For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

I am not sure about the showing, are his testicles reasonably normally sized??

Some say you shouldn't, others have no issue with it so I guess the choice is yours. As far as I am aware the can be shown and it is not banned under any ANKC rules thus far.

Fingers and paws crossed he gets some testosterone back soon!!

Rommi has come into season so we will be mating her soon. Fingers crossed he has more swimmers than he had when we did a semen test!!

• 1 month later...

I am very pleased to update that Rommi was ultrasounded yesterday and is carrying puppies. They said they could see three, but considering she got a little pot from around 4 weeks I am thinking there may be more than three.

Anyway it has been - I think - around Three years or slightly under from when Lewis first got his implant until now for this to happen. On her last season 7 months ago we got him tested and he had low fertility, that and other factors meant I waited until this season to do the mating.

So now we are expecting at least 3 babies :)

• 1 month later...

Wow, it seems like just yesterday you posted that update OSoswift. The photos I've seen of the puppies are beautiful, they're so big already.

Ok, an update on my dog in case it helps anyone thinking of using Suprelorin. He had a 12 month implant put in August 2012. He had previously had a 6 month implant that seemed to wear off right on cue around 6 months later.

Well, the 12 month reminder came from the vet's today. Only last night I commented to my OH that Bruno's testicles were making a comeback. laugh.gif I have no idea of his fertility and never will, as Bruno is a limited register pet. I assume that his size may be an influence on how long the implant lasts, but I don't really know. He is 29kg and the duration guidelines appear to be accurate for him.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that my boy who had a 6 month implant at age 9.5 years old, which appeared to wear off 14 months later, has sired a litter of 10 pups at 11 years old! :thumbsup: About 19 months after his implant. I'm glad I didn't get him a 12 month implant going by reports in here.

Happy to report that my boy who had a 6 month implant at age 9.5 years old, which appeared to wear off 14 months later, has sired a litter of 10 pups at 11 years old! :thumbsup: About 19 months after his implant. I'm glad I didn't get him a 12 month implant going by reports in here.

Oh exciting FHRP.

Oh that is great news :) And yes I would never go a 12 month implant ever again!

Can't wait to see babies :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm watching too as I had my boy done with the 12 month one in June. He is. 65kg bullmastiff who has had his semen tested prior. So will watch and wait.

Hi - just wondering how your boy went? I have a 63kg male bull mastiff that we had implanted 20 April 2012. I really wish I had of found this forum prior to the implantation as the vet told us two things and two things only 1) 12 months 2) reversible!!!

Cuda (male) was so randy lol we just had to separate them as he just would not leave Kira (female) alone..... so much so that when we did separate them he chewed through the wire fence to get to her!!!! She came into season May 2013 and Cuda showed no interest, but I thought the implant may still be wearing off so didn't think too much of it, but she came into season again in October and again nothing - totally different dog. She would back up to him, move her tail to the side and present herself and he wouldn't even so much as sniff. We took them both into the vet, the vet managed to get an erection from Cuda but no sperm was produced. I am so annoyed - the vet is contacting me today at 9am, as I've only learnt all this new information in the past 2 days. I've printed out the 38 page technical file from the companies website - and I quote "the majority of dogs will regain normal fertility within one year after the 4.7mg implantation (6 mth one) and within 2.5 years after 9.4mg implantation (12 mth). WHY ON EARTH don't they just call it 12 mth and 2.5 yrs implant. So annoyed it's not funny. Cuda is going on 18 mths after implantation and if these figures are correct looks like we have another year to wait which will make him 6 years old - is that too old to breed? I will be devastated as he is such a gorgeous dog both in looks and temperament I don't want another "stud" dog which was the vets solution. grrrrr

I also found similar info well after I realised there were issues.

I would not think 6years old would be too old to breed a male dog. He may possible have some issues doing the matings purely due to lack of experience that many stud dogs have gain earlier in their life.

I remember reading 80% regain their testosterone levels by 12 months with 95% by two years (maybe 2.5years??). However on the info I was reading that was not a return of sperm, purely a return to the level of testosterone needed to produce viable sperm.

