For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

Whip is coming up to 2 years in April since getting the 12month implant. About the 12 month mark his testicles became firm again and there were a few behavioural changes but there has been no change in size as of yet. A month or so ago he was able to free run with a bitch in season and showed no interest in her whatsoever (although his love of the beach would probably overrule anything :laugh: ) He was originally going to be used later this year over Rush, but he seems like he will be a perfect match for Shock (who is only 11months) so Rush will outcrossed and he wont be needed for another few years. Hopefully by the time he is needed everything will be back to normal.

• 1 month later...

I have to say I have found this thread the most valuable piece of information on the internet in regards to Suprelorin! I've done so much reading but never found as much info as this thread, so thank you OSoSwift for starting this and continuing to document your experiences with it! :)

My Duke (English Stafford) had the 6 month injection exactly 12 months ago. He had no significant weight gains and his temperament was pretty much the same, although just a touch less hyperactive (was a 10 months old staffy though so didn't expect much). Although his testis have started growing back in the past few months, they aren't nearly the size that they used to be. His lipstick has started to protrude again in the past 2 months and he has started marking things on our walks, so that's a good sign. Tomorrow he is going in to hang out with one of the vets bitches that is coming into season, followed by a semen test to see whether his fertility has returned or not. He has been around in season bitches before and gone nuts over them (pre-implant), so I'm hoping it all comes back to him!

Again, thanks for this thread! I was extremely anxious before I found it due to him not 'looking' entire a full 6 months after the drug supposedly wore off. I'll let you know how it goes, if anyone is interested :)

Thanks for your contributions Nudgie.

This was started due to the lack of information on the net, so I am very glad it could help you.

I wouldn't panic yet, I found that Lewis's testicles started increasing in size then plateau'd before suddenly getting rather large, rather quickly!

I have heard up to 18months from implant to wearing off completely for a 6 month implant.

Please keep us updated :)

• 3 months later...

Has anyone noticed a surge in hormones as the implant wears off?

I have a male that was given a 6 month implant at approx 3.5 years, followed up with a 12 month implant approx 7 months after the first.

He is now 18 months post the 12 month implant, testicles have returned to their normal size and he's behaving like a teenage boy! Overly interested in my female (who is not in season), marking, mounting, pushing boundaries, increased energy levels and just generally obnoxious. It's a very noticeable contrast in his behaviour compared to what it was only a month ago or even prior to the suprelorin.

Just wondering if this is 'normal'?

On a more positive note his muscle tone is returning to normal. Over the past 12 months he had become quite 'soft' in muscle and was putting on weight even after cutting his daily food intake by over 30% which had been a concern.

ETA, the dog is now close to 6 years old

Edited by Red Fox

I noticed a fairly quick increase in territory marking, sniffing and tasting urine etc but no humping, peeing in the wrong spot ie inside or being obnoxious etc. Having said that my boy is quite soft normally. Yes muscle tone etc did increase fairly quickly, and testicles increased quickly.

I thought I would post a copy of the email from Vibrac that I got in June 2014.....

It seems to me there is a change in what was being told to consumers since the thread was started.

Thank you for your query regarding the use of suprelorin implant for your dog.

Just to reinforce what we discussed:

The purpose of the implant is to reduce testosterone to a level to cause infertility - ie no sperm production. It is recommended to restrict contact with females for 4-6 weeks after implantation as there may still be viable sperm stored in the reproductive tract. Unfortunately the implant may not prevent mating and a tie so you may still want to consider complete separation from bitches in season, however if mating should occur it should be non-fertile (after the initial 6 week period).

It can take 8-10 months for fertility to return post implantation of the 6 month implant

It can take 2-21/2 years for fertility to return post implantation of a 12 month implant - we would therefore generally recommend using a 6m implant in dogs intended for future breeding.

All dogs are variable - some may return to fertility sooner and others later

I have attached a general brochure for you and your veterinarian should be able to provide you with further information

Please don't hesitate to contact me or your veterinarian if you have any further questions,

It's a worry about the change of info over the years since this thread started. Or am I being unrealistic?

I noticed a fairly quick increase in territory marking, sniffing and tasting urine etc but no humping, peeing in the wrong spot ie inside or being obnoxious etc. Having said that my boy is quite soft normally. Yes muscle tone etc did increase fairly quickly, and testicles increased quickly.

Did the behaviour settle over time?

