Part Of Me Is Panicing. Should I Be?

Rileys mum

Thanks Persephone. It's the waiting around to see what happens that's the worst. Having Ruby has meant that if ever I was queasy about dog poo, I'm now no longer! :) There was the blanket, the rope from her sandpit, foot from her toy duck...not to mention stuff I didn't know about that 'appeared'- bits of rope toy, part of her dog bed that she destroyed a few weeks ago...

I just hope this too shall pass as they say :)

I gave my dog a lamb shank on vet's recommendation (maybe he was hoping to make more money out of me).

We had a late night vomit of a 20cm sized round bit, and then a very early morning (like 3am) pain in the nether regions and decidedly horrible uncomfortable number 2 problems.

But it did all come out ok in the end. I just wouldn't do that to her again any time soon.

How do you teach a dog to chew her food properly?

I gave my dog a lamb shank on vet's recommendation (maybe he was hoping to make more money out of me).

Wow, the vets can't win sometimes, can they? You recommend bones, you're just trying to make money from surgeries. You recommend against bones, you're just trying to make money from dentals... :)

Riley's Mum, I hope your boy is OK. I'm one of the people that don't feed weight bearing bones (unless they're way too big to swallow), but I know several dogs that are fed lamb shanks that do fine.

Two comments...

weight bearing much less relevant in lambs considering their lighter mass and the short time they are around; and

a dog who regularly consumes raw animal parts should have the low pH stomach all the better to digest fresh bone...as persephone said. Meaning, I'd be somewhat more concerned about a dry food eater who scoffed an infrequent bone.

At the shops yesterday I thought I might get the dogs a nice treat of some lamb ribs. Get home give them one each. Banjie's one was kind of like 2 stuck together- 1 really long one.

We are sitting outside with them but not exactly watching them closly. We notice a last piece going down Luda's mounth and think its strange that she eate it so quickly! Look over to banjie and we is slowly eating his like a snake! Not even chewing it! its all going down together! He starts to kind of cough with half of it still haning out his mouth so I have aheart attack and run over and try and get him to spit it out. I end up slowly pulling the whole thing back out of this throat! He didn't even chew it or break it apart or anything! he has just swallowing the whole thing in 1 piece! Needless to say it was chucked out and they wont be getting anymore lamb ribs! Now I just hope the one Luda inhaled is going to pass ok :thumbsup: The actually rib was quite soft so hopefully it will be ok.

Silly doglets and silly mum for not watching more carefully!

Glad this thread could be revived to help someone else. Riley never had any issue from his bone crunching experience which was good. I was worried for days though and he hasn't had a shank since. Silly I know but seeing the razor sharp splintered end I would never forgive myself if the worst happened.

Hopefully your dog will pass the bone easily :thumbsup: you must be a poo expert by now lol.