For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

I am not too worried about weight gain, I will just cut abck food and increase exercise and if it doesn't work, the weight will come off when the implant goes. Might be handy for thos dogs who don't gain weight easily??

Lewis had his today and holy crap what a big needle. Quite a bit bigger than the microchip one. I looked at the needle and said be prepared he might scream so don't jump! He didn't but it took a bit to get through the skin. Lewis was very brave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been 4 and a half weeks since his implant.

Rommi came into seaon 8 days ago. Before her season (around 2 weeks) he was trying to have his way with her and forever had his nose in her bits.

Yesterday I decided I would see what happened when I brought them together on lead and controlled of course to avoid a mating even though I was told after 4 weeks there would be no fertile matings. He thought her backend smelled good, then when ummm -hang on I was playing with my ball, tore off got his ball and started playing.

Today he couldn't care less about her, but does still taste her wee.

He has not attempted to mount her even when she has backed up to him and told him exactly what is on her mind, he just moves off and gets a toy - totally blows me away!

His testicles have shrunk by about a third and are softer than they were originally.

I was wondering out of interest what others have paid for the 12month Suprelorin implant???????

From memory was $156 including consultation for a Great Dane.

A lot of the sniffing and licking is learned behaviour.

It has been 4 and a half weeks since his implant.

Rommi came into seaon 8 days ago. Before her season (around 2 weeks) he was trying to have his way with her and forever had his nose in her bits.

Yesterday I decided I would see what happened when I brought them together on lead and controlled of course to avoid a mating even though I was told after 4 weeks there would be no fertile matings. He thought her backend smelled good, then when ummm -hang on I was playing with my ball, tore off got his ball and started playing.

He has not attempted to mount her even when she has backed up to him and told him exactly what is on her mind, he just moves off and gets a toy - totally blows me away!

His testicles have shrunk by about a third and are softer than they were originally.

I am glad you have had sucess!!

Oh goody - i wanted to search this topic :) RnL thankyou for the updates too. Small havanese and big needle :o I also get the microchip thankyou. Toby has one barely noticible but my bitch, hers seems huge and I hate the feel of it!

I have a 7 month old bitch and 18 month old dog. 18 month old isnt being shown currently and we dont want any accidents so have been considering this as an option. I also have ALOT of trouble keeping weight on him so Sway those pics are actually a plus for me. Hes under weight currently as hes ben on kibble completely for almost 2 weeks and droped weight at the kennels.

Bec

I have to amend a little !

At day 14 of Rommi's cycle he had started trying to mate her, not just a bit of a hump but yep trying. Needless to say I am glad he has no idea where to put it and they are now seperated again (they were only together when I was supervising). Even though I am assured he will not have the sperm to create babies, I don't want Rommi mated needlessly and have the potential to maybe introduce an infection.

It also tells me even though I though she was standing around day 10 she wasn't really until day 14! Very much a tart at the moment!

It cost me $250 which included a revisit, not a full consult as he had been seen before, and this was a follow on.

My old boy will still try to mount my bitch but he isn't fertile (hopefully) so would be unable to produce pups. I did notice that his interest after the implant is much less than before the implant but he is still interested. I keep them apart for the couple of days he is wanting to mate but more because he is old and I don't want him to overdo it.

I have not had him put on weight because of the implant.

We used it on a male many years ago now. He didn't put any extra weight on that I can remember.

His 6 month implant lasted for over 12 months though - however he successfully had a litter 15 months after the implant and another one about 2.5 years after implant :laugh:

Our 14 year old Stafford would try to mate with her if he could and he is desexed. Rommi doesn't care if she is standing, he comes within cooee of her behind, and she shaves mm's of his ears! Not so with Lewis - tart! Lewis has the 12 month implant so I hope it doesn't last 2 years or something!

His weight is as per normal as is his lala sooky boy attitude :laugh:

I was wondering out of interest what others have paid for the 12month Suprelorin implant???????

From memory was $156 including consultation for a Great Dane.

A lot of the sniffing and licking is learned behaviour.

