For Those That Have Used The Suprelorin Implant

Okay a question again for those that have used Suprelorin. The testicles shrink when they have it, Do the testicles have to go back to pre-implant size to be producing viable sperm and them be fertile again? or can they be fertile and have smaller than previous testicles?

Thank you Crisovar, I am thinking of doing that, just a bit hard to get to right at the moment, will see what the next two days brings.

If willingness counts for anything then we are well on our way there!

Geez I love this place, so many helpful answers and different views :) I am wondering what I did for info pre DOL days :)

• 3 months later...

Well an update.

Lewis did not have viable sperm so no babies. His testicles have not increased in size past the initial amount they increased.

When Rommi next comes into season I will be getting a Semen sample from him to have it tested.

It will be 2 years in August since it was implanted - not happy !

Oh wow, what a coincidence! I was just rereading this thread last night and wondering how it was all going with Lewis! I dont blame you for not being happy, I know I wouldn't be! my boy has had the implant in just over 10 months now. I'm wondering if it's starting to wear off as On the weekend he was eyeballing an Akita and dobe and puffing him self up as we walked past them. I had to keep pulling him along as he didn't want to take his eyes off them which is not like him. I also Wont be happy if it takes 2 years to wear off or if his testes don't return to normal size. God I hope thats not the case. When is rommi due in season again?

Lewis's behaviour has returned to normal, as in his attitude, resilience and behaviour indicate his testosterone is returning/getting back to normal.

Around the 12 month mark I noticed a reasonable change in his behaviour. He mated happily and showed no signs a low libedo.

Rommi is due from October so will semen test him then as we also have a person with an outside bitch that is interested in a stud service.

I did read somehwere 80% of dogs have returned to full fertility after 2 years (12 month implant) - this I found out AFTER getting the 12 month implant done of course, otherwise I would have gone the 6 month one.

• 2 months later...

Well it has been two years since he had the Suprelorin implant and nothing has changed since June. I am assuming this means he is still infertile. I will be semen testing him when Rommi comes into season next - around October.

His testicles are still around half normal size but firmer. His attitude is as per before the implant.

I can still feel a small amount of the implant. I am not sure if this is entirely normal(been told yes and no it should completely disappear by two different vets)I am wondering if due to a lack of body fat, the implant has been absorbed more slowly than if it was in a breed with a higher percentage of bodyfat - all speculation on my behalf. I am wondering if the fact I can feel some implant means that there is still an amount of the drug circulating therefore causing the infertility??? Once again speculation.

I would recommend anyone having to get this to go with the 6 month implant as by what I have read it "could" last 12 months and it isn't unusual for the 12 month one to last 2 years!

Edited by OSoSwift

What a bugger OSS! :(

My boy had a 6 month one done about 13-14 months ago and it's finally worn off, not sure about fertility but everything else is back to normal, his attitude (didn't miss this one in regards to bitches! :laugh:), drive, coat and testical size.

I won't be getting him done again.

I won't be using it again either.

If I ever HAD to I would only ever go the 6 month one. But would only use it if was the only thing I could do. This was what I did in this case but made the mistake of using the 12 month implant.

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly I have very recently noticed that I could actually notice Lewis's testicles more easily.

Previously they were small, rather the size of a sultana grape. Today he was trotting along and I thought, hang on I can clearly see two testicles. Had a closer look and yep they appear to definately be bigger and are much firmer than they were. It appears maybe, and finally the Suprelorin is wearing off.

Am not holding my breathe as yet BUT if it has-finally- and they continue to grow back to their normal size, it has only taken 25 months from the implant date of a 12 month implant!

How do you know when the implant has worn off? Can the vet test? Or just go by behaviour and the testicles returning to normal size?

I'm curious to know what happens if you want to give a second implant, assuming you don't just give it at the point when the last one is 'due' to expire? Given that they can last up to double what they are supposed to...?

For him I think it is wearing off due to the fact his testicles are increasing in size. I assume you would do a testosterone or semen test if you wanted to know it had actually worn off or not.

