Pregnant Lab Girl Found!

t-time

funny how now that nobody has found any legal requirement to hand over a dog to a pound that you do a backflip when you once said that IT WAS THE LAW.

I'm not saying (and never have (nor has anyone else I might add)) that the dog should be transferred to anyone before legal ownership has been sorted out. With that said, placing a dog in the pound (IMO) is just as, if not more dangerous than not. If the proper (and again, these are not legislation, but my opinion on what is right) procedures are followed (ie. pictures of the dog given/sent to the pounds in the area with a phone call/email saying that a dog has been found, include a description and of course contact details) then I see no reason why someone who makes it as far as the pound wont find their dog.

Edited by Joel

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is wrong to take and sell things that don't belong to you. Regardless of how caring you think you are.

Wow. Yeah sure you should not intentionally steal from someone, which is what you seem to be trying to accuse these people of. But this is not just a 'thing' like a piece of furniture that could just wait to be found by its owner, this a pregnant young dog. It makes a huge difference to both mum and pups if they have a good home and start in life - time is of the essence. No-one is trying to steal this dog, and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but I do think you owe a few people an apology because reading this thread, it would appear you have effectively accused them of stealing and I think that given the circumstances and the nature of the 'things' we are dealing with, that is entirely unfair.

Given that they don't know whether or not the dog has an owner, what sort of person that owner is, the fact that they have made no effort to make sure she could be recovered in such an event as this (ie through having a collar or microchip) and especially the delicate situation the lab finds herself in, surely you must agree that finding a home with a responsible and experienced dog owner is potentially the best outcome for this dog. You can't just wait around on the off chance the owner shows up and reclaims their dog, because during that time the dog is likely to require medical and emotional care and her pups will need a home to grow up in.

Gosh sometimes people on these forums just astound me.

the fact that they have made no effort to make sure she could be recovered in such an event as this (ie through having a collar or microchip)

Breakaway collars..............breakaway. Microchips......move around.

Absolutely.

and was found on the street at 8 months old pregnant....

If you look in the Lost & Found threads, you may notice some heartbroken owners continuing to search after a long period of time.

An undesexed dog wouldn't have much difficulty in getting pregnant while missing.

Surely someone would have picked the pup up within hours of her missing being that age?

Puppies which go missing so young are normally either found straight away or are stolen.

If I had her here, I would put ads up in lost and found everywhere I can and contact the pounds with her details and get them to phone me if there is any dog on the database fitting the description...like i did with my cat. After 7 days she was mine to keep as no-one claimed her.

It is wrong to take and sell things that don't belong to you. Regardless of how caring you think you are.

Wow. Yeah sure you should not intentionally steal from someone, which is what you seem to be trying to accuse these people of. But this is not just a 'thing' like a piece of furniture that could just wait to be found by its owner, this a pregnant young dog. It makes a huge difference to both mum and pups if they have a good home and start in life - time is of the essence. No-one is trying to steal this dog, and I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, but I do think you owe a few people an apology because reading this thread, it would appear you have effectively accused them of stealing and I think that given the circumstances and the nature of the 'things' we are dealing with, that is entirely unfair.

Given that they don't know whether or not the dog has an owner, what sort of person that owner is, the fact that they have made no effort to make sure she could be recovered in such an event as this (ie through having a collar or microchip) and especially the delicate situation the lab finds herself in, surely you must agree that finding a home with a responsible and experienced dog owner is potentially the best outcome for this dog. You can't just wait around on the off chance the owner shows up and reclaims their dog, because during that time the dog is likely to require medical and emotional care and her pups will need a home to grow up in.

Greytmate does not need to apologise to anyone.

The dog MAY have an owner, who is frantically searching for her. You do not know if people have made the effort to find her. Some dogs who have gone missing for WEEKS have had their owners frantically searching all that time. There was a sad case where a person's dog went missing, they had placed advertisements everyday for EIGHT MONTHS in the paper. The dog was never found. It doesn't matter if the owner is an irresponsible moron, the point is they are still the legal owner of the dog [this is assuming she has an owner].

The fact the dog is pregnant is irrelevant. The dog needs to stand a good chance of finding her previous home if she has one, and the best place for that is the pound. Whilst I don't agree that a pound is the best place for a heavily pregnant dog, and that the pound doesn't seem interested in her welfare, the person who has her NEEDS to leave the dogs details with the pound and a contact number. Until that is done, and no one steps forward as the owner, no legal ownership can be established and selling her or the puppies could potentially be stealing.

TO THE OP:

Your friend needs to recontact the pound and leave details of the dog with them just incase there is an owner. Hopefully they will get someone a little more helpful on the phone this time who can explain what steps need to be taken.

Surely someone would have picked the pup up within hours of her missing being that age?

Puppies which go missing so young are normally either found straight away or are stolen.

A lot of dogs once lost get very skittish when they realise they are lost and don't allow people to catch them. Last dog I picked up walked up to my car as we pulled up to an intersection. It took almost TWO HOURS for me and my partner to catch the dog. It would skitter away whenever we got too close, but once we caught the dog he was the smoochiest thing. Most non dog people would give up after about 10 minutes of not being able to catch the dog.

do you have the stats on this, would love to see them as I am very interested

not that i would say that anyone needs to apologize, i do agree that it SEEMED like certain people were being accused of stealing this dog, which does not seem to be the case to me and was therefore unfair to say that (whether it was meant that way is another thing entirely, im just saying that it READ that way).

