For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

Well Lewis's testicles are definately coming back to size and increasing in firmness.

He was trotting along infront of me when I thought hmmm might have to put some sunscreen on those (one has dark pigment over half of it at the back) then I went hey I can actually see he has testicles without really looking and they are actually sticking out towards the back. Previously - especially when cold - you would be forgiven for thinking he didn't have any!!!

I am looking after a friends Whippet bitch who has come into season and Rommi is due in around 4 weeks so I am wondering if that has helped him out in any way???

When Rommi comes in I will collect him, but they are definately bigger and will be in need of sunscreen again this year - only took 2 years 1 month!

Oh and SK - Lewis would still try to and would mate and tie but would take no interest until she was standing, then as soon as she wasn't didn't care again. So even though he was infertile and had Suprelorin I couldn't keep them together.

Edited by OSoSwift

• 1 month later...

Another update :)

Lewis's testicles are definately back to normal size and feel and have been so for a few weeks.

Rommi came into season so we are booked in to have a semen test done on the 24th of this month. Will posts the results when I have them. Lets hope 2 years and two months after having a 12 month implant administered things are back as they should be!

• 2 weeks later...

OKay another update if anyone is checking.

Today I took Lewis and Rommi in to get a semen sample from Lewis.

We did get a sample and he did have semen. However, his count was lower than they would expecta dn the motility of the sperm were not as good as they would expect. So at this stage yes he is fertile but considered to have low fertility.

The conclusion is, this might just be the way he is naturally, or it might be this way due to having the implant and it only seeming to wear of fairly recently - ie the last two months.

They have said I can re-test him when Rommi is next in season - which is around 10 months - or mate them and if she has no or low puppies then his fertility is low, and if she has a normal to large litter then it is back to normal.

So some good and not so good news.

I am thinking - maybe wishing??? - that the sprem count/motlilty is due to him only fairly recently having the implant wear off fully. It has been probably around 8 weeks now since his testicles started rapily growing back to normal. I guess time will tell if I am right or not.

His behaviour is much more like it should be. He was actually pawing at the fence and whinging this morning where he normally wouldn't do that, yes he would show interest and mate and tie - for long periods - but he is whingy and racing to the fence, really showing a lot of interest compared even to the visiting bitch that came into season in September. I might just be wishing but I guess time will tell. Fingers crossed he gets normal fertility back in time :)

I have been following your updates here. smile.gif

Kei's nuts are coming back and he is returning to his obnoxious self already - 6 months on the dot since he was given the Suprelorin. I will be re-implanting with the 12 month version in a month or so.

Ah I thought I was talking to myself :D

I wonder if the fact he is smaller with lower body fat has anything to do with it???

I will be interested to see how long you boys 12month implant lasts.

The vet was quite shocked when I said the dog WITH testosterone was far better to live with and train than the one without!!!! :)

I wonder if the fact he is smaller with lower body fat has anything to do with it???

The vet was quite shocked when I said the dog WITH testosterone was far better to live with and train than the one without!!!! :)

I have wondered the same. Kei is a solid dog with quite a bit of muscle and weighs around 37kg - so very different to Lewis. I'm assuming that the dose/size of the implant remains the same regardless of the size of the dog, so perhaps the guidelines (ie 6 or 12 months) are a minimum and based on a larger breed dog? It would be interesting to know how very small breeds go with the Suprelorin.

Yes I agree with you. The base is it has to last for at least 12 months in a large dog. So if you have a 5 kg dog that is quite a large dose, could it potentially last 4 times as long???

I hope over time more people add their experiences.

I have wondered the same. Kei is a solid dog with quite a bit of muscle and weighs around 37kg - so very different to Lewis. I'm assuming that the dose/size of the implant remains the same regardless of the size of the dog, so perhaps the guidelines (ie 6 or 12 months) are a minimum and based on a larger breed dog? It would be interesting to know how very small breeds go with the Suprelorin.

I believe the the guidelines are based on a 25kg dog from memory. My dog is 28kg and his 6 month implant seemed to run out right on the 6 month mark ("Hello testicles!"). He has the 12 month implant now.

I'm still watching this thread OSo. :D

I believe the the guidelines are based on a 25kg dog from memory. My dog is 28kg and his 6 month implant seemed to run out right on the 6 month mark ("Hello testicles!"). He has the 12 month implant now.

I'm still watching this thread OSo. :D

Ahh I hadn't seen that guideline. Lewis is 14.5kg or there abouts so I guess that could explain the doubled time. I really wish I had of used the 6 month one!

And here I was thinking I was talking too myself :) I hope over time others find this information useful as I could find very little when I went looking

I'm watching too as I had my boy done with the 12 month one in June. He is. 65kg bullmastiff who has had his semen tested prior. So will watch and wait.

OH lets us know how you go. It would be very interesting to see what his semen sample is like afterwards.

The vet told me yesterday that very little research ahd been done regarding the long term effect of fertility. Their studies measured the amount of testosterone as opposed to actual sperm count, motility, morphology. Therefore they say they return to full fertility but that is only based on the fact their testosterone came back to the required levels not that they have normal result for the sperm.