When Rommi is next in I will do a semen test

Vets just reimplant on either 6 or 12 months

For him I think it is wearing off due to the fact his testicles are increasing in size. I assume you would do a testosterone or semen test if you wanted to know it had actually worn off or not.

Hmmm, that was my concern. My boy had the 6 month implant, has had it for around 4-5 months now and it's showing no signs of wearing off just yet. actually, up until around 6 weeks ago his testicles were still shrinking.

At this stage I'd like to continue with the Suprelorin rather than desex him but am not keen on giving him a double dose. I presume that if the vet put in a second implant before the first had completely worn off that the dog would be getting a higher dose of hormones? (or what-ever is in it)? I'm trying to get my head around it...

Kei was the first dog that our vet had done so they have no experience with it either.

Hmmm, that was my concern. My boy had the 6 month implant, has had it for around 4-5 months now and it's showing no signs of wearing off just yet. actually, up until around 6 weeks ago his testicles were still shrinking.

At this stage I'd like to continue with the Suprelorin rather than desex him but am not keen on giving him a double dose. I presume that if the vet put in a second implant before the first had completely worn off that the dog would be getting a higher dose of hormones? (or what-ever is in it)? I'm trying to get my head around it...

Kei was the first dog that our vet had done so they have no experience with it either.

if you are not going to breed with him what about a vasectomy? If you are going to breed with him there is no way I would be implanting anything ever again.

I would leave it and re-implant when you think it has worn off, or time it around your bitches seasons to make sure she cannot fall pregnant - if you know as yet what her cycles are like.

The only thing I could see as being annoying with a vasectomised dog is you would still need to seperate your dog and bitch as they would still mate and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them together and having them mate incase of injury. Also I see each mating as a potential for a bacterial infection.

SK How is his temperment going after his Suprelorin? I know it was a concern of yours before you used it.

The implant stops testosterone production so I guess it can only reduce it until it is gone. Yes they would have higher levels of the actual drug in their system. I would email the company and ask them. I am guessing the affects of that happening would have been researched???

Rommi looks like she will be in season in the next 4 to 8 weeks - if things go as normal - so I will check his sperm count then.

My dog had the 6 month implant at the beginning of the year and I wondered how long it would remain effective.

At about the 7 month mark, Bruno's testicles started to return to normal size and he started humping the furniture with a vengeance :o so I'd say the time guide is pretty accurate for him. He weighs about 28kg. My vets own dogs are less than 10kg and he finds that the implants last much longer in them.

I've had no problems with Bruno having Suprelorin and have been happy with it. He has just had his second implant. We are dealing with some other health issues at the moment but I will probably wait until he needs a GA for something else, and have a vasectomy done then.

Edited by trinabean

if you are not going to breed with him what about a vasectomy? If you are going to breed with him there is no way I would be implanting anything ever again.

He won't be bred from. II'd like to re-implant at least once more before deciding whether to give him a vasectomy, desex, or leave him entire.

I would leave it and re-implant when you think it has worn off, or time it around your bitches seasons to make sure she cannot fall pregnant - if you know as yet what her cycles are like.

The only thing I could see as being annoying with a vasectomised dog is you would still need to seperate your dog and bitch as they would still mate and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them together and having them mate incase of injury. Also I see each mating as a potential for a bacterial infection.

SK How is his temperment going after his Suprelorin? I know it was a concern of yours before you used it.

That was the plan. I'm not sure what her seasons are like yet as she's only just had her first. I have the facilities to separate them if need be though so while it's a PITA it's still do-able. He showed no interest in her at all with the implant which was good.

Temperament wise it has affected him. He's sookier (but I wouldn't say too much softer), less interested in other dogs (this is where I've noticed the biggest difference), still showing fear based re-activity towards strangers (I was concerned that may get worse but so far it hasn't).

The implant stops testosterone production so I guess it can only reduce it until it is gone. Yes they would have higher levels of the actual drug in their system. I would email the company and ask them. I am guessing the affects of that happening would have been researched???

Rommi looks like she will be in season in the next 4 to 8 weeks - if things go as normal - so I will check his sperm count then.

Good idea, I'll contact them soon and ask. smile.gif