Tibetan Mastiffs

Steve

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/06/tibeta...00000-in-china/

Meet the Tibetan mastiff. This breed can measure up to three feet tall and weigh up to 180 pounds. And in China, these dogs are all the rage.

The pups are considered holy — legend dubbed them the guardian dogs of Tibet. Their presence is said to help humans' health and security. But mostly, they seem to be a status symbol for Chinese millionaires, according to a report on The Today Show. (See pictures from behind the scenes at the Westminster dog show.)

One couple said they forked over $600,000 for their mastiff, named Yangtze River Number Two, and transported him to their home via a fleet of Mercedes sedans. Their dog was worth the price, they said, because of his pure bloodline, which is extremely rare. (Wonder how Yangtze River Number Two would look with multicolor fur.)

After all the money spent, these dogs may not have the qualities to be a perfect pet. Though loyal to their owners, they can be vicious to strangers — and all that hair must shed like crazy. Plus, they're used to breathing at high altitudes, which is a problem for those living at sea-level locations in China.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/06/tibeta.../#ixzz0vs0uBHSF

Beautiful dogs. All Tibetan breeds are considered Holy. The Tibetan Mastiff is one of the Tibetan breeds that the Chinese all but wiped out during their invasion of Tibet. Pity they didn't think they were Holy when they killed them during the invasion. I feel very special having Tibetan Terriers in my life.

Marion01

I wonder if a teacup Tibetan Mastiff would be worth 2 x $600,000. I know one, also named Yangtze, who lives in Brisbane.

(Psssst! Don't tell prospective buyers, but the Brisbane Yangtze is actually a dainty Tibetan Spaniel girl. :provoke: )

Slightly OT. But a Qld Tibetan Spaniel show person told me that her 6 month old Tibbie girl, took off for a great adventure at a dog show at Durack.

She was frantic...where to look for her pup among the hundreds of dogs there.

The Tibbie puppy was found, safely sitting between the front paws of a giant Tibetan Mastiff.

Puppy must have thought, 'This bloke speaks my language and looks like a good place to shelter!' :hug:

Edited by mita