That's a good price Sway...I paid $195 for the implant which I had to prepay before ordering (they dont get much call for it apparently )so with consult it cost $245

• 1 month later...

A quick update.

Two and a half months on and Lewis has not had any weight issues, he is still a sook as per normal.

The most noticable thing is his testicles haven't shrunk by one third, I think they have shrunk to one third the size they were. From large grapes to mere Sultana grapes!

They are so small when it is cold you would think he was desexed. I do not think he could be shown as his testicles are very small and reasonably soft. Not "normal" as required in the standard.

Oh and after I thought he was being oh so well behaved re Rommi being in season, he was just biding his time. When she was properly in standing season he was happily trying to oblige! Will see what her next season brings!

Other than the testicle size there are no noticable changes to personality or weight.

• 8 months later...

Another update for anyone that is interested.

We are 11 months post implant. Rommi is in season again - she went 10 and a half months from her last one.

He showed no interest in her until she was standing, then yep going for it so even though I am slacker than I would be if he was not implanted they cannot be left together as he would mate or at least attempt to - his aim isn't that flash!

So they still have to be seperated.

His weight or demeaner has not changed in the 11 months since his implant. I did look at the size of his testicles the other night and maybe they are slightly bigger - but might be my imagination as well. I am still a little freaked out about the 12 month implant lasting 2 years potentially.

I can still feel a bit of the implant in the implant site, I know he is a Whippet so these things are felt quite easily but has anyone else noticed that????

He has been trained and gained an ET title easily since he had it implanted I do not believe his weight or muscle composition has changed at all. He really is much the same as when he didn't have the implant!

Oh well that's us.....for now at least :)

Edited by OSoSwift

• 2 months later...

Another update - just incase anyone was wondering :D

Lewis's implant was due to "wear off" at the beginning of August, but didn't appear to.

I was slightly stressed about this but nothing I can do. By the end of August he was starting to mark his territory more. Since then he has been marking his territory more and not putting up with Rommi pushing him around. This culminated in a bit of an altercation (she can be a pushy bitch when she wants to be)that ended in a puncture wound or two and a bit of a limp, but all is good since then and the pack dynamics changed over night. She no longer pushes him for the hell of it, but he will occassionally allow her to take his toy.

His testicles are getting a little bigger but not near where they were, hope they hurry up!!

One thing I have noticed is he seems to be eating better than he was on the implant. Before he would eat, but it was bits and pieces unless he was in the dog run or the crate and locked in with the food. Now he will happily be given his tea (dogs are fed either side of a glass door) eats steadily and quite often finishes before Rommi which he has never done in the 12 months on the Suprelorin. It may be a coincidence but I guess time will tell. He also seems to have started bulking up a little more in his muscle but not a huge amount, seems just a little "thicker" so to speak.

Fingers crossed his testicles get back to normal soon and the implant is a distant memory and the condition that caused it to begin with does not repeat it's self in the future.

Oh thanks guys :D I didn't know if anyone was reading but thought I would write it down so that people may have a bit of a reference if they were looking at info as I had some, but not a whole load of facts before having to give it to my boy.

Out of interest Lewis is quite soft in personality. He had the implant at 14 months so I am waiting to see if he will go back to his 14mo personality or be more of a "male" so to speak. He is still the brilliant quiet little house dog to live with that has impeccable manners (except for the odd counter surfing incident) so I am quite sure he will always stay like that. I am wondering if it will make his temperment a little harder as such (still soft on the scale of dog personalilities though). It wouldn't be a bad thing if it is as it then may not take me 10 weeks to get him past me stepping on his foot in agility and refusing to work or go near the equipment until we did lots of training!

Will keep updating then if people are taking an interest :D

Edited by OSoSwift

OOS, did you find that the implant lowered the dogs food drive overall? Or he just ate slower/less at actual mealtimes?

I'm considering one for my Ridgie as I'll be bringing home a female shortly (who will be kept entire).

I was planning to go with a 6 month implant to see how it affects him, then to make a decision re desex, vasectomy or continue with the implant. However with the possibility of lowered food drive and a lazier dog I'm dabbling with the idea of a vasectomy instead...