Caravan With Dogs?

poochiemama

I am trying to organise a small holiday with the dogs; i have never been in a caravan before, but just saw the website for best friends holiday retreat and noticed they have caravan parks where you can bring your dogs. Has anyway done the caravan park thing with dogs? what should I expect? and how easy is it to travel with dog in a caravan? Should I just book a dog friendly cottage instead? I live in Melbourne, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Hopefully you get some responses poochiemama, as there have been similar threads in the past. Maybe search 'camping with dogs'

When we had our caravan (13ft), we sometimes took our 2 Cavs. Hubby built a temporary enclosure for the back of the caravan (where the door was), and filled in under the caravan so they couldn't escape. However they only went into to do their business and only under supervision.

It was fun having them with us, except the times we went when it was bad weather. They would jump up on everything and by the time we came home the inside of the caravan would be totally muddy eeek! So I don't recommend taking them during winter months lol

We picked caravan parks that allowed dogs, as long as they they don't make a nuisance of themselves.

We have also stayed at a dog friendly B@B, which was more enjoyable IMO ;-)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

ps.. Not sure what you meant with ''how easy is to travel with dog in a caravan'?

We never ever had the dogs in the caravan while actually traveling, they were always in our 4 wheel drive with us. You probably didn't mean it that way anyway

:)

I once saw a caravan park on a website, not sure which state it was in? but they had these undercover enclosures. I think they were fully fenced too. That would be a perfect option ! ;)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I've taken Edward on a camping holiday - only for a week though. It was really great. I had a long line for when we were sitting outside. We met lots of other people travelling with dogs and that was great too. The dog caravan parks we stayed at were good and all the dogs staying there were well behaved. We went from Albury to Mildura.

I do think Edward wondered what on earth was going on - living in a little box ;)

The b&bs often have the advantage of a yard for your dog - a bit more freedom.

Thank you...I have no idea about caravans , i actually thought you put the dogs in the caravan with you! I think it may be a little difficult to organise - we would have to hire one.

I am going to look into a dog friendly cottage or something near melbourne which we can drive to...thank you for your reply!

A friend is currently travelling up in the Northern Territory and Western Australia with the caravan and their German Shepherd they have no problems with their girl. Like someone said before she has a long line when they are at the van as she lives in a caravan park normally it is no different to her. Dogs adjust very easily I find as long as their family are with them. Edited to add that if they are going on a day trip they just book her into either a doggy day care centre or a boarding kennel so carry a current vaccination certificate.

Edited by PRADA68

Thank you...I have no idea about caravans , i actually thought you put the dogs in the caravan with you! I think it may be a little difficult to organise - we would have to hire one.

I am going to look into a dog friendly cottage or something near melbourne which we can drive to...thank you for your reply!

Oh yeah we had them in the caravan with us once we were at the actual caravan park, just not while traveling ;)

Check this thread out about dog friendly accommodation. It might be of some help. Goodluck! :)

as a kid i went round to lots of parts of australia with the fam..caravan in tow

we had a dachsie and back then practically all sites accepted pets

ours stuck close to the van and didnt wander off

now some parks allow you dogs but must be leashed and this is usually only in offpeak

too restrictive i think so id go a cottage

Hi Poochiemama, this place is awesome http://countrywidecottages.com.au/

We took our 2 dogs there a few months ago and stayed for 3 nights. We did not want to come home.

Di, the host is amazing and dogs are welcome to stay inside the cottages. Super dog friendly.

The cottages are very clean and have everything you could need. Classes, yet still down to earth.

We have already booked for next year, and we will stay longer this time.

It is only a 10 minute drive from Winchelsea.

Edited by dyzney

Hi Poochiemama, this place is awesome http://countrywidecottages.com.au/

We took our 2 dogs there a few months ago and stayed for 3 nights. We did not want to come home.

Di, the host is amazing and dogs are welcome to stay inside the cottages. Super dog friendly.

The cottages are very clean and have everything you could need. Classes, yet still down to earth.

We have already booked for next year, and we will stay longer this time.

It is only a 10 minute drive from Winchelsea.