I think everyone here (apart from those that believe that it should be dropped at the pound full stop) believe that of course details need to be left with the pound(s) so the owner has a CHANCE to recover their dog. Whether they do or not is another story. Really, I think that if someone wants to find their dog who is LOST (not stolen or killed by a car or something similar) then they will most likely find them. I think that the stories of people who search for months are of those who've had their dogs stolen or killed (as sad as it is (which is very. I know when my dogs have gotten out they've been some of the most traumatic and scary times in my life)). I think that the waiting period should be longer than a week, probably two, and that 3 days is a bit ridiculous. My partner had a dog when she was younger that ran more than 50 minutes drive way. I mean, thats a bit further than the local council's area. It takes time to find a dog that has potentially gone that far.

not that i would say that anyone needs to apologize, i do agree that it SEEMED like certain people were being accused of stealing this dog, which does not seem to be the case to me and was therefore unfair to say that (whether it was meant that way is another thing entirely, im just saying that it READ that way).

I think everyone here (apart from those that believe that it should be dropped at the pound full stop) believe that of course details need to be left with the pound(s) so the owner has a CHANCE to recover their dog. Whether they do or not is another story. Really, I think that if someone wants to find their dog who is LOST (not stolen or killed by a car or something similar) then they will most likely find them. I think that the stories of people who search for months are of those who've had their dogs stolen or killed (as sad as it is (which is very. I know when my dogs have gotten out they've been some of the most traumatic and scary times in my life)). I think that the waiting period should be longer than a week, probably two, and that 3 days is a bit ridiculous. My partner had a dog when she was younger that ran more than 50 minutes drive way. I mean, thats a bit further than the local council's area. It takes time to find a dog that has potentially gone that far.

Exactly my point. Most of the time when I pick up dogs I take them to the local vet and the vet generally finds the owner. Our local 'pound' is the RSPCA and you can't drop lost dogs there, the rangers have to pick them up. I've only ever dropped one dog off to a pound.

And you are spot on with the wandering. I once found a cat underneath my parents house who'd wandered up from three suburbs away over hills and farmland after a storm.

I was under the assumption that in QLD all you have to do is notify the pound that you have the dog and if no one claims it within 7 days (or 3 days, cannot remember) it is yours

Wrong I know but true

The bitch has gone to a relative of the workmate who intends to whelp her and then desex - naturally I have no definitive way of knowing that this is what will happen.

I have recommended (via my partner) that they still contact the rescue organisations which have been suggested to ensure good responsible homes for the pups but at this stage, they would like to keep the bitch.

The pound has been notified apparently, so if an owner comes forward, they have the contact details of the person now in possession of the bitch.

I really appreciate everyone's input into this discussion and the lovely generous offers of a good home for this girl (and there have been quite a few!) :heart:

This will be the end of it as my hands are tied as to what actually happens with this particular girl but for all the kind-hearted people who felt they could offer a home to this sad case, please remember there are equally needy dogs out there looking for homes and those who are PTS each week for lack of a home. :angel:

The dog needs to be taken to either the pound or yes the RSPCA and serve her time or at least she must be listed on the pounds and RSPCA's date base as found , when I ran Save a Pound Dog Qld we helped a small heavily pregnant dog and it was through the RSPCA they desexed and aborted the babies I am sure they would do it again if a rescue group was interested in her, but this dog could of been stolen a while ago before she got pregnant for all we know. I find it very strange that they said they would put her down straight away.

Geez, I hope I never lose a heavily pregnant bitch after paying a stud fee and caring for her throughout her pregnancy only to have the pups aborted and the bitch desexed???

I agree with pretty much everything joel has said, and would like to add that if it were my dog i would def rather it be in someones home than a pound (i volunteer at a pound/shelter and would not want my dogs to have to go through that for even one day) i would of thought more ppl would feel that way, maybe it might take me an extra day or two to find them but i would rather it be me more stressed out looking for them then them going out of their minds sitting in a tiny pound cell in the cold with no sun and dogs barking, barking, barking. Also as others have said 3 day???? my dads dogs when i was young got out and went for a wonder.... a week later they were found running through a farmers sheep paddock, the farmer was going to shoot them but took the time to realise they were not chasing the sheep just running through the paddock and that they had collors on so were someones pet, he caught em and called the council and because my parents had left discriptions of these dogs, all the council had to do was call my parents, one of my best memories as a kid is my dad coming and pulling me out of class walking me to the ute and pulling back the tarp and me seeing my best friend and tinker sitting there looking a bit worse for wear but good other than that, they had been following the coast through farm land and were a good half an hr drive away along the rd which wasnt half as long as the distance they went. If they had of been picked up any further along it would not of been our council that was notified so maybe we would not of found them in time???

Hmmm I have to agree with ash&elar. Leaving aside all the arguments in here re law and peoples different ethical standpoints, my personal hope would be that if I happened to lose one of my dogs that someone would take her/him home and contact the local vets/RSPCA/shelters/pounds/councils to let them know they have the dog. Also that they'd take my dog into the vet and have them check for microchip details. But mostly I would hope like hell that they did NOT hand her/him in to the pound and most definitely not to the RSPCA. That's the last place I'd want my precious dogs to end up.

Of course if I lost my dogs around here everyone knows who they belong to and the vets in the nearest towns in either direction and two Launceston vets would also be able to immediately identify both of them as mine without even needing a microchip check so that's a reassuring thing.

:thumbsup: i had a timmy or several when i was a kid growing up on the farm --- but i always called 'em lamsy :champagne:

:laugh: Yeah idk he is very demanding, lucky we not expecting anymore for a few months his mum was the second last to drop.