Advice Needed For Council Approval For 3 Dogs

GRLC

Well i have just moved to WA with our 3 dogs . Bebe a staffordshire bull terrier who is nearly 10 , Che a rottweiler who is 8, and Diesel another staffordshire Bull terrier who is 5 . On Arrival here 1 of the first things i did was seek council approval for 3 dogs . Went to the council filled out an application provided a reference from a neighbour who happened to also be my obedience instructor PAID registration for the 3 dogs for 3 years and waited for further contact . Council wrote stating thank you for your application and advised us that we would need a property inspection completed . We have had no contact since until today when i received a letter from them stating that application has been rejected and we can either appeal the decision or relocate one of the dogs within 3 months . The letter stated application had been rejected due to the following :

1. the size of the block at this residence is too small to keep this number of dogs

2. the size of the dogs involved are large (go figure ??? yes che would be considered large but definately not the two staffords )

3. the property is located within a suburban area

4. 2 objections were received raising concerns about the size of the lot where the dogs are being kept .

any advice would be greatly appreciated as i thought i was doing the right thing and i'm terribly upset about this .

Bebe is 100% blind and stays inside throughout the day and night except when we go for walks and when she does poos and wees

Diesel is obedience trained and he spends a lot of time living inside too and keeps Bebe company

Che is the dog who is outside a majority of the time .

The council contacted our neighbours and no one had an issue with us having 3 dogs . Their all microchipped , desexed they dont bark unless for a reason and they all have sufficient excercise . Our yard is a sufficient size for the dogs if it was where they spent a majority of their time and iwouldn't have purchased the property otherwise . Che and Bebes excercise requirements are quite different now then what they were when they were younger.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure i had all the information . Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated . Im so mad, lost and upset all at the same time . All i want to do is the right thing by my dogs and legally and it has been thrown back at me . If i had just registered the 2 dogs they wouldn't have been any of the wiser .

Thanks in advance

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appeal the decision.

Get some references from your vet and neighbours if possible too. Work the 'aged dogs' angle and add that its a one off request due to existing dog numbers and that you won't have three after one goes to God.

Unfortunately I don't have any advise on how to fix this but I will be following this with interest as we have 5 dogs and will be moving to NT in a couple of months and the coucil up there has a 2 dogs per property rule too. I can apply to have more than that but I don't like my chances of it being approved. My dogs are well behaved and are not problem barkers and I've never previously had any complaints from neighbours but I still think it's going to be a battle for us :laugh:

At a previous address I didn't tell council that I had that many dogs. They never found out as no-one complained. Just tell them you got rid of one as it sounds unlikely that anyone is going to see or hear the oldest dog anyway.

Appeal the decision.

Get some references from your vet and neighbours if possible too. Work the 'aged dogs' angle and add that its a one off request due to existing dog numbers and that you won't have three after one goes to God.

Good advice

The main reason normally for non approval is neighbors.

Be careful if you try & hide the dog

I would firstly ask for a meeting discussing what has happened.

Do you have any paperwork where it states a property inspection must take place ??

When you applied did you inform them of the old dogs issues??

Are you a member of Dogs WA? If so, find out if they have a liaison officer like we do in NSW. He is the first point of contact for any Dogs NSW members that have issues with their council. We don't have the dog numbers problem any more because the state govt. rules do not limit numbers, but members that have other issues with their council are asked to contact the liaison officer before dealing with the issue.

Are you a member of Dogs WA? If so, find out if they have a liaison officer like we do in NSW. He is the first point of contact for any Dogs NSW members that have issues with their council. We don't have the dog numbers problem any more because the state govt. rules do not limit numbers, but members that have other issues with their council are asked to contact the liaison officer before dealing with the issue.

No we don't

I wish WA had the NSW dog laws in regards to keeping multiple dogs. Good luck.

Ditto :)

I wonder how NSW came to have that law but the rest of the country doesn't? I wish they would all follow their lead. My local council won't even take applications for extra dogs! Flat out 2 and that's the final word.

GRLC, I don't have any advice myself but hopefully if you appeal it they will allow you to keep all your pooches. Best of luck!

I believe that Alan Candlish has retired from the position with Dogs NSW.

Dogs Qld employed a full time Government & Agency Liaison officer (Mark Sheppard) in December 2009.