Funny, I was just looking at their website...it looks great. are there any fenced areas for them to run around in? THey mentioned something about a damn or paddock? My husband wants to go somewhere where there are also nice things for the humans to do in the area! Are their any cute cafes or shops or something around there? THanks

I am trying to organise a small holiday with the dogs; i have never been in a caravan before, but just saw the website for best friends holiday retreat and noticed they have caravan parks where you can bring your dogs. Has anyway done the caravan park thing with dogs? what should I expect? and how easy is it to travel with dog in a caravan? Should I just book a dog friendly cottage instead? I live in Melbourne, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Are you talking about Best Friend Holiday Retreat in South Gippsland? If you are its a great place to take your dogs. You can take your own caravan or rent one of their cabins. One of the rules is your dog must sleep inside with you. Hope this helps.

All check out Pet Friendly Accomodation in important topics, General Discussion.

Edited by kelpiekaye

I just got home from camping this weekend, took my Gypsy she had an awesome time but has now totally crashed out on the couch!

I think it depends on the dog when traveling, we traveled a lot with our dog when she was younger. She's generally quiet and well behaved so it was easy.

Maybe a few shorter trips first off to get the dogs used to caravanning.

I used to chain my dog in the annexe at night with her bedding etc.......

I have travelled with 3 German Shepherds and the only place I ever had a problem was Coolalinga Caravan park at Darwin. I had booked in months prior and it was fine, we arrived there in 2008 for the show season and the caravan park had changed hands and the responce was I dont like German Shepherds they eat people. Well shall I say I was a bit jacked off as I had also paid up in the end we were allowed stay but one complaint about my dogs barking or growling at anyone and we were out. Needless to say we stayed there for the 4 weeks but never again. He even had the hide to ask me where my dogs were when they were sitting in the annexe looking at him out the gauze window. I will never stay there again.

My dogs have been all over QLD and NT and that is the only problem I ever had, and he only had a problem wih GSD'S.

If you call ahead you should be fine but you will find most of them take white fluffies lol.

When we travel we stay in a lot of free places which is fine with us cause we are self sufficent and I always amcongratulated on the good behaviour of my dogs. At day they are either in the back of the car or in the van with us and at night time they sleep in the van with us. ANd even on the side of the road in the scrub I pick up my dog poos.

If you dont already own a caravan then you will need to look for pet friendly cottages.

I am not sure if there are any rental places where you can just rent a caravan for the week and hitch it up to your car and take off. Especially ones that let you put dogs in the rental caravan. Sometimes you can find a caravan park that has onsite caravans or cabins but once again 99.9% of those dont allow dogs inside either.

There are quite a few dog friendly cottages around but how your dog will react is totally up to how much it has been trained and how it normally reacts in new situations. Some cottages we have stayed in wont allow dogs to sleep on the human beds or couches and I think as dog owners we need to respect that so that all dog owners can continue to enjoy the few places that will let us take their dogs. There is no use taking a dog that is used to sleeping on your bed at home to a strange place and expecting it to sleep on the floor if it hasnt been trained to do that. You wont enjoy your holiday if you have been kept awake all night by crying.

You can rent caravans, but I don't know if they will allow you to have dogs in rental caravans. And most, if not all caravan parks I've come across do not allow dogs in their onsite caravans. We holiday with our dogs, and we camp 99% of the time.

Camping's something I haven't considered...that could be quite fun;

Are camping sites fenced off? I wouldn't want them escaping, and although our lab's recall is perfect, I can't say the same about our goldie...

I'm going to look into camping and find out more about it..

They have stayed at cottages before and we had a blast , they were pretty well-behaved.

Thanks for all the replies ... I just want to do something different with our holiday this time so I'm looking at things we haven't done much of before.

I haven't camped in a place yet that has been fenced off. Both mine are perfect with their recalls and generally stay around the camp site or snooze in the tent/car. I always carry a leash with me though around the camp site and obey the rules if the camp site says dogs must be on leash.

Your best option is either crate them or tether them if they are a bit dubious with recalls.

If you want a good idea of what to take camping, with the dogs, check out these threads:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...&hl=camping

We have camped with our 4 dogs heaps of times & have now upgraded to a caravan, the dogs are crated most of the day but get training & usually a huge big run on the beach (leash free areas) everyday. They love going away with us, you do get some places that will allow small dogs but not large ones & occasionally somewhere that will only allow a max of 1 or 2 dogs but all of the places we've been have been happy to have us as our dogs are so well behaved :thumbsup: .