Why did I not find this when researching, why do I always find this out after the fact!!!

I am reading this too. Haven't done a dog and don't have any plans too but find it all very interesting. If I did get a dog done I think I would get him collected and frozen beforehand for just in case.

Yes I think that would be very wise.

Unfortunately that service is not available down here and I kind of needed to make a fairly quick decision. If I had to do it again in future I would do the 1500km round trip to have the semen stored first, especially since finding out the fact they actually have no data on the amount and quality of semen post implant, just testosterone levels.

I am reading this too. Haven't done a dog and don't have any plans too but find it all very interesting. If I did get a dog done I think I would get him collected and frozen beforehand for just in case.

Unfortunately that service is not available down here and I kind of needed to make a fairly quick decision. If I had to do it again in future I would do the 1500km round trip to have the semen stored first, especially since finding out the fact they actually have no data on the amount and quality of semen post implant, just testosterone levels.

I hope you didn't think I was criticising you. If I hadn't followed your journey I wouldn't have thought of collecting first.

I hope you didn't think I was criticising you. If I hadn't followed your journey I wouldn't have thought of collecting first.

No no not at all, I think it would be the best idea, just the situation at the time meant that I didn't and couldn't easily. But if you even thought you wanted to use that dog down the track I would definately recommend it as they just don't have data on what happens after.

I guess to a degree I believed a little too much what I was told and didn't delve deep enough, not that I had heaps of time on my hands.

I have also heard of it ebing used on an entire bitch for some issues and it ened up a mess. She got a huge cyst on her ovary. None of it was mentioned before her getting the implant, after it was found and removed and the bitch desexed the owner delved depper and Cysts are a potential side effect of the implant on entire bitches. I think there is not enough freely available information on this product. I found more info after stumbling across a european drug registration application than I got from vets or the company in Australia.

I think it's registration has been revoked in some countrys, can't remeber if it is the UK or USA?????

I am following updates as well :D

Darcy's has finally worn completely off (well his behaviour is back to normal).....he got the 6 month one and that was done ohh about 16 months ago!!

Just had him go through Jovis' season for the first time and he was a pain in the butt whereas before he was chilled and calmer, it's the only thing I will miss when he was on the implant. :)

I am yet to get a sperm count done, but I am wanting to next year and hopefully it's good enough to collect to store at the same time as it would have been 2 years since the implant was put in.

Another reading your updates :D I had my 25kg then 9.5 year old boy given a 6 month implant 11 months ago. His testicles are still tiny. I'm wondering at his age if they'll ever come back. I did have him collected before having it done and he had good quality swimmers then.

So are you going ahead with the mating OSo? I haven't read back through the thread but I htink your boy was given the implant for medical reasons? I assume there's no recurrence??

Edited by FHRP

Another reading your updates :D I had my 25kg then 9.5 year old boy given a 6 month implant 11 months ago. His testicles are still tiny. I'm wondering at his age if they'll ever come back. I did have him collected before having it done and he had good quality swimmers then.

So are you going ahead with the mating OSo? I haven't rad back through the thread but I htink your boy was given the implant for medical reasons? I assume there's no recurrence??

Ahh good to see I am not alone, I have far more friends in here than I thought :)

Are you going to collect him again later?

I am not mating her this time as I will have 19 dogs in the kennels over christmas and a bitch due to whelp around the 27th!! Not to mention the really hot weather we can have. Her next season will mean she will whelp in August which is a much better time. Finegrs crossed his swimmers will be back to normal by then :)

He was given it for medical reasons and at this stage there are no re-occuring issues. I hope it stays that way but I guess time will tell on that one.

I am following updates as well :D

Darcy's has finally worn completely off (well his behaviour is back to normal).....he got the 6 month one and that was done ohh about 16 months ago!!

Just had him go through Jovis' season for the first time and he was a pain in the butt whereas before he was chilled and calmer, it's the only thing I will miss when he was on the implant. :)

I am yet to get a sperm count done, but I am wanting to next year and hopefully it's good enough to collect to store at the same time as it would have been 2 years since the implant was put in.

Yep I thought that Lewis behaviour on her last season showed he had testosterone back welllllll this time he is a much hornier no brains boy. Yester day he tried to hump the pet sheep, today the cat which he has NEVER done! He is also racing straight to the yard when he goes outside and clawing at the fence and whinging and running the boundries. Before he took an avid interest but nothing like this.

I hope it means good things for the future though. He came froma litter of 10 and his mum and dad had another litter of wither 8 or 10 I think. His breeder said if he is anything liek his dad he will only have to walk past Rommi for her to fall pregnant!

Oh and Lewis's testicles were still tiny up until around 3 months ago, the were REALLY tiny then 12 months post implant seemed to get a bit bigger but then stopped again. I mated Rommi around February and they maybe were a little bigger but now they are ENORMOUS. they started suddenly getting bigger around probably 8 weeks ago? and rapidly got bigger to what they are now.

HIs testicles were that small most people assumed he was desexed. Not now!