Council Ranger Threatens To Fine Rescuer Of Lost Dogs

SarasMum

Well...every Vet clinic I've worked at has taken in any stray and wandering dogs that the Public have found. We give them a

thorough once over, give em a drink, check for a chip, call owners if there is any contact details or call the Council if there is none.

If it is on the Weekend, Boss will stay behind until council comes to pick up.

Fortunately...the council area we are in...DOESN'T harrass us about keeping these animals in clinic until they arrive.

An old boxer was dumped outside my house once, main road, lots of traffic. The next door neighbour took the dog and said they would hold the dog overnight and call the pound in the morning if the owner hadn't been found. I got up early next morning to take my dogs for a walk and found the old dog out on the road again. Neighbours had let the dog go during the night as they couldn't be bothered with it. :) All they had to do was knock on my door and say "here, you look after it".

I had to wave down traffic so I could catch this poor thing, then lock it in a show cage, feed it, water it and called the pound.

Moral of the story - just because someone assumes responsibility for a found animal doesn't mean that in a few hours time they won't open the gate and let the animal go.

I would much rather my dogs be handed over to the pound immediately than be "held" by someone in the hope that an owner turns up.

Any dogs I have found have been sent to the council pound or at least the pound has been notified. Some times they were full tehy asked me to hold it if I was prepared. IF I now find something I take it to the vet and they look for a cip and contact the owners, only becuase travelling through I usually cannot contact the council and am usually on the run to do something, if they cannot find a chip or owners they then contact the pound. No one has the right to hold an animal in their care without informing council it is the law. If my animals were found I would want them to be handed to the council or vet to be returned to me as well. Not that I would like to see my pets in any pound!

I live at wagga and have found a wandering beagle and took it to the vets . They were really nice about it and told me they would check for a microchip and advise the rangers that they had it. It turned out it was a customers dog and was reunited with its family pretty quickly. They told me that if it wasnt chipped they hold onto it and get the ranger to pick it up in the afternoon and they let the other vet practises know incase anyone rings looking for their dog.

Receptionist tried to call the number from his chip but no answer then suggested I just put him back on the road where I found him.

What a dreadful suggestion! Thank goodness you took him home & kept trying the phone no from his 'chip'.