Behaving like an entire dog is expected, but he's much more full on that prior to the implant. Or maybe I have just forgotten embarrass.gif

Did the behaviour settle over time?

Behaving like an entire dog is expected, but he's much more full on that prior to the implant. Or maybe I have just forgotten embarrass.gif

He wasn't really bad and I prefer him entire - behaviour and temperamant wise - so it didn't settle but nothing he did was inappropriate just an increase in marking and tasting urine etc.

When I was looking for info adn started this thread, nowhere on any page - and trust me I read for hourse and days and weeks, did I find that information. I did find some information similar on an official document submitted by the company when looking to register the product in Europe.

I am thinking they did not do enough study on this product prior to releasing the product and the guidlines. The vet I went to pushed me towards the 12 month implant as I didn't want to breed for 12 months at least and she said the 6 month one would wear off to soon and we would be back at the beginning with his particular issue. At no stage was I told any of that and had I known I would definately gone the 6 month implant.

ETA the 2 to 2.5 years for the 12 month implant is what seems to be showing up in this thread.

Edited by OSoSwift

For us it has been approx 19-20 months. 38-40kg dog done at the beginning of November 2012.

However that is going on observation alone - not testing.

ETA, I prefer my boy entire too as he has a lot more energy. Unfortunately I have a female that cycles 4-5 monthly so it will really depend on how much this stresses him out as to whether I have him done again. (he was given the first implant prior to her first season and has never shown any interest before).

Edited by Red Fox

For us it has been approx 19-20 months. 38-40kg dog done at the beginning of November 2012.

However that is going on observation alone - not testing.

ETA, I prefer my boy entire too as he has a lot more energy. Unfortunately I have a female that cycles 4-5 monthly so it will really depend on how much this stresses him out as to whether I have him done again. (he was given the first implant prior to her first season and has never shown any interest before).

From the top of my head my boy was around 22 months post implant When he got a semen test and they said he had low fertility. Around 7 to 8 months later he mated my bitch who had 5 puppies.

Unless he gets unwell or a medical condition caused by stress hormones etc from her being in season it is only 3 to 4 weeks, my boy used to go off his food a bit and whinge a bit but other than that he wasn't to bad. He was worse when he was actually mating her, shredded soft crate anyone :)

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I am currently considering this for my 14 month old male Stafford. He has recently started to try to mate with my 6.5yro desexed male. Its not a dominance thing, its a sexual thing. He does the whole flirty dance, ears up, tail up, leaping around like a nufty. My older boy is so layed back that he put up with it for a bit, but now things are getting very snarly. I don't want the situation to get out of hand, but I also dont want to desex my younger male as I show him and I also want him to continue to develop to full maturity.

Since its been over 12 months since anything has been written on this thread, Im wondering what people's experience is now, 12 months on. Im not sure that Im worried about breeding with my male, I dont have a bitch to breed him with, or a program and I figure there are enough breeders out there with breeding programs and good stock, so I probably dont need to breed with him...

Anyway, any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

My boy had a 12 month implant in April 2011 he still hasn't returned to normal. I was hoping to use him this year but it looks like he may never be used again.

Been quite a while since I've been on these forums but thought I'd five an update on my boy.

6 months ago we tried to get a sample from my boy. Managed only a few drops. There was sperm but not much and it want of quality either.

Fast forward to yesterday. Have a bitch on season who I really wanted to use this boy over but had resigned to the fact we may never use him. He's driving me crazy with her in season and ready so we head off to the vets. Talk about a super keen dog, vet only had to touch him and he was all for it lol

So long story short he's quality and quantity is amazing he even has a far better sperm count to before the implant.

Only took 4 1/2 years to wear off.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My boy has just turned 18 months and have just had the implant done. He seems to be very sleepy. Is this normal to start with? I hope this isn't going to be his drive level from now on :(

He was always a good boy but sometimes tested other entires his own age to see who was more dominant. Other than that he is very well behaved. Has anyone found a decrease in testosterone fueled behaviour? Or was the behaviour fairly unaltered?

Thanks very much!

My Whippet ended up super soft and hard to train because of it.

Normally he is pushy and bounce and wirks longer and hard than any of my dogs.

When he had this he was super soft. I once accidentally stepped on his toe when I sent him for a jump but he missed the cue. It took me 6 weeks to get him near a jump with me anywhere near him.

Once the implant wore off it was business as usual.

This is why he will never be castrated unless medically necessary..