For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

Thanks so much for your reply OSoSwift.

He seems back to his normal self now which is a relief although he does seem slightly softer or not as "brave" as he was even a few weeks ago. No difference in marking behaviour yet as it only went in two weeks ago and i have a bitch in season atm too.

• 5 years later...
On 8/8/2012 at 4:23 AM, OSoSwift said:

Well it has been two years since he had the Suprelorin implant and nothing has changed since June. I am assuming this means he is still infertile. I will be semen testing him when Rommi comes into season next - around October.

His testicles are still around half normal size but firmer. His attitude is as per before the implant.

I can still feel a small amount of the implant. I am not sure if this is entirely normal(been told yes and no it should completely disappear by two different vets)I am wondering if due to a lack of body fat, the implant has been absorbed more slowly than if it was in a breed with a higher percentage of bodyfat - all speculation on my behalf. I am wondering if the fact I can feel some implant means that there is still an amount of the drug circulating therefore causing the infertility??? Once again speculation.

I would recommend anyone having to get this to go with the 6 month implant as by what I have read it "could" last 12 months and it isn't unusual for the 12 month one to last 2 years!

Hi there OhSoSwift.  I’m wondering if Lewis has sired any pups since his Suprelorin 12 mth implant and how long it took to happen ?  I have a ShihTzu was (regrettably) given 12 mth implant at 5 mths old, that was Nov 2019 and now it’s Nov 2022 and his balls haven’t filled and he has a hard time getting interested enough to have an erection, as well as sexually inexperienced and doesn’t know exactly what needs to happen.  It’s so frustrating for my girl and us - I wish I had of seen this site before getting the implant.  Did you know they recommend use of same 12 month Suprelorin implant (same as that put in my tiny ShihTzu)  in horses!!! 
My vet gave no cautions or the like on possible infertility especially in sexually inexperienced males or the long lonnnnnng lasting effects of it in their system. I’m hopeful he will make a full return to fertility and know and be able to do what is needed to get the job done right, on next heat. Mind you I’ve been saying this for last two years now…I’m starting to consider getting my girl studded elswhere or have her sterilised. It’s terribly upsetting for her and us in every heat. What ages was your Lewis when the implant went in?  Thanks for sharing.