Every Local Council has different rules and regs in respect of dogs.

Almost all use a standard "as of right" template which usually allows 2 dogs, registered, microchipped.

You have moved into an area where your Local Council simply uses the standard template.

The best way to check the requirements is to get hold of a copy of the Subordinate Local Law which applies to Animal Keeping.

Once you familiarise yourself with the Local Law then try to meet with the head of your Local Council Animal Management team.

DON"T go to the Mayor or your local Councillor - do the initial legwork yourself.

And please don't rely on the word of a staff member at the "front desk" - almost always you will receive incorrect info.

Take your rejected application with you and then discuss (face to face) the possibility of applying for a harbouring license.

Many Councils offer this on compassionate grounds and it would certainly apply to the eldest of your dogs.

If approved it would allow you to keep an extra dog over and above the "as of right" minimum.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you.

Thanks everybody for the support and advice . I think i will approach the councile Blackdog to see if i can get a copy of the Subordinate Local Law to have a look at .

The council had details regarding our oldest dogs issues , they had also already contacted neighbours and the neighbours did not have an issue with the number of dogs at our home . They had references details of where the dogs were registered previously . I could understand their decision a little bit more if i was requesting approval for a puppy , but we have had all these dogs since puppies and our previous council was more than happy to grant approval for 3 dogs . They were more than happy for me to pay 3 years registration for all 3 dogs when i first put the application in . I will be appealing the decision and it gets reviewed by the state administrative tribunal it has to be appealed in 28 days . I will keep you all up to date on our progress . Any other advice would be greatly appreciated .

Hmm Councils can be difficult :) l had a huge problem a few years back as my x husband left his dogs on my property

Council took me to court for failing to comply.Witch was reduce the dog numbers.

All i can adivse would be maybe reg a dog elese were..Sorry not much help at all

Thanks everybody for the support and advice . I think i will approach the councile Blackdog to see if i can get a copy of the Subordinate Local Law to have a look at .

The council had details regarding our oldest dogs issues , they had also already contacted neighbours and the neighbours did not have an issue with the number of dogs at our home . They had references details of where the dogs were registered previously . I could understand their decision a little bit more if i was requesting approval for a puppy , but we have had all these dogs since puppies and our previous council was more than happy to grant approval for 3 dogs . They were more than happy for me to pay 3 years registration for all 3 dogs when i first put the application in . I will be appealing the decision and it gets reviewed by the state administrative tribunal it has to be appealed in 28 days . I will keep you all up to date on our progress . Any other advice would be greatly appreciated .

If all else fails, write to Councillors individually and go to the media.. works wonders at most levels of the political spectrum. Polish up your older dogs most pathetic expressions and milk them for all you are worth.

Hey, can I ask what Shire you live in??

I work for Local Governement in this particular area...

1st up there should of been an inspection. 2nd all decisions like this needs to go to Council for Council voting. Did you recieve notification that it went to Council?

If you didnt then apply for it to go to Council or at the very least put up a stink why you didnt recieve the notification If it goes to council then you can address them and give them a face to face reason on why you want to keep 3. This also gives you an oppurtunity to show that you care and it means something to you.. From my expereince most 3 dog apps fail if the owner isnt present at the Council meeting..

Also you can request copies of the objections via Freedom of Information. It may have the complainints details blacked out but you can see their reasoning and maybe come to a comprimise with the council for reconsideration if the concerns are fixed.

Your final option in going to STAT.. I dont believe it costs much, only your time. Also from my expereince STAT seems to be sympathetic if you give your pets medical reason...

PM me if you would like more info..

Gily

ETA i would stay away from the Councillors for the time being... You may accidently single out a non dog lover and this could hurt your chances in the long run..

Remember the rejection from Council is only their opinion.. It can always go further...

Edited by Gilypoo

I'd say definately appeal ! Bloody councils!!!!!!!!You think you're doing the right thing and look what happens!!!

I would have only registered 2 in the first place but its too late for that now.Tell them you've had a change of circumstances and one has gone to a relative or something, or as someone else suggested ask your neighbour if you can use their address.

Hope you manage to sort it out, I cant imagine what it would be like if I was told I had x amount of time to get rid of one of them....I'd just move!!!!!!