here hehehe

Now...I can't tell him off can I if I don't catch him red handed?

Have you tried providing a sandbox for digging? Some say that having it as an available outlet for their urge to dig stops them going all over the yard :mad

Nat

You need a digging box, not sure what you have around to make a sand area and hide treats in there, don't let him see you putting them in. Then show him.The idea then is he will only dig there.This works for a puppy but a foster??

If the dog sees you digging apparently they think you are looking for bones so they go digging to find one for you. Perhaps he is just showing his appreciation for looking after him :mad

I would have to say that the poo method does not always work :mad My older boy just digs it out the way and continues in his efforts at landscaping my lawn. I wish it would work actually, but perhaps i'll give it another go...lol.

But yes...i too would like to know what happens to all the dirt they dig out, i have spent oodles on buying dirt to refill the holes as i can never scrape up enough dirt from the surrounding area to fill the hole in.

As to the black pepper....well tried that, no success...was told chilli power or curry powder, both times no success either. Mind you the rotten sod of a dog was snuffling around licking up the curry and chilli powder :mad ,darn dog.

Edited by KitKat

A trainer suggested spreading black pepper to discourage digging holes. Haven't tried it yet 'cause it sounds a bit mean. :)

:) ..Where I was working..piglets used to escape & dig up the lawn...I got sick of chasing them away, & tried the pepper.

It worked!!!!!

they had a dig..spent a couple of minutes sneezing, went to dig again, thought..."naaaah", & didn't return!!

The vet nurse at our puppy preschool suggested blowing up a balloon and burying that where they normally dig and sit back and watch the fun! Of course, you couldn't do this all over the back yard or when you're not there (in case they ate the balloon). Never tried it but thought it was an interesting suggestion. :)

A trainer suggested spreading black pepper to discourage digging holes.  Haven't tried it yet 'cause it sounds a bit mean. :)

they had a dig..spent a couple of minutes sneezing, went to dig again, thought..."naaaah", & didn't return!!

Thanks Persephone, if all it does is make them sneeze then maybe it's worth a try.

My hand is up for the sandpit theory - although when we moved to the house it was already there!

Nina kept her digging to the sandpit, but Ted digs holes in other places. He seems to use them to lie in to keep cool (although they already have a cool shaded area and beds off the ground outside). They are always on the fence lines, in the shade and not in the middle of the lawn and we've found him lying in them - just doggie size too! Ted didn't dig any holes until the little "doggie pool" we also had set up for them was punctured beyond repair and removed. I think he's just looking for somewhere really cool to lie down. So your case might not be boredom - is it hot where you are?

Nina has put a stop to this by putting one of her balls in every single hole - so now Ted won't lie in them!! That solution isn't particularly useful to you though as putting something in the hole might mean that he just digs new ones!!

I was watching my dog today as we were walking through a park, he started walking very slowly and watching where he was putting his feet. I had a closer look and he was actually side stepping dog poo!!! Such a sensitive boy didn't want to walk through it.

If you leave toys outside, the dog gets used to them, so you may want to rotate them around a bit.

Hi,

We live near the beach and the tide was way out tonight.

My two were just going around, paddling, sniffing jelly fish etc., when along came a guy with a JRT who was "digging to China" between the guys feet. Bloke said he doesn't do it at home, just down at the beach. The dog was having a blast.

Maybe your problem could be solved by giving the dog a sand pit or, if your lucky like us, you could take him/her to the beach when the tide's out.

Henrynchlo (and dogs who are rinsed off and happily in bed). :party::rofl:

Ello everyone,

Thanks heaps for all your suggestions!

But....GUESS WHAT!!!!! A nice lady came to see Calum (foster pooch) this evening and loves him...fingers crossed it all works out.

I want to know where all the dirt dug out of the holes actually goes, when it comes time to fill the hole back in I can't find it.

:D Me neither, I think it IS the dirt fairies :D

He's adopted....YAY

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDD, only a week in care and he's fostered :p

Job well done SAS :rolleyes:

Love

Riles