For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

Does the implant 'dissolve" over the time it is implanted or do you need to get it removed?

Can you get it removed early if you need to?

How many of you have had the implant and then used the dog at Stud successfully

Any other info greatly appreciated

I am not overly sold on it, but am considering using it of advice of my vet for a medical reason rather than contraceptive reason.

As far as i know they are available for both, I have read their website, but was only really looking for the boys.

There is a 1% chance of becoming permanently infertile.

It has much less potential side effects than any of the heat supressing injections you can get for bitches.

Am I correct in thinking the implant is available for both dogs and bitches?

How likely are permanent side effects? ie: infertility

I believe that the implant was actually created for bitches but it works as well with dogs.

The implant itself does not dissolve over time.

Don't know about the infertility stats so I'd need to rely on others who post.

The 'chip' does dissolve over time. As to whether it could be removed early, I guess if it hasn't fully dissolved you could surgically remove it.

It's registered for use in Males but is occasionally used in bitches for female incontinence, with some success. Not sure about anything to do with female reproduction as I've never seen or heard of it used in this instance.

We used it on a dog a few years back with chronic prostatitis as the owner didn't want to desex. It was successful. We also used it as a form of chemical castration in a show dog for 12months, with 2 separate 6monthly implants. The dog was never bred from so can't help you there with fertility.

The 'chip' does dissolve over time. As to whether it could be removed early, I guess if it hasn't fully dissolved you could surgically remove it.

Sorry. My bad. I was informed (by a Vet) to the contrary.

AH thanks for that Stormie.

Due to the breed I have you feel everything. Such as his microchip -which is halfway down his shoulder. I didn't want bits of stuff left in my dog I could feel often. The vet told me it stayed, but I had read it dissolved, so good to hear it does.

I have heard other have bref successfully after the implant so that s as much of a concern for me. And I guess the removing early doesn't matter just curious more than anything.

I would have it removed if there was a hard little lump though.

Thank you all - very helpful as always :cry:

I believe the implant is made from some sort of fat which contains the active ingredient. When you put it in, it's a solid but once in the body overtime it slowly disperses, thus slowly releasing the chemical.

Thanks again Stormie, I was thinking something like a small lump like hard plastic, so that is good to hear.

I am thinking that this is the best way to go for Lewis, I just hate mucking aorund with their hormones and bits if there is no real reason. In this instance I do have a reason, but am still wary.

I used 2 x 6mth doses on my Toller before desexing. I didn't breed with him so can't tell you how it went but everything seemed to return to normal after the first 6mth dose. I cant feel any pieces left over now.

Shoemonster has used it on one of her dogs and successfully mated him after.

I'm sure the manufacturer would be happy to supply you with the studies on it if you emailed them.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Thanks SnT All the research I have read indicates the return to fertility etc is good. I am just loath to do things if I don't need to.

He seems to be quite good over the last 4 or so days, so I will speak to the vet tomorrow and go from there I think. If he gets worse again I will do it.

Made my dog FAT!!!

I have used it, and successfully collected him afterwards.

6 month implant, lasted 12 months.

Didn't change his temp as he is laid back enough.

He put on around 8 kilos.

Have heard of people using it for prostate problems, if it's that serious I would rather just desex.

100_8945-1.jpg

100_9088.jpg

100_1142.jpg

Thanks Sway, he does look ahem** well filled out!

It has been recommended for Lewis as they believe he has a swollen prostate due to a rush of testosterone as Rommi is very close to coming into season. If it was a serious Prostate problem then I would desex but he is basically being Randy and is young and otherwise healthy. He has no obnoxious behaviours. They recommended the 12 month implant, I hope it doesn't last something silly like another 12 months!

It is good to hear he was collected successfully afterwards. Did you do semen collections and get them checked for sperm or did you do it when his testicles etc had all come back to normal?

• Like 1

I've used it for my wolfhound, it didn't make him put on any extra weight. I have found though it doesn't last the full 12 months (more like 8 or 9 ). I dont know if this is just because of his size though.

I don't know about the fertility side of things though...so cant help you there.

My old dog has just had his 3rd implant. He is an old boy and I would prefer not to neuter at this stage of his life.

Whether they dissolve or not I don't know but I can't feel any of the implants.

The implant is available for both males and females for fertility reasons as well as there being some anecdotal evidence that they can help with incontinence in both sexes. My old boy is incontinent which was another reason I opted for the implant over neutering.

I had to cancel my appointment yesterday due to having gastro, so didn't get the implant. I was going to talk to the vet regarding leaving it for a bit, but tonight we have had issues again, so at this point I think I will go ahead. I don't like to do it, but don't want to leave things as they are.

I guess I will have to take photos of his testicles for research purposes incase anyone else gets on here in a little while asking about it! :laugh:

Made my dog FAT!!!

I have used it, and successfully collected him afterwards.

6 month implant, lasted 12 months.

Didn't change his temp as he is laid back enough.

He put on around 8 kilos.

Have heard of people using it for prostate problems, if it's that serious I would rather just desex.

100_8945-1.jpg

100_9088.jpg

100_1142.jpg

Agreed... I had my boy on it and he didn't stack on that much weight and returned to full fertility no problems..

But my bitch is on it now - 1 year dose - and she's a porker! Well, a porker from her skinny days.... ;)