Amstaffs Safe From Bsl In Qld

MellG

American Staffordshire Terriers will not be added to BSL restrictions:

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/S...e.aspx?id=70902

Huge thanks to Dogs QLD for all their efforts to ensure the future of the Amstaff!

And to Kylie Chivers and John Mokomoko (and all of us who sent letters every week) for continually proving that hard work and perseverance pays off.

Without them continually working hard to rid QLD of BSL, and proving several points along the way this may never have happened so quickly.

Huge thanks to Dogs QLD for all their efforts to ensure the future of the Amstaff!

And to Kylie Chivers and John Mokomoko (and all of us who sent letters every week) for continually proving that hard work and perseverance pays off.

Without them continually working hard to rid QLD of BSL, and proving several points along the way this may never have happened so quickly.

For sure Kylie and John deserve recognition here for their hard work, time and effort involved in this. Thank you!! :cry: I hope this means you will be able to get your own dog Tango home. :cry:

A huge thank you to John and Kylie and there team, and to all the people that stood by us and wrote letters, sent in submissions.

Thank you for you dedication over the last 6 years, without you this would of never happened. Amstaffs are safe because of you.

Go the 4 mousekeeters. :cry:

tybrax

Kylielou

Slight flaw in your reasoning.

The media statement has declared AMSTAFF separate to Pitbull ie the two sets of dogs do not intersect ie two separate circles not overlapping. So no Amstaff is a pitbull and no pitbull is an Amstaff, which is what the breed registry would suggest. Though all dogs might have some common ancestry it goes beyond/before the breed registers. The person who made the argument that pitbull and amstaff were the same could have used a similar argument to say that a JRT and a pitbull are the same.

The statement basically calls the judgement wrong. Or redefines the criteria on which the judgement was made. Hence my (unanswered?) question of whether this means the judgement is overturned or made void or set aside? or whatever the legal term for negating it is.

You'd have to go to federal court to get the restriction overturned as it is at the National level - prohibited imports and all.

BSL is still a stupid and ineffective way to prevent dog bites.

Kylielou

Slight flaw in your reasoning.

The media statement has declared AMSTAFF separate to Pitbull ie the two sets of dogs do not intersect ie two separate circles not overlapping. So no Amstaff is a pitbull and no pitbull is an Amstaff, which is what the breed registry would suggest. Though all dogs might have some common ancestry it goes beyond/before the breed registers. The person who made the argument that pitbull and amstaff were the same could have used a similar argument to say that a JRT and a pitbull are the same.

The statement basically calls the judgement wrong. Or redefines the criteria on which the judgement was made. Hence my (unanswered?) question of whether this means the judgement is overturned or made void or set aside? or whatever the legal term for negating it is.

You'd have to go to federal court to get the restriction overturned as it is at the National level - prohibited imports and all.

BSL is still a stupid and ineffective way to prevent dog bites.

Yes seperate for the purposes of the animal control act, (which basically is no amendment as nothing will have to change as amstaffs aren't mentioned), but how can this be when they've argued thay're the same? how will they know an amstaff from a pitbull... how can they possibly tell? how can they not overlap? ....... is it all lookalike mongrels will be declared pitbulls and only papered amstaffs safe from BSL.

As for it going to federal court to enable pitbull ownership i don't think that is the case, just because they're not allowed for import doesn't make them illegal if you get my drift. ie they're legal here in the NT and ACT.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Mell G and Dogs Qld for such a terrific outcome....your tireless work paid off for all of us Amstaff owners and we can breathe a little easier for the time being

I have followed Tango's case from the start and hopefully he will be returned home in the near future with better fencing to hold him in instead of wandering around the streets and being seized by the ranger which in my opinion started the ball rolling in the councils attempt to ban the Amstaff

:rofl:

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Mell G and Dogs Qld for such a terrific outcome....your tireless work paid off for all of us Amstaff owners and we can breathe a little easier for the time being

I have followed Tango's case from the start and hopefully he will be returned home in the near future with better fencing to hold him in instead of wandering around the streets and being seized by the ranger which in my opinion started the ball rolling in the councils attempt to ban the Amstaff

:laugh:

FYI, a quote from the BSL forum.

As for Mel G, the ex- president of the Qld Amstaff club, I still have her letter of support sent to her club members, unknowingly sent to me. The knife wound in the back has healed up nicely, and everyone knows where you stand on BSL and good luck with your new breed of dogs, Boston Terriers, I hear. Its good to see that in the last minutes of all this you come to take the full credit, it shows you are good for something

Dogs Qld, thanks for not supporting us as well and yes I do not want to be in your papered club membership. I am happy to support all dog owners regardless of breed or pedigree, so I completely understand you withdrawing any support as per your email. Tango as we all know has no papers, so funding and support should only go to your members, and to hell with those other dog owners…

Geo:

Dogs Qld, thanks for not supporting us as well and yes I do not want to be in your papered club membership. I am happy to support all dog owners regardless of breed or pedigree, so I completely understand you withdrawing any support as per your email. Tango as we all know has no papers, so funding and support should only go to your members, and to hell with those other dog owners…

I'd appreciate someone explaining why a Canine Control that raises its money from litter registrations and memberships could reasonably be expected to spend those funds on dogs that are not registered with it and in support of folk who aren't members either? :laugh:

They've protected their own. Perhaps if those who were responsible for the APBT not being a CC recognised dog had thought harder about the decision to go their own way, the outcome may have been different.

CC Papers were the best protection a bull breed could ever have in Queensland. That hasn't changed and how any person could breed OR buy a dog without that protection in that State beggars belief.

Thats not Geo's quote its quoted from someone else, I think it stems from the fact Tango having been proven to be an amstaff, from an amstaff sire and dam, the dam whose CCCQ/dogsqld registered litter mate was used as an ID tool.

Perhaps if those who were responsible for the APBT not being a CC recognised dog had thought harder about the decision to go their own way, the outcome may have been different.

CC Papers were the best protection a bull breed could ever have in Queensland. That hasn't changed and how any person could breed OR buy a dog without that protection in that State beggars belief.

Perhaps if the breeder of the Amstaff Tango registered the litter and tango in the first place then John wouldnt have needed to go into bat for all innocent dogs? The world works in mysterious ways though and so many are thank full for his efforts.

I cant even imagen what the state of BSL would be like in QLD now if it wasnt for all these court cases they wre involved with.

I dips me lid completly, Good job.

Edited by GeckoTree

Yep that was a quote from John,

I was just saying that it was more than what some people believe Dogs queensland done and of course the ex president of the qld amstaff club.

if people want to look out for their own, fine, but John has gone above and beyond and is trying to help fix the bigger issue of BSL which it seems alot of people with "unrestricted" dogs couldn't give a toss about.

If only more people took a leaf out of his book we'd be a lot better off.