It appears that many dogs that have the 12month implant have it not wear off for around 2.5 years.

Part of the reason I started this thread was that information appeared to be so lacking on the use or long term consequences of this product. My hope is if it helps one person make a betetr informed decision then I have achieved what I started out to. In some circumstances it may still be the best way to go, but my thoughts are if you want a dog as a future stud dog don't use it or if you need to collect them first as there is every chance they will have delayed return to sperm production or a reasonable chance it may not come back at all!

Edited by OSoSwift

Hopefully your boy will be fertile again when your bitch is next in season Nicinoo1907. 6 isn't too old to breed from a male, my own boy has sired a litter at 11 years old and has another on the way! He's not a giant breed, but that probably makes the ages more comparable. If Cuda has physical issues due to age and size then you could have an AI done?

This thread has been very informative and I have to say I am so glad the vet only had 6 month implants on hand when I got my boy done, which is what I wanted for him anyway. This information should be more readily available, however remember that the alternative to chemical castration is far more permanent :) Ideally there should be no need to castrate our stud dogs temporarily anyway, but if I ever have to again I'll be collecting from him first (which I did do this time).

I have had no problems at all with the Supelorin implant, same as many other people, of course there will be variations when dealing with living animals, every animal is individual. If you have an animal that is so valuable to your Breeding program then simply don't mess with it's hormones, it is simple really.

Sometimes it is not that easy. Some of the dogs mentioned here who have had to have it for medical issues. They used this so as not to have to castrate them but to control a medical issue.

If it isn't going to wear off in 12 months, fine, just tell people the truth and show actual data.

Any interference with a dogs hormones risks affecting their fertility and their involvement in a breeding program, I would think that anyone using a product for whatever reason would have to understand that it is a risk. I certainly used Suprelorin with the understanding that I may miss the boat when it came to using my dog. For the majority it works just they way it is intended.

I also found similar info well after I realised there were issues.

I would not think 6years old would be too old to breed a male dog. He may possible have some issues doing the matings purely due to lack of experience that many stud dogs have gain earlier in their life.

I remember reading 80% regain their testosterone levels by 12 months with 95% by two years (maybe 2.5years??). However on the info I was reading that was not a return of sperm, purely a return to the level of testosterone needed to produce viable sperm.

It appears that many dogs that have the 12month implant have it not wear off for around 2.5 years.

Part of the reason I started this thread was that information appeared to be so lacking on the use or long term consequences of this product. My hope is if it helps one person make a betetr informed decision then I have achieved what I started out to. In some circumstances it may still be the best way to go, but my thoughts are if you want a dog as a future stud dog don't use it or if you need to collect them first as there is every chance they will have delayed return to sperm production or a reasonable chance it may not come back at all!

Thanks for that - the Vet called me yesterday as he did his own research. He is also very annoyed as he didn't know any of this when we implanted Cuda. The company told him 12 months that was it. He said he has stopped using it until he can collect more data. He wants us to bring Cuda in next Wednesday to see if he can get a semen sample - honestly I think it's a waste of time as he tried that 6 weeks ago with no luck.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

Sometimes it is not that easy. Some of the dogs mentioned here who have had to have it for medical issues. They used this so as not to have to castrate them but to control a medical issue.

If it isn't going to wear off in 12 months, fine, just tell people the truth and show actual data.

Exactly and I trusted the information that was presented to me.......by a trained professional in the veterinary field.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Chases testes semi to be firmer, but not bigger. And tonight he actually mounted my girl who is in season, only early in, but it was very out of the ordinary for him so It sounds like it's finally starting to wear off. I've noticed he is a bit more testy to, not as chilled as he normally is. Fingers crossed his medical problem does not return! It's been almost 2.5 years since it was put in.

Yep that sounds like it may well be. Lewis's were quite small and soft, firmed up and got a little bit bigger, then his behaviour was more entire dog like, then it may have even been a couple more months and suddenly they were back to full size ( he had some chaffing issues for a little bit) and it was all back to normal.

Fingers crossed he is okay and the medical issue has resolved!